Another shout out for Harold's products

This probably belongs in the WIP forum, but I though y'all would like to see what you can do with Harold's F-100 seat:

DSCN2494.jpg

I've gone completely overboard on this kit, combining Aires cockpit with Eduard's color photo etched set (Aires' instrument panel isn't that good), and Harold's seat. I still have a lot of details to add and painting to do before I do any weathering. The seat isn't glued in, yet. It fits perfectly, I just have to add some rollers to the back so it will hang onto the seat tracks properly. When you compare it with pics of the real seat, it's more accurate than Aires' seat.

Ben

This probably belongs in the WIP forum, but I though y'all would like to see what you can do with Harold's F-100 seat:

DSCN2494.jpg

I've gone completely overboard on this kit, combining Aires cockpit with Eduard's color photo etched set (Aires' instrument panel isn't that good), and Harold's seat. I still have a lot of details to add and painting to do before I do any weathering. The seat isn't glued in, yet. It fits perfectly, I just have to add some rollers to the back so it will hang onto the seat tracks properly. When you compare it with pics of the real seat, it's more accurate than Aires' seat.

Ben

WOW,

What a difference from the kit parts......good work Ben.

OK, Ben...how did you get such awesome detail around those dials on the side consoles!!! That is freaking amazing!!!

Harold's seat is awesome. We need to apply pressure to him to get the gun site out. Hint hint....

OK, Ben...how did you get such awesome detail around those dials on the side consoles!!! That is freaking amazing!!!

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not nearly that good by a long shot! I cheated and used Eduard's color photo etched cockpit set. I had picked up the Aires pit because I didn't want to scratchbuild the canopy details, then I bought the Eduard set to replace the Aires instrument panel, which has the bezels etched in as one piece. Eduard's is layered, so you get the right 3-D effect. I hadn't planned to use the consoles, but they looked too good not to use. I only had to trim them a little so they wouldn't interfere with the resin sidewalls. The instrumant panel is the only really disappoining bit in the Aires set. You'd almost be better off dressing up the kit panel or scratchbuilding one for a better 3-D effect.

I felt guilty for using the colored PE, but I figure I'm paying pennance by repainting all of the grey areas the correct Dark Gull Grey (the map case is Eduard's idea of DGG) and adding all of those tiny little switches and knobs. The knobs are folded PE parts, and the switches are bits of wire. I still need to add about a dozen more switches. I'm justifying buying two expensive cockpit sets by using the leftovers on my other Hunzilla, which I'm going to convert to an F-100C. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Ben

the knobs are folded PE? Seriously, they look like little perfectly shaped knobs not wire at all!! I was thinking you cut the knobs off the aires resin and reattached them to the Eduard PE. Don't feel guilty for using the colored PE (If you said you hand painted it, I would have quit this hobby as I would have been totally outclassed). The result is one of the nicest cockpits I have ever seen.

the knobs are folded PE? Seriously, they look like little perfectly shaped knobs not wire at all!! I was thinking you cut the knobs off the aires resin and reattached them to the Eduard PE. Don't feel guilty for using the colored PE (If you said you hand painted it, I would have quit this hobby as I would have been totally outclassed). The result is one of the nicest cockpits I have ever seen.

The four grey knobs (I need to paint them) on the right console were salvaged from the Aires pit, but then I got tired of crawling around on the floor looking for the little ******s after I cut them off, so I switched to folding microscopic PE parts instead. :lol:

Here's what you get with the Eduard cockpit set:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/...edu_32607.shtml

Most of the knobs are on the fret on the bottom of the page. I just painted them black, then cut 'em out and folded them. I put a drop of clear gloss on the console, slid the knob in place, then wicked the excess gloss away with a paint brush. It was a lot easier than I expected. If you just use this set with Harold's seat, you can still get a KILLER cockpit without a lot of work. :cheers:

I'll post some more pics this weekend if the Honey Do list doesn't preclude modeling. My wife's already mentioned the attic this week. Twice.

Cheers!

Ben

Ben,

Nice work on the Hun office. Started this kit last year but many interruptions have delayed progress. I am considering using the Eduard set like you have so well executed and wondered if you had been able to get more pics without incurring the wrath of the spouse?

Regards,

Mike

Thanks to the time change and my early-rising, I've had a couple of hours to play this morning. I repainted a couple of things that have been bothering me and added some stencils, but I still have to fix the thin resin edge of the right armrest, which I keep crushing when I pick the seat up. :thumbsup:

Once the decals are dry, I'll give it a wash & drybrush, then it will be done. The warning stickers are rectangles of decal film that I painted orange, then used black stencils from a 1/72 F-4 stencil sheet for the lettering. I also used the black letters on the yellow pull handles and some white ones for the safety pin storage bags on the sides of the seat. The aircraft serial number was pieced together from several 1/48 aircraft data placard decals.

DSCN2499.jpg

I know I'm sounding like an infomercial, but Harold's seat is that good. If you take some time to paint it right, it makes you look like you're much more talented than you really are! :D

This may be all for today. I spent yesterday working on the cars, so today I'm afraid I'm going to have to make up for it!

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown