External difference F-15 "D" and "E"

Hi Guy's,

Are there Big external differences between an F-15 D an F-15E other then the CFT's?

I have an Revell F-15E 1/48 and want to make an Aggressor F-15D. I have an old hasegawa F-15C for spare parts if needed.

And also the backseat cockpit is different i think??

I'am going for the look of an F-15D not for the full 100% accuracy

T.i.a

Jan P

Edited by JP34

Ds should be able to if they are CFTs configured for C models. I don't think an Aggressor would have CFTs installed though since they are just flying over a combat exercise area rather then heading to a target far out. Eagles even before the CFTs could carry a lot of fuel as I recall.

A guy on HS said that you really can't get from an E to a B/D since the external differences are so great. I think if you're 100% anal-retentive that might be true, but regardless, there *are* a lot of detail differences.

J

Ds should be able to if they are CFTs configured for C models. I don't think an Aggressor would have CFTs installed though since they are just flying over a combat exercise area rather then heading to a target far out. Eagles even before the CFTs could carry a lot of fuel as I recall.

Depends on the model really. C's and D's are wired and fitted for CFT's, but the only units that were ever known to regularly haul the saddle bags were Iceland based Eagles doing extended range intercepts of Bears in the GIUK gap. With CFT's and 3 bags, C's were able to fly just about 3,500 miles (3,450 miles).

The Israeli's have wired some A's and B's to haul CFT's too.

The A has an internal fuel capacity of 11,600 lbs, with external of 11,895 lbs.

The C took advantage of the "growth space" build into the A's and had an internal capacity of 13,445 lbs and 9,750 lbs external. The heavier structure for the extra fuel, increased G rating (7.33 in the A to 9 in the C) raised the empty weight of the C by about 1300-1500 or so pounds over the A.

That translates to roughly a typical range of about 2,120 miles with 3 bags, give or take a few hundred miles based on variables not able to be calculated here.

The only "E" that can be built out of a "D" is the "E" intial concept demonstrator, which was infact a D. The Israeli's have some D's which are infact E's, but the cockpits are built as D's, since they placed that order after the F-15 production line changed to E's in 1986.

Hope this helps at all!

Yes, both C's and D's could, theoretically, carry the CFT's/FAST Packs.

However.

Adding/removing the CFT's is NOT a quick, easy job. So in practice, once they're on, they're staying on. Hence you'd see some of the Arctic squadrons, doing long open water patrols that had them installed, and basically nobody else - a Kansas City ANG squadron isn't going to strap them on to ferry over to California (or Germany, or Kuwait, or whatever) for the weekend.

The IDF/AF probably has a few aircraft with the tanks loaded in case of any potential emergency long-range strikes, but again, they wouldn't be loaded/unloaded frequently. Rather, there are probably a small number of specific aircraft which always have the tanks on, which would be used if the need arose.

Coincidentally, I just happen to have the WAPJ issue with the F-15 Variant Analysis in front of me. Pics of 71-291 in the lizard scheme definately look like it's the Escapac seats (they're CERTAINLY not ACES II's), though I can't make out the air brake.

I remember 71-0291 had ACESII seats as of 1983 and also had the longer board. The cockpit had red rtv around allot of the add-on avionics and instrumentation in the back seat,especially around the MPCD's. The wheels at that time were C/D model wheels. If I remember anything else from when I worked on it I will pass it on. Sorry its been 25 years. :)

Dave

D'oh, just occurred to me... A'net!

Front 3/4. C/D wheels and it LOOKS like Escapacs to me(?):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/McDonnell-D...-15B/1151756/L/

Side. Again, late-wheels, and Escapac seats?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/McDonnell-D...-15B/0963961/L/

And this looks like the early speedbrake, doesn't it? The break along the spine seems pretty far forward:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/McDonnell-D...-15B/0889876/L/

Photos all ca. 1980. The seats and brake were changed by 1983. SO would it be a reasonable hypothesis that the updates happend in '82, when the ETC competition started? So from '80 - '82 while it was a McDD private venture, it had the old seat and 'brake?

Another question... The WAPJ article mentions that it initially wore the Compass Ghost scheme. Yet the one photo of such looks for all the world to me to be missing the turkey feathers. While the lizard scheme pics all have the feathers on. ???

So what exactly IS the timeline for its appearance?

July '80, it rolls out. Ghost Grey scheme, sans feathers, with the Escapac seats, short brake, C/D wheels.

(by) September '80, it's been re-painted in the lizard scheme, had the feathers restored, but still the Escapac, short brake and C/D wheels.

(some time in '82 it's updated??? so that by) '83, a young Crew Dog wrenches on it, in the lizard scheme, feathers???, seat has been updated to ACES, airbrake has been lengthened to the standard style, with the C/D wheels.

Does that sound reasonable?

What a pain in the ***!

Pandabear, No offense taken, I am use to it.

I worked on 71-0291 when it was doing a fly-off with the "Sky Fox" , a modified T-33 with hi-bypass engine alla A-10.

I know it had ACESII seats because I had to safe it and it did not have the headknocker, had the typical 2 seat pins and canopy emergency jettison handle pin, this was late 83. It was brought up to C/D model status for the CFT install and the wheels.

Just to let you know Langley flew a long while with CFT's , Along with dropping bombs. Langley flew with SUU racks with practice BDU's and also TER racks.

We even flew with Three Bags, CFT's and full load out of bombs on a C/D model, testing the use of CFT's and the F-15 C/D in a multirole function.

The thing I remember the most about 71-0291 was the roughness of the paint and the bright red RTV (sealant) in the light gray cockpit besides it breaking all the time, what a hog.

Cheers

Dave

Pandabear, No offense taken, I am use to it.

I worked on 71-0291 when it was doing a fly-off with the "Sky Fox" , a modified T-33 with hi-bypass engine alla A-10.

I know it had ACESII seats because I had to safe it and it did not have the headknocker, had the typical 2 seat pins and canopy emergency jettison handle pin, this was late 83. It was brought up to C/D model status for the CFT install and the wheels.

Just to let you know Langley flew a long while with CFT's , Along with dropping bombs. Langley flew with SUU racks with practice BDU's and also TER racks.

We even flew with Three Bags, CFT's and full load out of bombs on a C/D model, testing the use of CFT's and the F-15 C/D in a multirole function.

The thing I remember the most about 71-0291 was the roughness of the paint and the bright red RTV (sealant) in the light gray cockpit besides it breaking all the time, what a hog.

Cheers

Dave

Hi, I want to apologise with everybody,particularly JP34.

The F-15 71-291/DRF matter has totally derived from the original D-E differences topic.

I'm sorry,please excuse me

No Problem! Now we know a little bit more of the history of the F-15E :unsure:

Greetz Jan P

E-D can be done, but why? Hasegawa's is not bad although it has its faults, what kit dose'nt? Check out my list on the differances, if you want to do it go for it.

Academy's kit is not the greatest either for accuracy but it is cheaper then the Hase kit.

Cheers

Dave

CFT's at Langley, Kadena and Elmendorf.

Played with CFT's at Langley, left there thought no more CFT's.

Arrive at Kadena, oh great your CFTqualified were going to start loading them, left there 4 years later.

Arrived Elmendorf, oh great yout CFT qualified were going to start using them. ;) And on the 90th side of things thats another story, sheeesh......

The Albino did not like CFT's I tell ya................

Go to The Heath, We got Mudhens, I'll go to Crash Recovery thank you.

Cheers