Eurofighter Typhoon colors

I currently have the 1/72 scale Revell-Germany Typhoon two-seater family edition and I would like to build it in Spanish markings. I am using Testors MM enamels to paint it. Unfortunately, Revell has it own color system and thier infamous color mixing suggestions.....and of course I don't have Revell paint, nor get it locally. Does anyone know the proper paint scheme for the plane in either FS numbers or Testors?

Hi John -

The correct color (RAF version for certain) is RAF Barley Grey. I suspect that all of the EF2000s are in the same color. The RAF Tiffies I shot at DMAFB back in April were definately in this color.

The problem is that only Humbrol makes this color - HU167. I just ordered a tin from Squadron prior to the holidays so I can complete my 1/48th Tiffie before Twobobs releases the decal sheet. Then I can finish the aircraft in the markings I want.

An excellent color cross-reference for virtually all paint manufacturers is on the IMPS Stockholm website. Go to the site and click on references then go to Urban's color reference charts - you'll be amazed.

I also had sincere problems with the Revell Germany method of color referencing and the Urban chart totally resolved that problem.

ATB - Happy Holidays and best of luck with the Tiffie - We'll need to see photos of the completed model on ARC when you're done!!

- Rip -

EDIT - I just jumped out and grabbed the web site for you: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp IPMS Stockholm - Urban's Color Reference

I currently have the 1/72 scale Revell-Germany Typhoon two-seater family edition and I would like to build it in Spanish markings. I am using Testors MM enamels to paint it. Unfortunately, Revell has it own color system and thier infamous color mixing suggestions.....and of course I don't have Revell paint, nor get it locally. Does anyone know the proper paint scheme for the plane in either FS numbers or Testors?
Edited by RipVW
Hi John -

The correct color (RAF version for certain) is RAF Barley Grey. I suspect that all of the EF2000s are in the same color. The RAF Tiffies I shot at DMAFB back in April were definately in this color.

The problem is that only Humbrol makes this color - HU167. I just ordered a tin from Squadron prior to the holidays so I can complete my 1/48th Tiffie before Twobobs releases the decal sheet. Then I can finish the aircraft in the markings I want.

An excellent color cross-reference for virtually all paint manufacturers is on the IMPS Stockholm website. Go to the site and click on references then go to Urban's color reference charts - you'll be amazed.

I also had sincere problems with the Revell Germany method of color referencing and the Urban chart totally resolved that problem.

ATB - Happy Holidays and best of luck with the Tiffie - We'll need to see photos of the completed model on ARC when you're done!!

- Rip -

Well, if it is RAF Barley Grey, I'm not going to worry about that. I have a couple of tins of Humbrol including Barley Grey and according to the directions, all three machines (RAF EdA & Luftwaffe) are the same grey overall. The same with the nose.

Unfortunately with the color charts, they match the exact color, but not color mixes. The overall grey and the grey on the nose on the Typoons are mixes, so the charts aren't going to help.

This came from the Eurofighter Flight Test, via an IPMS member:-

Overall BS381C:626 Barley Grey - Humbrol 167, Tamiya XF19 (according to Humbrol,) Gunze Sangyo 57 (also according to Humbrol,) Xtracolor X017, Xtracrylix XA1017.

Cockpit BS381C:632 Dark Admiralty Grey - Xtracolor X410

Leading and trailing edge flap interiors FS36280

Intake flap interior Barley Grey.

Inside intake ducting FS26492

Radome FS36314

Edgar

Each nations use their own gray shade. Barley Gray is a BS colour that have no sense in Italian Pantone or German RAL system.

German Typhoons use to be paint in the most bluish shade, almost azure.

Colour are as follow:

RAF- BS381C no. 629 Camouflage (Barley) Grey.

Luftwaffe - FS35237

EdA - FS36492

AMI - FS36440 Approx match since officially is 36280 and nobody makes it!

Cockpit is BS381C no. 632 Dark Admiralty Grey.

Leading and trailing edge flap interiors: FS595B 36280 (Slightly lighter than RAF Ocean Grey).

Intake Flap interior: BS381C no. 626 Camouflage (Barley) Grey.

Intakes (Aft of intake flap - Inside intake ducting): FS595B 26492.

Radome: FS595B 36314 Flint Grey (This is supposedly an FS equivalent to Barley Grey, however looking at the real aircraft it appears to have a slight brownish tint).

Also of note is the canopy tint, Johnsons Klear with a Yellow and Dark Brown ink.

--

Paolo

So, technically, Revell-Germany is wrong with thier colors (all three machines the same grey). OK. What about the new Saudi Typhoons, what is thier color? Would it be the same as the RAF?

Everybody, thanks for your replies. Paolo, thanks for the response....it will help me considerably! :trolls:

So, technically, Revell-Germany is wrong with thier colors (all three machines the same grey). OK. What about the new Saudi Typhoons, what is thier color? Would it be the same as the RAF?

Everybody, thanks for your replies. Paolo, thanks for the response....it will help me considerably! :monkeydance:

Yes, the Revell instructions are completely wrong.

Saudi Typhoons are overall RAF grey with patches of German grey similar to (but not the same as) their F-15 scheme. They are NOT, contrary to popular belief, painted in the Mod Eagle scheme. There are a couple of photos on the Eurofighter website.