TAURUS and Storm Shadow

I've just about finished construction of the missiles included in Revell's 1/72 Typhoon F.2, and that usually means it's time to paint them. I have one problem with that, though - it seems as if there are as many different colors of these things as there are photos...

As it its, I've got two full sets of missiles. I'm considering using one of the German sets (TAURUS/IRIS-T on either a Tornado IDS or a Gripen which I've got in progress, and splitting a British set between a Hornet (Australia) and a Rafale or Mirage (France). I gather that most of thsese have their own paint schemes depending on operator, so if anyone could help me out with that, I'd be most grateful....

Also, what happened to Typhoon Mk3? What type designator did it get?

SP

No, Australia doesn't use the Storm Shadow, but they do use the ASRAAM, which is the "other half" of the british weapons sprue in the Typhoon kit. The Storm Shadows would go on the Rafale or Mirage, impersonating APACHE/SCALP missiles - which have the same airframe.

About the Storm Shadow colors, here's the reason I'm confused: Look at the four images on this page, and tell me any two of them are colored the same... :-)

http://www.defense-update.com/products/s/storm-shadow.htm

Of course, I'm pretty sure none of these missiles are live, so that doesn't say much anyway.

A fifth pic, different from all of the above, and also definitely not a live missile (nice color though...)

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108947

Here's a live missile, arlright - but what color is it?

http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/photo_gallery_ops_air.htm

Another one, not sure if this too is live. Seems to be a bit bluer than the other:

http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/photo_gallery_ops_air.htm

See my confusion? :-)

Great, just the info I need. Same as the underside of the Tornado, then?

One of these days, I'll *have* to use up my spare Tornado GR.1 sheet to make a twin-seat Typhoon in ground attack camo (Dark Sea Gray over Dark Camouflage Gray). :-)

SP

I think you're correct about the Tornado, but I'm not doing one, so I am not sure. I'm building a Revell 1/72 Storm Shadow in the flying configuration. Here's a picture of the modified wings and hardback, with the kit part on the left, and an aborted attempt at building the hardback in the middle. Still have to add suspension lugs, or blocks actually. The parts are painted Humbrol 156.

storm-10.jpg

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

Nice! I remember seeing another Storm Shadow in-flight build on a web site somewhere - could that have been yours? I've lost the link...

Humbrol 156 matches the underside of the GR.1 and GR.4 Tornados, while Humbrol 160-odd matches the top (whichever one was the darkest - 165? Don't have the tins within reach right now.) I find it a pretty good bet that the Storm Shadow missiles were ordered in that color to match the belly of the most likely launch aircraft. Time will tell if they're going to make lighter-colored Storm Shadows to match the Typhoons...

SP

I'm working on a web page for this model, but it's not publicly on-line yet. If you manage to find the webpage you saw before, please let me know, I'm very curious what others are doing with their Storm Shadows!

This magnificent Tornado GR.Mk.4 by Piero De Santis article says "RAF Tornado GR.4 carry the "double-grey" standard camouflage: Dark Camouflage Grey (Humbrol 156) overall with Dark Sea Grey (Humbrol 164) for upper surfaces."

Rob

Whoever made that web page apparently has a robots.txt file, because I can't find anything on google right now. The builder had a rather cool method of doing his research - it involved using some kind of analysis software on photos of the real thing to make a 3D model, to check the kit missile for accuracy. Personally I thought that was going too far, but still, it was a cool way of doing things.

(edit: Just visited your site, and I think it may have been your build I'm thinking of :-) Did you have your build article online previously?)

That 1/48 Tornado looked awesome - I thought it was 1/32 at first. Not going to get anywhere near that detailed on my builds, ever. Not that patient! :-)

Cheers,

SP

Edited by SebastianP

Storm Shadow isn't loaded on Typhoon yet, but it will be the same colour as in Spike's photos above.

As for the Typhoon Mk.3 designation, it went to the T.3 - the Block 5+ twin-seat Typhoons. Full list of RAF designations is T.1, T.1A (with modifications to the fuel system), F.2, T.3, FGR.4.