Revell 1/48 F-15I Ra'am progress

Have just found out my wife has shouted me a trip to Melbourne for my 40th. Funny thing is, it coincides with the Model Expo at the end of June - this was not planned, just sheer fluke.

Anyway, decided to represent, so have pulled my Revell F-15I conversion out and she now sits preshaded and with all the natural metal areas painted, ready to be masked for the camouflage.

Dropped in to the LHS today for some more underside grey and found some Gunze Mr. Metal Color. If you haven't used this before, it is amazing stuff and produces some of the nicest natural metal finish I have ever seen. You spray it on and then rub it with a shirt to polish it, like some other metalisers, but this one looks spectacularly metallic and takes handling and masking without smudging!

In the process of painting all the stores now, the two LANTIRN pods, a pair of Rafael Popeyes, a pair of AIM-120Cs, a centreline fuel tank and a guidance pod for the Popeyes.

Going to build this aircraft as 234 with the large eagle on the fin. It's been a lot of fun so far.

Here are some very early pics taken about 6 months ago:

Black Box cockpit installed and painted.

cockpit.jpg

Beginning of the pre-shading - ended up taking about 2 hours to do the whole aircraft. Note the modified front end of the pylons under the CFTs to carry the AMRAAMs and the modified kit LANTIRN mounts to fit the pods from the Hasegawa weapons set

preshade.jpg

SOL AMRAAMs converted to AIM-120C by cutting down the fins and the converted launch rails and adaptors. The resin ones are from the SOL kit and the plastic ones are from a Hasegawa Skyhawk with a few extra details added.

stores1.jpg

Lastly, the modified fin tips, tail boom tips, repositioned ailerons and tailplanes, GPS antenna and the repair where I snapped the rear of the kit. All of the F-15I modifications were done by scratch.

tails.jpg

Here are some more shots of progress.

Camo painting finished - used Gunze acrylics with blu-tack masking to get a hard feathered edge. Just a few touch ups and it's on to the gloss and then the decal stage.

camo.jpg

Aires engines with base colours ready for weathering (actually from a pair of F-16 exhaust sets)

exhausts.jpg

Painted stores and pylons, ready for decalling and weathering

stores2.jpg

Black Box seats showing repairs (white styrene parts) due to shipping and handling breakage, and new rails. Mounted ready for paint

seats.jpg

Great looking build.I am really impressed with your fixes on BB seats,my pet hate is shipping damage on resin parts.

Have fun in Melbourne mate,although Sydney is better,he,he... :thumbsup:

Cheers,Miro.

this looks great! I really like the way you made the CFT pylons in the air-air configuration. I don't think I've ever seen that done before on a model.

Jake

More pics of the camo. Nose shot.

camo1.jpg

Rear shot. Note tha panels either side of the engine openings painted camo colours. Something I would have missed without the Isra book.

camo2.jpg

Tail showing larger brown camo area for the eagle's head and the scratchbuilt fin tip balance including the two strengthening strips either side of the balance. Another detail shown clearly in the Isra book. The green lump is a clear nav light masked with Mr Masking Sol. This will be painted clear red when done.

tail.jpg

The subject aircraft - 234 just disappearing out of the photo.

Two_F-15I_Ra

What an awesome paint job. Super detail on the little painted areas in the exhaust. Can't wait to see it decaled up.

Cheers,

Dave

Sure

H308 - Gray FS36375

H313 - Yellow FS33531

H310 - Brown FS30219

H74 - Sky (Duck Egg Green) ~FS34424

Craig, were all these colours straight out of the bottle, or did you have to tweak any of them a bit?

Thanks also for posting them! :lol:

Cheers,

Jeff.