1/35 USCG MH-60J Jayhawk Conversion

I have started a project that I have wanted to do for quite some time. I love the look of the USCG MH-60J with its bright colors. I have built up the courage and started cutting plastic.

There isn't any kit of the HH/MH-60J Jayhawk in any scale. There are a couple great conversion sets by Fireball Modelworks in 1/72 and Cobra Company in 1/48, but I wanted a big one w/lots of detail. I have wanted to do one for a while, but I prefer to build large helos. After watching The Guardian on TV recently, it peaked my interest in doing a Jayhawk.

I started gathering reference materials and figuring out how to do it using a 1/35 Academy MH-60G kit. I will be using the Cobra Company open UH-60 exhausts, along with a couple of the interior bulkheads that I mastered for Cobra. I will also use parts of their MH-60L correction set (widened step sponsons, rear wall, one piece intakes) and parts from the MH-60L SOAR set (which I think is now the MH-60G set). Once I thought about it, it doesn't look like it will be too hard.

Here is what I will be building, the armed MH-60J version:

mh-60j_6003_02_of_62.jpg?width=1920&heig

53800_1117014191.jpg?width=1920&height=1

I have started by closing in the fuselage on both sides. I had to cut off the door fairings on the port side and half of the starboard side fairing.

(edited)_IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

And working on the interior bulkheads.

IMG_0259.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

IMG_0260.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

I'll keep you updated as this project develops.

Edited by HeavyArty

Sweet Gino looking forward to this one may just have to selfishly copy you haha. Not that it will help you now but when I started work on the VH-60 I backfilled the doortracks with super glue from the inside and then just sanded them down leaving a nice smooth area on the outside, I would see about making masters for this conversion and see if Chris will make the conversion and sell it I sure would like to have one for the Jayhawk and Seahawk. Erick

Thanks guys, its coming along. I cut out the steps on the forward sides and an intake on the right side last night. Faired in the strut openings as well as some fiaring around the right side door. Also relocated the APU exhaust on the left side too. I'll post some more pics soon.

Edited by HeavyArty

:popcorn:

My, my my, now this is going to be an awesome and colorful build.

Cool choice Gino. Like the others have said, I would love to build one of these in 1/35. You should make a basic conversion and offer it for sale. I'm sure it will be a hit. I know I'll buy 2 sets. One for USCG and other to use for USN Sea Hawk. Anyway, make sure to take a lots of photos :woot.gif:

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1

Here is the latest progress. I have finished closing in the fuselage and added rivet details and cut out the steps. I also added the rooftop hard points for the ESSS wing connections and fairings around the landing gear and door cargo opening.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

On the inside, I cut out all the mounting points in the floor using a template someone posted at one of the helo sites, sorry I don't remember who. Then I sheethed the floor using lead foil and pressed it into the openings. Then I placed small rings using the insulation off of copper wire into each. The instrument panel, console, and collectives are from the CC set. I added the extended glare shield to the kit glare shield as well. The floor under the pilots seats was opened to show the radio bays. And a map case was made from sheet styrene. One rudder pedal went AWOL, so I made one out of styrene to replace it.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Lastly, I have added the details to the sliding port side windows and starboard cargo door.

IMG_0265.jpg

Next up are the rear cabin details.

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks, glad you like it.

It´s a bit sad, that the pictures from the first post dont´work.

I hadn't noticed they didn't work any longer. I had to change the name on the album slightly on Photobucket. I can still see them on my computer, must be cached. I'll fix it later. Thanks.

Edit: The first set of pics should work now. Let me know if they still don't.

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the latest update. I have completed the construction of the rear cabin. The side walls, roof, and rear wall are all scratch. The radio rack is as well.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

I also added various access panels on the fuselage.

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

And the tail fold hinges, which does not fold by the way.

IMG_0317.jpg

I have strated painting the interior. I hope to have some more pictures as I get the interior done soon. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for looking.

The conversion work is amazing. :thumbsup: The hinge work on the tail is, well, brilliant. The work so far just leaves me speechless! I have always loved the Seahawk, and looking at your progress... I am in awe.

Can't wait for more pics

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

More progress over the last week or so. I have laid the paint on the interior and started adding details. I forgot to take pics before starting to install the interior, so this is the best I have.

Staboard inner wall with hoist controls.

IMG_0344.jpg

Port side w/interior installed. The web seat is made out of lead foil and styrene rod. The crew seats along the back wall are the left over pilots seats with new frames and Eduard PE belts.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Cockpit with Cobra Company seats, instrument panel, center console, and collectives and cyclic handles. All detail painting done by hand.

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Roof and overhead console. The air duct work is done in A & B putty.

IMG_0340.jpg

Finally, the scratch-built rescue basket. Made out of 0.020 brass rod soldered and super glued together, bridal viel toole for the mesh bottom, and A & B putty for the flotation rolls on either end.

IMG_0336.jpg

Hope you like it. Now onto painting all the gear to go inside. Thanks for looking.

Edited by HeavyArty