Hasegawa 1/48 A-7E (VA-25)

Well boys and girls time for another build... this time the 1/48 Hasegawa A-7E. I'll be doing the VA-25 bird from the early 70's...

Here's the bird in question:

A7_005_A2.jpg

[image from www.carrierbuilders.net]

And the kit and decals...

IMG_2460Large.jpg

Started with the pilot:

IMG_2518Large.jpg

IMG_2520Large.jpg

IMG_2512Large.jpg

Still wish I could find some decent tiny decals to put on the helmet itself... to spruce it up a bit...

Did some work on the cockpit... it needed some TLC:

IMG_2506Large.jpg

IMG_2507Large.jpg

IMG_2508Large.jpg

IMG_2522Large.jpg

IMG_2526Large.jpg

Edited by lgl007

Started work on the air intake... first the imperfections had to be addressed:

IMG_2500Large.jpg

Next a quick dry fit to see what it all looks like... will require more work later on as the pieces don't align pefectly...

IMG_2504Large.jpg

Put the two halves together and applied the Tamiya filler to get rid of those nasty seams on either side...

IMG_2510Large.jpg

IMG_2511Large.jpg

To make quick work of sanding it all down I took Q-Tips and glued on 400 grit sandpaper and used my Dremel...

Also removed the back wall which will be added later after the seam has been dealt with...

IMG_2515Large.jpg

Here they are sanded...

IMG_2516Large.jpg

IMG_2517Large.jpg

I'll airbrush inside the air intake black from the rear end and white from the front end... that way I get a nice transition from white to dark into the back...

That's it so far... let me know what you think. As always advice and comments very appreciated.

-Greg

Very nice work so far, especially on that pilot! :cheers:

Will it be an in-flight display or will he just sit in the plane still on the ground?

Edited by ChernayaAkula

You are clearly quite talented at doing figures in excellent detail, and at 1/48 scale, that is no easy accomplishment. Very nice progress on the pit and on the intakes so far. Neat idea with the dremel! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Great looking build so far!!

A neat trick with the Dremel too!! Gotta try that :thumbsup:

About decals for the helmet, well have you tried to paint empty decal film and cuta out stripes from that?

Cheers!

Thanks everyone...

Mortiz: no it'll be a grounded A-7E... haven't gotten the urge to do a nice base... I have a Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M in the stash that I'll be doing in air... it's a nice small jet in 1/48 so it should look pretty good ;-) Next project perhaps ... hehe

Aigore: no I haven't tried that... I was just hoping that perhaps somebody would have some nice small red or yellow lightinging bolts perhaps from some ACM pod decals, or missile decals... or even from a 1/144 decal sheet... anything that I could use... still keeping an eye out...

I'd really appreciate it if you guys checked your old decal stashes for such 'mini' decals ;-)

Thanks again everyone.

-Greg

An idea; First don't airbrush the intake trunk. White Glue on a plastic card backing where the fan goes. Let it dry overnight then pour, yes pour some semi gloss household white latex into the trunk filling it alost to the brim. Roll the paint to the lips getting good coverage then pour the apint back into your orginal paint can. Pull the card off the back and allow for the wet paint to drip out that on the sdies of the trunk. Let it dry and in the end you should have a shinny smoth gloos white finish just like the real thing.

Jim

PS I love the q-tip trick, I gotta remember that one. :salute:

Jim, yes that could do it as well... and I might end up doing just that in the end... if my method does not work out...

BTW I assume that a heavy coat of white latex paint would actually get rid of any inside imperfections as it is quite thick... correct?

Simon, yes indeed... thanks so much for the decals :-) U DA MAN!

-Greg

Edited by lgl007

Ok did some more work on her...

Test fitting of the cockpit left a bit of a large gap between the top of the cockpit tub and the top of the fuselage so I added plastic card...

IMG_2527Medium-1.jpg

Here's the cockpit so far...

IMG_2528Medium-1.jpg

IMG_2532Medium-1.jpg

Painted the interior of the exhaust...

IMG_2531Medium-1.jpg

Did some work on the inside side walls...

IMG_2530Medium-1.jpg

And then this ...

IMG_2535Medium.jpg

... both the clear canopy pieces are about 6mm too wide... they either got squished in transit or something terrible happened in the moulding process.

At any rate... I posted on the HINTS and TIPS section and seems that one idea is to submerge the pieces in almost boiling water for a few seconds and then re-shape them... so I'll give that a go... /crosses fingers

I wonder... is this an issue in ALL the A-7E boxings? Or am I just unlucky?

Best,

-Greg

Edited by lgl007

Wow, love the work on the pilot!! Are those sholder patches painted on or are they decals??

As a fan of the VA-25 schemes I can wait to see more of this bird!

D

Damian... The shoulder patches as painted on ;-) I wish I could find accurate shoulder patch decals... shoot every decal manufacturer should add some to their sheets ;-) I tried to replicate a couple I found on the net as best I could. The photos above are super exagerate in terms of size so you can really see the imperfections. In real life they actually look pretty good... I was quite surprise how they came out... It's quite easy when you use very quick drying acrylic paint... you can touch things up as soon as you make a mistake...

I really do hope to do the VA-25 justice... It's a brilliant scheme for sure =)

-Greg

BTW I assume that a heavy coat of white latex paint would actually get rid of any inside imperfections as it is quite thick... correct?

BINGO You got it , thats the beauty of this method.

Jim

Damian... The shoulder patches as painted on ;-) <...>

No! Frickin'! Way! :thumbsup: Amazing! :woo:

<...> every decal manufacturer should add some to their sheets ;-) <...>

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

And kit manufacturers could also include ejection seat stencils.

Here's a little motivation for your build.

scan0066.jpg

scan0067.jpg

scan0065.jpg

I caught the entire squadron passing through Sheppard AFB one weekend. The strange thing was that they were in the middle of a paint job at the time. It was the only time I saw this happen.