More Notes On "Miss Virginia"

I thought I'd add a few more notes for anyone wanting to model P-38G "Miss Virginia". Since she was a P-38G-13, her cockpit and instrument panel would look like this:

061019-F-1234P-003.jpg

061019-F-1234P-004.jpg

061019-F-1234P-002.jpg

(Top three photos via The Airforce Museum)

with the exception of having the SCR-274N radio controls on the right side of the cockpit like this

scan0009.jpg

scan0017.jpg

DSC00685.jpg

instead of the SCR-522 setup, which looked like this.

scan0019.jpg

On the instrument panel, note that this panel has the engine gages on the left hand side, just the reverse of standard configuration for all other P-38s. This panel style was used on the F-13, F-15, G-13, and G-15. The following picture is of the panel used on the F-5, G-1 and G-3, just for example of the other style.

scan0018.jpg

The colors relevant to the markings are:

Aircraft number (147) in white

Lockheed number on both sides of nose (3373) is Neutral Gray

AAF serial on outsides of vertical fins is yellow

"Miss Virginia" on both sides of nose is yellow

Kill markings left side of nose--ship kill black silouette on white flag, Japanese flags red on white.

Gear struts, wheel wells and inside of well doors silver lacquer.

Hope this helps anyone planning to model this historically significant aircraft.

John

Edited by John Clements

John,

Thanks for posting the info. What gunsight is installed? Appears to be an N-3B and mounted in front of the bullet resistant glass panel. Very nice images of the mounting of the bullet resistant glass panel and padding at the top.

Don

John,

Thanks for posting the info. What gunsight is installed? Appears to be an N-3B and mounted in front of the bullet resistant glass panel. Very nice images of the mounting of the bullet resistant glass panel and padding at the top.

Don

Hey Don,

The parts book calls out N-3 or N-3A. This is one of those areas that gets a little confusing on what equipment went with what serial number group. This first page appeared on my earlier post regarding the bead sight mast, and it shows the "early" style bracketry for the reflector glass.

scan0003.jpg

The next page is the "later" style, which is what appears in the picture of the G-13 panel above

scan0020.jpg

and a little better drawing of the whole thing.

scan0021.jpg

One of these days I'll get the drawings for this and see just what went exactly with what. It appears that "Miss Virginia" would have had the later style set-up, according the application info. I'm still trying to figure it out completely though.

John

Fantastic detail! Though alot of this detail will be easier for you in 32 scale than in 48 scale, but I will try to incorporate enough to make it look accurate. I just started working on the cockpit last night, using PE for the throttle quadrant, so the radio controls on the other side will be next and probably scratch built. I'm not sure what to do about the IP gauges being on the opposite sides, except maybe cutting up the acetate backing for the PE IP and rearranging it. I also want to try to remove the molded on canvas hood so that the cockpit and IP can be seen better. Thanks!