F/A-18E Weapon Loads

Joe Hegedus is the man when it comes to Hornet Loadout info... he's probably done this question several dozen times, so I would suggest try a search... hehehe :thumbsup: If it doesn't make it for you, drop him a line :)

Take Care

A lot of recent combat loads over Iraq and Afghanistan are assymetric, with a 'goofy gas' configuration - a fuel tank under the centreline and one under the right wing, with a mix of small PGMs (typically chose a mix of 2 or 3 500 JDAMs, 2 or 3 500lbs Paveway IIs, and occasionally a laser AGM-65E Maverick missile is carried as well). Wingtip sidewinders are the norm, with an ATFLIR targetting pod on the left side fuselage weapons pylon. AMRAAMs are rarely carried these days from what I've seen.

Typically when carrying this mix of GBU-12 (500lb paveway 2) and GBU-38 (500lb JDAM) it seems that the smaller and less bulky JDAMs get loaded closer to the fuselage, presumably as these stations are more restricted for space around them and as such weapons loading is easier with the smaller bombs. The larger paveway IIs are more commonly are hung on the middle or outer wing pylons.

Personally I find the asymmetric loads seriously ugly, but they seem very common indeed!

Typically when carrying this mix of GBU-12 (500lb paveway 2) and GBU-38 (500lb JDAM) it seems that the smaller and less bulky JDAMs get loaded closer to the fuselage, presumably as these stations are more restricted for space around them and as such weapons loading is easier with the smaller bombs. The larger paveway IIs are more commonly are hung on the middle or outer wing pylons.

Personally I find the asymmetric loads seriously ugly, but they seem very common indeed!

So on the 3 wing pylons, the GBU-38's would be on the inboard left, and the remaining pylons would be taken up with GBU-12's? Or would there be a different mix?

Most common load out;

Station 1 = empty

Station 2 =empty

Station 3 = GBU-12 or GBU-38

Station 4 = GBU-12 or GBU-38, but the same weapon as station 3

Station 5 = ATFLIR Pod

Station 6 = Drop Tank

Station 7 = AIM-120 or empty

Station 8 = Drop Tank

Station 9 = GBU-12 or GBU-38, which ever weapon you didn't use on the other side

Station 10 = empty

Station 11 = AIM-9X

That is the most common load out I have seen the fleet do recently, rarely would you see the bird loaded something like this;

Station 1 = empty

Station 2 =empty

Station 3 = AGM-65

Station 4 = GBU-38

Station 5 = ATFLIR Pod

Station 6 = Drop Tank

Station 7 = AIM-120 or empty

Station 8 = Drop Tank

Station 9 = GBU-12

Station 10 = empty

Station 11 = AIM-9X

Reddog :wave:

Reddog hit it for common OIF/OEF load outs; and it's standardized by each air wing (so, -115 and -122 would use the same loads). Usually for OIF one jet in each section will have an LMav loaded. That said, there are numerous possibilities with the Rhino (such as, depending on what was going on the loads could be vastly different from "common")....best shot is a picture if you want accurate.

HTH

Spongebob

Reddog hit it for common OIF/OEF load outs; and it's standardized by each air wing (so, -115 and -122 would use the same loads). Usually for OIF one jet in each section will have an LMav loaded. That said, there are numerous possibilities with the Rhino (such as, depending on what was going on the loads could be vastly different from "common")....best shot is a picture if you want accurate.

HTH

Spongebob

I'm sure you meant VFA-115 and VFA-22 and just made a typo; VFA-122 is the RAG and doesn't deploy.

I thought the built the the Super Hornet bigger and added 2 pylons so that they could avoid those asymmetric loads. They make me feel all funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class

A lot of recent combat loads over Iraq and Afghanistan are assymetric, with a 'goofy gas' configuration - a fuel tank under the centreline and one under the right wing, with a mix of small PGMs (typically chose a mix of 2 or 3 500 JDAMs, 2 or 3 500lbs Paveway IIs, and occasionally a laser AGM-65E Maverick missile is carried as well). Wingtip sidewinders are the norm, with an ATFLIR targetting pod on the left side fuselage weapons pylon. AMRAAMs are rarely carried these days from what I've seen.