1/35th scale AH-1W vacuform Canopy- Anyone interested?

There is a demand for it. Maybe even more then for G Cobra. I was working on a master myself and the only thing I have doubts is - should it be designed for old SuperCobra kits (MRC/AFV/Italeri) or new ones (Academy NTS/Cobra Co NTS) I might be wrong but there is a differense in the front section....

Andy

Floyd,

As the nose profiles are different on both helo's, the front portion of the windscreen is obviously different. This causes the two forward side panels to be a different shape as well. Simply put, one canopy for both versions would not work.

I would take advantage of the newly released NTS Cobra from MRC/Academy and do a canopy for it. Besides, there are a couple of decal sheets coming for that bird that could assist your sales!.....hint, hint

Dave

Is the new Academy NTS nose the same profile as the Cobra Company nose? If the canopy was for the NTS, I'd personally want it to fit the CC conversion because I've passed on spending money on the new Academy kit since I already have the old kit plus the CC set. Others may be in the same situation.

Hey Floyd,

Got a link to order the vac canopies for AH-1G handy there? :thumbsup:

Good to go,

Jim

Jim,

You can email me directly at fwernerjr@comcast.net. There is no website link. I take paypal at the same address. The cost is $7 each plus $4 shipping for US customers. Shipping varies for overseas.

Floyd

Floyd,

As the nose profiles are different on both helo's, the front portion of the windscreen is obviously different. This causes the two forward side panels to be a different shape as well. Simply put, one canopy for both versions would not work.

I would take advantage of the newly released NTS Cobra from MRC/Academy and do a canopy for it. Besides, there are a couple of decal sheets coming for that bird that could assist your sales!.....hint, hint

Dave

I thought so. Dave do you have some photos that will show me exactly the difference? It is always the Marines that have to be difficult. LOL

Are the window panels the same NSN (National Stock Number) in the parts manual? I'm assuming the sides are the same it is just the top part of the window that is shorter to make up for the contour difference. I don't want to finance both canopies as this would be cost prohibitive for me at least at this time.

Seems that both types are wanted though.

Floyd

Dave Williams hit it, Cobra Company or Academy NTS? Or old Academy kit? Bottom line, I'd buy 'em, so there you go. Oh since the CC NTS nose is done by the modeler, leave a little extra on there. Know what I mean? Let's get that OH-58D set done again, how about a canopy for that?

Chuck

OK after checking out this thread (got to love this site) http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....AH-1W+NTS+Cobra

I think the way to go is to do a basic AH-1W canopy and then provide instructions on how to modify it to the NTS configuration. This way you can modify it to the CC conversion or the Academy/MRC model. Unless anybody else has some better way to do it. I can't believe the Marines would do anything different other than cut the window back to fit. Hopefully someone has the MWO (modification work order or whatever the Marines call them) that will tell us what is the difference and how it was done. My thought is that the Marines probably include in the MWO to cut the window back X number of inches to allow for the bucket and fairing. I could be wrong here so someone set me right.

Dave I'd love to have the measurements so that I can include them.

Floyd

OK, cutting back the clear part isn't the issue, that would be a piece of cake. However, the actual frame (the metal part around the glass) of the side windows are at different lengths and angles between the two aircraft due to the higher nose profile of the NTS upgrade. The center front glass panel is also shorter on the NTS bird than it is on the non-NTS bird.

If you design a single canopy for the non-NTS and have the modeler cut it back to fit an NTS fitted kit, you've just had that modeler make your correction inaccurate because the integrity of the framing detail will be compromised.

Unless you don't plan on replicating the frame detail of the windows, this won't work.

Could the angles of metal not be replicated with layers of paint? As for the upper window, I'm not sure if this could be incorporated into a vac canopy. This part may be a job for Cobra Company. The Wire Stike Protection Sytem (WSPS) will be very difficult to mold in a vac canopy. On an injection canopy no problem but with a vac you have to decide which is more important, clarity or accuracy.

I'll look over the two kits tomorrow (yes I have them all LOL) and try to figure something out. I think this may be too expensive for me to do both and be happy with the results. Who knows maybe I can do both, I'll have to check with my master pattern maker. How are the bulges on the MRC canopies are they accurate? The reason I ask is that if I don't have to pay someone to "bulge" them for me the cost may not be prohibitive. If we are just talking of getting the canopy upper shape correct to take out the camel hump look of the kit canopy it may be easier to work with and less expensive.

Floyd

The WSPS would difinitely have to be done in another medium (like resin as you suggested). This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't products. Regardless of how you end up designing it, you'll have to compromise something and it will 'disappoint' 50% of the people that buy it.

My vote goes for a correctly blown NTS canopy with the proper outline. I can add the forward frame details myself. As long as we have a good base product, it is better than the kit pieces.

The 50% that whine can suck it up.

Sorry, I jumped the gun a little bit regarding the NTS.

When I first saw the thread, I got too excited and just responded without reading it through.

Pete Brown

Edited by petebuilt

I think we have come to a resolution. I will attempt to get a "basic" AH-1W canopy made with Falcon. Intruder bass is almost done with a NTS canopy for the CC conversion set. So you will get the best of both worlds, plain and NTS. If you want to modify the basic you can do that easily or you can just use the NTS one. The call is up to you. We will both let you know when they are available on this board.

Hope that keeps everyone happy. LOL Now I'll need all the help I can get for a Marine Cobra.

Floyd

Oh yeah!!!

I'll be gettin' a couple of each for sure (in case I mess up the first ones).

I've been looking at my yet unfinished CC converted AH-1W NTS, wishing I could do something about that funky looking canopy.

My wishing days are finally over.

Thank you Floyd and Andy!

Pete brown

I'll try to help visualize what Andy and Dave pointed out. I took a picture of a non-NTS and a picture of an NTS and cropped them and resized them so they are as close as i can get them. I then placed one over the other. Although this is a little crude you can see what we are talking about on the angle. However, I think you can get close enough to the NTS look by trimming the canopy. However, modelrs would have to readd the lower side canopy frame after the trimming.

I don't have the new Academy kit so I don't know if they redid the angle or just raised the nose and shortened the canopy. I like the idea of having two different (NTS and non-NTS) but do we actaully need three or could one NTS canopy be made that would match Cobra Company's nose and the new kit? From what I've heard of the new kit you still want the other bits from CC. I've replicated WSPS rails/guides with strip styrene. Perhaps include a template so people can match the angle and cut their own to glue one the canopy frame. I've got half a dozen of WW's G canopies but I haven't tried gluing ribbing to them. I'm assuming you can do that. Regardless, I'm in for multiples of whatever.

AH-1CanopyComparison.jpg

The point I was trying to make is that by just trimming the canopy and not matching the curve of the rails you end up with a nose that is not tall enough. However, to most it probably looks close enough. How does the new Academy kit address this?

Edited by SuperCobra