How is the Italeri 1/72 Apache kit?

What is the Italeri Apache kit like, good, bad? They have an A model and a D model which I assume are the same kit, just updated for the D.

Is there a better kit in 1/72?

Thanks

the D model is based on the A, but with some of the updates. Not all however, the side sponsons (yes I know they have a technical name, but I'm getting old!!) may be slightly off and the rear is the wrong shape (Pointy when it should be square). But it is the closest to a D in 1/72.

For the A, many have said the Academy one is better, but I haven't seen it.

Aaron,

As a Huey guy I don't really have a horse in this race, but I do happen to have the Italeri Alpha, and Delta as well as the Has Alpha in 1/72. here are the sprue shots and you can see the differences. i hope that helps.

Ray

Italeri AH-64D

PICT8173.jpg

PICT8175.jpg

PICT8176.jpg

Italeri AH-64A

PICT8182.jpg

PICT8183.jpg

PICT8184.jpg

You can see that thy are basically the same kit except that the D has a totally new fuselage and all the parts for the upgrade as well as all the old Alpha parts. You might be interested in the fact that the D boxing has the wirestrike kit whereas the Alpha does not.

finally, here's the Hasagawa AH-64A. I think the Italeri looks better at least in the box.

PICT8177.jpg

PICT8178.jpg

PICT8179.jpg

PICT8180.jpg

Sorry, but i don't have the Academy kit. The decals in this kit look kinda old cause they are. hopefully you can see enough from these shots to make up your own mind. if you need more detail let me know.

Ray

the D model is based on the A, but with some of the updates. Not all however, the side sponsons (yes I know they have a technical name, but I'm getting old!!) may be slightly off and the rear is the wrong shape (Pointy when it should be square). But it is the closest to a D in 1/72.

In addition, the cockpit is still that of an A. For the 'D, add some big MFD's.

HTH,

Andre

The aft ends of the EFABS (Extended Forward Avionics Bays) are the wrong shape for a production machine. Italeri got it right on their 48th scale kit though. As has been pointed out, it still has an A cockpit with steam gages and chicklet lights. Longbows are all MPDs now (Multi Purpose Displays, for some reason we decided to say Purpose instead of Function like the rest of the universe) which are much easier to use and interpret.

Well here's my $00.02;

IMHO the 2 best (OK probably not the correct term) out there are -A Hasegawa and -D Hobby Boss.

Why you ask would he say that?

Hasegawa has re-tooled the original kit, the engine exhausts are much, much better and the tail rotor is now 2 pieces so it looks more prototypical the the others with one piece molds!

Hobby Boss is basically the Italeri fuse with the same errors but engraved panel lines, it and the Italeri kit could be built OOB as the pre-production a/c. HB also went the 2 piece tail rotor route so it looks better.

I have all the major 72nd kits and this is the way I would go, they are all reasonably inexpensive so adding etch and/or resin doesn't run the budget thru the roof!

Go to the Helo Group Build site and look thru the builds there, the Apache is being done by about 3 modellers.

I don't know if e-mailing Hasegawa about doing the -D would help but they re-tooled the -A with a new fuse and other bits so.......

HTH