1/72 Denel CSH-2 Rooivalk

Hi Gang,

Here is one for the out of the ordinary file, a Denel CSH-2 Rooivalk (South African Air Force attack helicopter). The kit is made by Scaleworx of South Africa and is a full resin kit with p/e parts and a vacuformed canopy. Given that this is my first go at this kind of kit, I'll be learning as I go here. Molded in blue resin, the parts casting is flawless, with petite engraved detail on the fuselage halves. The overall detail is very sharp.

The parts layout (photo courtesy of Tim Vereecke of ScaleRotors.com);

scaleworx-72-01-rooivalk-00.jpg

And progress thus far. The cockpit bulkhead had a sizable gap which necessitated styrene shims to fill (plus glazing putty filler). The bottom seam also required shimming and filling, though it was more my fault as the halves lined up quite well prior to joining them (got into too a big hurry when closing the fuselage). From here it is dealing with the seams around the rotor pylon and tail area, plus adding all the cockpit bits. Wish me luck!

100_2608.jpg

100_2609.jpg

100_2611.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore

Cool.. nice to see SA model kits too. Do you have a link to the manufacturers perchance? I can see the scale rotors site, and the link to Aviation mega store, just wondered whether the manafacturers sell direct.

Edited by Deon
Cool.. nice to see SA model kits too. Do you have a link to the manufacturers perchance? I can see the scale rotors site, and the link to Aviation mega store, just wondered whether the manafacturers sell direct.

I believe some other thread about Scaleworx said they won't sell directly to Europe. All their business here runs through aviationmegastore. :wave: The Rooivalk is a tad expensive for my taste, although it looks like it's worth it.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
I believe some other thread about Scaleworx said they won't sell directly to Europe. All their business here runs through aviationmegastore. :monkeydance: The Rooivalk is a tad expensive for my taste, although it looks like it's worth it.

Correct, due to the dreadfully high bank charges in SA both Scale Worx (John W) and Mav Decals (Zane J) have opted to let all non SA orders go through the aviation Mega-store.

If you're into 1/48th, the Rooivalk is on its way in that scale, I saw (and held and drooled over) the masters several weeks ago while in SA!

Andrew Spring

• 2 weeks later...

Now back to the Rooivalk though a minor update it is.

I filled the gap in the rear cockpit bulkhead in, plus filled the gaps in the engine pylon-to-fuselage seam and aft tail section and primed everything to see how it turned out. A little refining with some Mr Surfacer is needed, but the bulk of that seam work is done. Next steps will be trimming the vacuum-formed canopy to fit and build up the cockpit.

Cheers,

Alby

100_2685.jpg

100_2686.jpg

100_2688.jpg

Okay gang, small update but a major victory. The vac. formed canopy has been trimmed and fitted. This was one of the biggest things that made me nervous so I wanted to tackle it now while in the rough stages of the build. Now that that task is completed I can move on without trepidation. I also dipped it into some Future to help with clarity, which also helped with making the framing more visible. The styrene strip was added to give the canopy something positive to glue to.

Comments welcomed as always.

Cheers,

Alby

100_2698.jpg

100_2696.jpg

Edited by Albert Moore

Thanks Fish! In addition to its SAAF colors, this would be a nifty whif build too. Given the Rooivalk's home land has its extreme operating environments, the Rooivalk would be quite at home in mid-east (like the IDF/AF!) or northern African air forces colors as well.

Cheers,

Alby

Hi Alby, brave work on your 'copter but very successfully carried out :cheers:

This is an unusual subject. Kind of like a Super Cobra but...... different,.......if you know what I mean.... :worship:

:cheers:

I look forward to seeing how this looks under a coat of paint.

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Back with an update. The cockpit parts have been painted and installed. Given that the Rooivalk has a black cockpit, there isn't much to see really. The ballistics shields are photo-etched and come with the kit. I used Testor's clear cement/window maker for the blast shield glass. I'll do a little more detail painting where appropriate just to liven things up a bit. Next up, I'll finish the seam work and add the canopy.

100_2736.jpg

100_2738.jpg

100_2737.jpg

100_2739.jpg

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Back again with my next installment of the Scaleworx resin Rooivalk build adventure. I made a lot of progress this weekend. All the fuselage sensors and RWR antennas have been added, as well as some photo-etched bits, and the stubs wings epoxied in place. The joints OOB were butt joints so I drilled holes into the fuselage and corresponding holes into the wings to allow for the use of brass rod for alignment and strength purposes. Prior to adding the wings, all the weapons pylons were added and the seams cleaned up with Mr. Surfacer. Five minute epoxy was used to adhere the wings to the fuselage. I had to rebuild the area up around the back of the canopy with some putty and reshape it as I removed too much resin while cleaning the rotor pylon/upper fuselage seam. Next up will be adding the canopy, landing gear struts and getting everything up to snuff before painting commences.

100_2759.jpg

100_2760.jpg

100_2761.jpg

100_2763.jpg

100_2764.jpg

100_2765.jpg

Cheers,

Alby