Model Master Russian Cockpit Blue-Green

So to my eyes, this paint looks spot-on in the bottle, but dries way, WAY too dark.

So what do you all suggest for a fix? Just to add some MM white? Or maybe something else would be in order?

Thanks.

Floquil has the color Jade in its railroad line that is supposed to be spot on out of the bottle.

Regards,

joe.

If it dries darker, then it may be closer than I originally thought to the actual color. I never really thought it looked correct. My Russian cockpit green of choice was always Floquil Rail Road NYC Central Jade. Looks dead-on to me.

Paul

Floquil has the color Jade in its railroad line that is supposed to be spot on out of the bottle.

Regards,

joe.

As to the floquil - it's not even close - it's a very bright green.. The Model master is the closest out of the bottle, but it's still not quite right (as others are saying)

As to the floquil - it's not even close - it's a very bright green.. The Model master is the closest out of the bottle, but it's still not quite right (as others are saying)

I wouldn't go that far, myself and others have been recommending that color for years, it is one of the few concensus choices for "close enough" out there. The MM color is far to pale/white to be correct. The actual color is a VERY vivid green, and does vary significantly from aircraft to aircraft and type to type. So where one might look more like MM, another will look just like the Floquil Jade.

In the end, each should go with what looks right to their own eyes.

Paul

Say what you want, but I think the photographic evidence in most cases shows that the MM Russian Cockpit Green is way too pale. Naturally there are variations on the colour, but generally speaking I find it to be a bit too lame. In fact, I'm a bit surprised the colour seems the be quite popular despite of it's inaccuracy.

I wouldn't go that far, myself and others have been recommending that color for years, it is one of the few concensus choices for "close enough" out there. The MM color is far to pale/white to be correct. The actual color is a VERY vivid green, and does vary significantly from aircraft to aircraft and type to type. So where one might look more like MM, another will look just like the Floquil Jade.

In the end, each should go with what looks right to their own eyes.

Paul

Hey Paul,

while I wouldn't suggest my experience is such that I should recommend anything - I am making a 1/32 Mig -21 and have been working on and off for the past couple of years. I have studied several pubs on it in great detail. If you look at the photos in the VERY good Verlinden book on the Mig-21 you will see some very good shots of the pit. The color in these photos suggests the Floquil Jade green is so far off - it's not EVEN close. I know this because I used jade green based on someone saying that was the best color - maybe even you? I dont' remember - but I painted my pit this color, and it just didn't look right. SO I asked the wife to pick - she picked the mm color as well.

I have heard people say that the Green used in the Helicopers is more close to the Floquil Jade "shade" but I can't say as I haven't dug into soviet helos much.

But I am 100 % certain, that anyone who isn't color blind will look at the photos in the verlinden book, and at cards coated in Jade green and modelmaster pit color and pick the model master as being much closer - however, it's not quite right either, and I haven't figured out what needs to be done there..

But that's my source -if that's off or wrong, or not representative of soviet pits in general - my bad

Regards,

Frank

I'll have to check that one, as it's been a while since I've dug into it. I have good cockpit photos in the 4+, Wings and Wheels, etc. So I'll check them all, and see what kind of variance there is. Once thing to note, as I recall about the Lock On book, it's solely based around Romanian aircraft, and likely later day at that, so there may be an aspect of one country's maintenance showing through in the photos in that book. So if you're basing your supposition on building a Romanian aircraft, then I think you're all set.

Years ago, I recieved what can best be described as a vial of paint from Russia, and Russia not far removed from the Soviet Union (I'd guess this was around 1990 or so) - it was "Russian Cockpit Blue/Green" the color was so vibrant, it almost hurt to look at. It was a dead-on match for what I've seen in various books since, and is actually VERY close to the NYC Jade that I continue to recommend. So that's why I've always stuck by that color, and until a nice acryllic match comes available, that's where my recommendation will stay.

Although your comment about the lock-on book has me quite intrigued. Now I just need to remember to check when I get home!

Best Regards,

Paul

Here's an earlier thread on the MiG-21bis colour: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/lofive...hp?t129652.html

Some people there - even a guy who has worked on the bird - are saying the MM colour is a "perfect" match. I still have to disagree. If one looks at the photos of real cockpits posted on that thread (there are some links plus a photo by me) and then the photos of a model with a pit painted with MM Russian Blue-green, you should notice the difference: once again the MM colour seems just a tad too pale, not much, but still. Again, this is just my personal view.

Admittedly this is from looking at photos, but I've seen so many different shades of Russian cockpit green that I don't think I'd get too terribly upset if the out-of-the-bottle shade doesn't look perfect.

Fully agreed with David, that shade of blue-green features several variations on those old Russian birds, I would go with MM shade as usual and play with some white, blue or green if needed... Check www.airliners.net for real cockpit shots as reference and u will note how it differs from aircraft to aircraft.

Cheers.

So to my eyes, this paint looks spot-on in the bottle, but dries way, WAY too dark.

So what do you all suggest for a fix? Just to add some MM white? Or maybe something else would be in order?

Thanks.

There isn't one single color. I've seen everything from pale sky blue to shocking, fluorescent blue-green.

J

That's what I love about Russian interior green: everyone's opinion is correct, because it all depends on the airframe. I've seen MiGs whose cockpits were a close match for the MM color. I've also seen MiGs whose cockpits were a close match to Floquil color. No matter what shade of Pepto Bismol turquoise you use, somewhere in the world there is probably a MiG cockpit that matches.

Edited by david sMiGielski

I bought some of the Floquil jade today. Looks like good stuff. Does anyone know what that color is originally for?

Anyhow, I plan to use it from now on - not only because it looks better to my eye but because the MM green was my only enamel, and I'd like to go all-acrylic.

Now, to find some cockpit references for my An-72...

I bought some of the Floquil jade today. Looks like good stuff. Does anyone know what that color is originally for?

I believe it's a model railroading color, probably for container cars.

edit: I guess the Floquil color is actually NYC Jade Green, for the New York Central train line. I couldn't find any photos but they must have used the color.

edit again: I found this on a railroading site. It's a model of a 56 ft. hopper car used by the NYC line in jade green:

L17520.jpg

Edited by David Walker

Anyhow, I plan to use it from now on - not only because it looks better to my eye but because the MM green was my only enamel, and I'd like to go all-acrylic.

Now, to find some cockpit references for my An-72...

The An-74 cockpit is not jade, but light blue - (at least it was in the Gazpromavia one that I photographed at Ostafievo....)

An-74_cockpit_02.jpg

An-74_cockpit_03.jpg

An-74_cockpit_04.jpg

An-74_cockpit_05.jpg

An-74_cockpit_06.jpg

Ken