Revised Russian Aircraft National Markings

Red stars on Russian combat planes turn multicolor

2 hours ago

MOSCOW (AP) — After more than 90 years, the Russian stars will no longer be all red. They'll be red, white and blue.

The Kremlin-controlled lower house of parliament voted 389-2 Friday to replace Soviet-era red stars on military aircraft with ones bearing the three colors of the Russian national flag. The five-pointed red stars have adorned the planes since the 1917 Bolshevik revolution.

The State Duma made the move even though the red star was officially restored as a military symbol and brought back to the military's parade banners in 2002. The stars had remained on the planes all along, however.

But not all things Soviet have been abandoned. During Vladimir Putin's presidency, Russia also restored the old Soviet national anthem — albeit with new lyrics.

that's really Sad to me...

what a shame

why do they need to change the red stars? ...why?

now, russian planes will looks like they where bearing some kind of circus symbol...

did we really need another blue-white-red, or red-white-blue (or white-blue-red ...or whatever...)???

i havent seen the new colors yet... but first of all, i'm ain't very enthousiat...

:(

Some training units have had tricolor stars for a while. Check out the top of sheet 1 of our Great Game L-39 release and the photo below it:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lhd48009.htm

Shortly after the dissolution of the USSR in 1992 the VVS also experimented with an emblem combining the red star with an attached 'besik' (white-blue-red Russian flag). It featured on some Su-17s and -24s. That insignia was dropped after a short while.

That new star looks and sound not very cool. Maybe we will get used to it, but still....Nothing beats the big-*** red star on MiG-31 for example.

The unguided rockets looks funny under the An-72 wing. :(

I'm extremely angry with that decision. I hope it get repealed. But the new start are supposed to look like this. What a shame...

I must say that I kind of agree with Z here...I think the original star with just the red simply looks better than that small star with barely visible border.

So the Dallas Cowboys now are the administrators of the Russian Air Force?

Given how one's been around longer than the other, I'd say it's more likely you've got some Russkie flyboys running the Dallas team.

I'm somewhat surprised that this hasn't devolved into a discussion about the armament on an An-72... btw...just keep that beautiful red star...no need for anything else...

Cheers,

Dave

I'm ambivalent about the change. On one hand, it is a recognizable symbol for the Russian Air Force. On the other... it's a visible symbol of the past. I imagine a lot of people in Eastern Europe see the red star in a similar vein as the hackenkraus, and thus wouldn't mind seeing it vanish.

Personally, I don't mind the change, provided they pull it off in a reasonable manner. I don't think this is too terrible a change...so far.

I'm somewhat surprised that this hasn't devolved into a discussion about the armament on an An-72... Dave

Whats to discuss? Its a very common practice for border patrol/FSB An-72 and An-74 to carry 2 rocket pods and one UPK-23-2 gun pods.

Edited by Zmey Smirnoff
I imagine a lot of people in Eastern Europe see the red star in a similar vein as the hackenkraus, and thus wouldn't mind seeing it vanish.

This is probably dangerous territory to go into on this forum, but I always equated the Red Stars to the German Cross and not to the Hackenkraus. The Red Star and Black Cross were national symbols, the Hackenkraus was a party symbol. Note in Germany they have banned displaying the Hackenkraus, but not the German Cross - two very different types of symbols.