F-15E to F-15DJ conversion

Hi guys...

I need a piece of advice. I would like to convert the Revell F-15E to the F-15DJ. What are the main differences between the two?

I know it is easier just to take the hasegawa or academy F-15E, but I am in the middle of two hasegawa f-15 builds, and I think that those kits have quite poor fit and lack of details, unlike the Revell F-15E, so i would like to try with the revell kit.

So, what are the differences between the F-15DJ and F-15E? I know that cockpit is different, the ballances on the tails, and probably few antennas here and there...

Could it be made from Revell kit?

Thanks for any advice....

Cheers, Kristijan

Not sure but maybe the Strike Eagle u/c legs are of a slightly bigger diameter than D/DJ. Tyres of the E version are larger than D/DJ ones...

Your idea is very good in my opinion. I'd like to do one day the same thing with the 1/32 Tamiya F-15E, retrofitting it to a D machine (with CFTs, just as USAFE Reykjavik 'IS' birds...):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/M...s-F-15D/1327138

cheers,

Luca

You are probably better starting off with a different kit then the Revell F-15E. I would say the Academy F-15E kit is the best starting point if you don't desire using a Hasegawa kit again as the mold is essentially a D model with some E stuff thrown in (i.e. not quite an E anyway).

As for the main differences, the aft fuselage on the E has some shape and detail differences from the D model brought about by the common engine bay that MDD was working on. Word is some of the late build F-15D airframes built for Israel were essentially E airframes with D cockpits, but JASDF planes to my knowledge were all built long before that. I believe the horizontal stabs have some reinforcement as well. The forward main gear doors are bulged to accomodate the main gear tires. Wings and forward fuselage are pretty close near as I can tell (although you will probably have to fill the eight chaff/flare dispensers just below the intakes unless the JASDF has retrofitted them to their birds).

All things considered, even though it may sound like a good idea to convert it is probably best to start with something else as by the time you've collected all the bits to convert the Revell kit, you've spent a fair amount already and are close to Hasegawa price (such as a resin D model cockpit if you can't source a set of panels from somebody). Plus, the time you save on the better fit of the RM kit is going to be lost in reshaping, grinding and rescribing stuff if you really want to get anal over it. But it depends on which chore you like the least.

If you do try it, good luck.

Edited by Jay Chladek

There is a long list of things that are different between the Strike Eagle and the "fighter" eagles. The U/C being bigger and stronger (and as a result the landing gear doors being bulged) are just the beginning. There are panels that are different, vents that are different, and a whole bunch of other things. I understand that you might not like the Hasegawa Eagles, but I think they are still your best bet.

Aaron

ps. There was a thread on here about changing the E to a C, and the same things would apply for a D. I'll look to see if I can find it and if I can, I'll post it here.

EDIT: Check out Harv's post (the second one down) on this thread. It tells you the main differences between Strikes and Fighters.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....=122407&hl=

Edited by strikeeagle801
ps. There was a thread on here about changing the E to a C, and the same things would apply for a D. I'll look to see if I can find it and if I can, I'll post it here.

I've found these further threads, hope they could be helpful:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....showtopic=92484

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=117396

regards,

Luca

Hi guys.

Thank you all for your answers...

Very helpful links, thanks. I've tried to search the forum, but I yet have to get used to new search engine. :)

I think I'll follow the Harv's list of differences and try to change things I can, and forget about the others. :)

If Pete can modify the E into the C, I can modify it into the DJ. I'll do my best though, and I'll see the final result.

Thanks again,

Kristijan

Hi guys.

Thank you all for your answers...

Very helpful links, thanks. I've tried to search the forum, but I yet have to get used to new search engine. :thumbsup:

I think I'll follow the Harv's list of differences and try to change things I can, and forget about the others. :D

If Pete can modify the E into the C, I can modify it into the DJ. I'll do my best though, and I'll see the final result.

Thanks again,

Kristijan

Sorry to say this but the list was mine, Harv kindly posted it on the previous thread.

If you have any F-15 questions there are a few Pilots and Maintenance people besides me that post here once an awhile that would be happy to help.

Cheers

Sorry to say this but the list was mine, Harv kindly posted it on the previous thread.

If you have any F-15 questions there are a few Pilots and Maintenance people besides me that post here once an awhile that would be happy to help.

Cheers

My bad. :D

PM sent.

Sure will send you PM when will be in a doubt. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Kristijan