Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Mustang

Well I have been lazy taking pictures on this one! I started about 3 weeks ago. I have used a True Details cockpit and wheels everything else is out of the box so far...

But I have been thinking of some ultracast bits!!! Have to wait and see thou!

SV400001Resized.jpg

SV400002Resized.jpg

SV400007Resized.jpg

SV400008Resized.jpg

SV400009Resized.jpg

SV400013Resized.jpg

SV400014Resized.jpg

SV400111Resized.jpg

SV400333Resized.jpg

Edited by moeggo

That's looking like a good start. That True Details cockpit set looks like a good option too.

Those P-51 kits are nice. However, this is the Mustang we are talking about and they should always be a state-of-the-art kit which they currently are not. Sorry, I had to throw that in there.

Well masking is all done!! I didn't take one with all the green masking tape

9.jpg

I just couldn't hold myself back! I just had to spray too! I gave the red stripe a base coat of flat white first and then did the red. Tomorrow I'm planning to spray the yellow on the nose and tail, but I will have to go down the local store and get the colour!

10.jpg

What did you use for your bare metal finish? And dang you are a fast builder! lol

Hi Steve,

I used Mr Hobby Metallic paint, as I did in my P-47D build at the beginning of the GB.

And dang you are a fast builder! lol

I did start this about 3 weeks prior to posting.... as I was beenlazy and not taking photos along the way!

Looks good! I actually have gotten the inspiration to do the same kit after seeing your go at it. Don't think I will be that successful with the masking, BUT, I am gonna set it up. Too neat of a paint scheme!

I think I will put together one of my -47's for the GB though!

-Jim

I have sprayed the yellow and the green during the week, and its come up great.

10-1.jpg

11.jpg

I tried to masked the checker board and paint it but it never came out right, so in the end I used the decal supplied in the kit...

I also pull off the tape and then noticed that I have painted the red stripe to short due the tape from the nose. So I will have to give it a few coats future and try to mask the nose decal lightly to extend the red stripe.

12.jpg

Is this going to be the Gunfighter? I think that a guy up in Omaha owns it. I have some pictures if that is the one you are making. It looks awesome! I have always wanted to do schemes like this but I am not too confident in my masking abilities.

Looks good and nice save. I have to say that sometimes I see this scheme with a different green--maybe a British green. I don't know which is more correct but I prefer the OD like you have.

Just got back from spending two days at a airshow..

I have tomorrow off work so I should get the panel was done tomorrow after the touch ups!

Steve - I have seen a couple of different shades too but the OD looks better to me!