Hase F-14 1/48 any tips on the Nose/Fuse join??

I am building my first ever Hasegawa F-14 tomcat in 1/48, i love this kit till now, is there a trick on how to tackle the Nose area to the Fuse? I have had a complete rough time getting them to go and it's still not a perfect fit.

So any tips/Tricks on how to get a perfect fit?

Glue the complete forward fuselage/cockpit to the top body half first. You'll get the best fit to the top body possible though there will be a bit of re-shaping of the side of the top body piece if you want it perfectly smooth. I've never had problems with the nosecone fitting the fuselage provided you assemble the fuselage correctly. I've had a few that required a fraction of a millimeter shim on the top of the forward fuselage...

May take some test fitting but it's 1000% better than dealing with the revellogram...

-brian

I always cut the back piece of plastic in the cockpit section... that way, the two halves of the cockpit section got space to move side-to-side to fit flush against top part of the fuselage.

Glue the complete forward fuselage/cockpit to the top body half first. You'll get the best fit to the top body possible though there will be a bit of re-shaping of the side of the top body piece if you want it perfectly smooth. I've never had problems with the nosecone fitting the fuselage provided you assemble the fuselage correctly. I've had a few that required a fraction of a millimeter shim on the top of the forward fuselage...

May take some test fitting but it's 1000% better than dealing with the revellogram...

-brian

Irrelevant

Its a real B**ch for sure. I agree with the comments above. Cut the plastic out of the back of the forward fuselage. Also make sure that the body is not glued together too narrowly. That happened to me so I cut into some of the seams in the body increasing the size of the opening in the fuselage and that really helped.

Its a real B**ch for sure. I agree with the comments above. Cut the plastic out of the back of the forward fuselage. Also make sure that the body is not glued together too narrowly. That happened to me so I cut into some of the seams in the body increasing the size of the opening in the fuselage and that really helped.

use two appropriately sized sprues in the missile recesses to align both front and back. this also helps you to reduce the amount of filling on the lower portion, which is harder to reach

12.jpg

from there, use sheet styrene, putty etc to fill the gap on the upper fuselage, which is much easier to reach also

11.jpg

I am building my first ever Hasegawa F-14 tomcat in 1/48, i love this kit till now, is there a trick on how to tackle the Nose area to the Fuse? I have had a complete rough time getting them to go and it's still not a perfect fit.

So any tips/Tricks on how to get a perfect fit?

You think that's bad, wait till you put those GD intakes on, those are the real pain in the 6! Sorry, I'm not helping...

David - that's a great tip for the lower side :worship: If you attach the cockpit section to the top half of the body all that filling at the top isn't needed.

-brian

Irrelevant

Jeeez, maybe I should have used this smiley :D It was a joke. It's not like I screamed "TWEET"... :worship:

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Thanks for all the tips and hints, it's tooooooo late do anything on the current build but when i do my F-14D for the Tomcat GB i will give them a go. I have to say with even these little fit problems i am REALLY enjoying this build, i try and get some pics in WIP soon.