The AIRES 1/48 B-58 Hustler Exhaust Issue/Debate

Hi everyone,

I have heard people say that the AIRES exhausts for the 1/48 B-58 don't fit, and that they are a rehash of the F-4 set. This is not true. The B-58 exhausts do fit, and are much larger than the F-4 set. Here are a few pictures showing a comparison of the two sets, and how they fit to the B-58 kit parts. Also, as you can see in the last picture, my set came with a damaged exhaust. Anybody know how to get a replacement? I hope this helps, as it was a PITA to put together.

Cheers,

-Doug :coolio:

B58a.jpg

B58b.jpg

B58c.jpg

Even more odd... the first examples of the AiRes B-58 set *were* undersized. Maybe they corrected them. Maybe they were just early samples sent out by mistake. But at least some of the sets *are* "F-4 sized".

When/where did you buy your set, Doug? It'd be cool if we could unwrap more of the mystery. Though it's good to know that there IS an aftermarket alternative to the exhausts after all.

Well,

I bought mine from Sprue Brothers around 7/10/2007 (that is what the sticker says). I think I got them right after they were released, and I read that they didn't fit, so I didn't open the box. However, I did the other day and discoved this, so I guess that is good. What is interesting too, is that the exhausts are too big to fit the Monogram F-4. I think the Vigilante exhausts almost fit the Monogram kit, but not the Hasegawa, so ARIES must have three different sets of masters for the -79 engines. I wonder which kit is right?

Cheers,

-Doug :D

Thanks for the pics. They show that the Aires exhausts are different sizes than their F-4 exhausts, but looking at the pictures with the ruler, the B-58 exhaust seems to be 2" in diameter, while the Monogram nacelle looks to be about 2 1/4", which would seem to imply that the exhausts are still a little small.

The variations in size are interesting. In reality, there is only one correct size for a J-79 exhaust, however it appears that kit manufacturers have been all over the place on the size. So that poses a problem for the aftermarket company. Do they measure a real J-79 and make an accurate 1/48 scale representation, and it may fit some kits (or none if no one actually got it right), but not others? Or do they make exhausts sized to fit a specific kit, accurate or not? I suspect that most people would rather have one that fits than one that is dimensionally accurate, but not even close to fitting.

Regarding the CC exhausts, remember they are only one size, so they aren't going to fit all of the kits of the aircraft that they listed. I believe they are the ones that were originally done under the Highflight label and probably sized for the Hasegawa F-4s, which would make them too small for the Monogram B-58 kit.

We bought ours at the same time almost I suppose, however the fact to me remains that this set here does not fit, so did I get a bad box? They are almost 2mm too narrow and can be pushed down into the kit nacele. I guess if someone else brings this topic up again the reply should be: they might fit, depends on the age of the set they are buying.

Edited by metroman
Thanks for the pics. They show that the Aires exhausts are different sizes than their F-4 exhausts, but looking at the pictures with the ruler, the B-58 exhaust seems to be 2" in diameter, while the Monogram nacelle looks to be about 2 1/4", which would seem to imply that the exhausts are still a little small.

I guess the smart thing to do would have been to hold the ruler up to the base of the exhaust, not the end :bandhead2: The exhaust actaully does fit pretty spot on. I figure by the time you sand to fill the seams, it should be just right.

Cheers,

-Doug :)

The variations in size are interesting. In reality, there is only one correct size for a J-79 exhaust, however it appears that kit manufacturers have been all over the place on the size. So that poses a problem for the aftermarket company. Do they measure a real J-79 and make an accurate 1/48 scale representation, and it may fit some kits (or none if no one actually got it right), but not others? Or do they make exhausts sized to fit a specific kit, accurate or not? I suspect that most people would rather have one that fits than one that is dimensionally accurate, but not even close to fitting.

Regarding the CC exhausts, remember they are only one size, so they aren't going to fit all of the kits of the aircraft that they listed. I believe they are the ones that were originally done under the Highflight label and probably sized for the Hasegawa F-4s, which would make them too small for the Monogram B-58 kit.

Dave,

The ruler he's using is in milimeters, not inches. Wow..2 1/4 inches would be a HUGE exhaust! :lol:

Probably. It's been said that one of the flaws in the 1/48 kit is that nacelles are somewhat oversized.

On the other hand, the Hasegawa exhausts are actually undersized, IIRC. (hence the criticism that the engine bulge shapes are 'off' on the kit)

I *believe* that the exhausts in the Monogram F-4 are considered to be the most accurately dimensioned. So that's probably about the best place to look to see a 1/48 J-79, and to see how oversized the B-58, or undersized the Hasegawa parts are. It'd be interesting to compare the Monogram, Hasegawa and AiRes F-4 parts, Monogram, Hasegawa and AiRes F-104 parts, and Monogram and AiRes B-58 parts all with one another. There'd probably be an enormous range of differences between them all.

What was that saying about 'no such thing as an accurate model' again? :thumbsup:

Last week I played around with the J-79 nozzles from Hasegawa's F-4 and F-104, High Flight/Cobra Company, Monogram F-4C/D and F-104, and Eagle Designs. The Has. F-104 nozzles look great, but are significanty larger in diameter than the others, which dashed my hopes of using a pair on my Has. RF-4C. They are too big for the Monogram F-4, too. Monogram's are the next-largest, but not by much. The nozzles intended for the Hasegawa kits are more or less the same diameter, and will fit the Monogram F-4 without too much trouble. Based on what I've read on the forums, I was expecting the Monogram nozzles to be much larger than the Has. ones, but there really wasn't that much a difference. I'll probably use a pair of Cobra Company nozzles on my Monogram F-4D. I can measure the nozzle diameters later, if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Ben

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

So, apparently there are different sized sets of these exhausts out there. Check out Dave's review on HS here.

That is so strange, perhaps I was just lucky with my set? I guess you just have to hope you get the right set when you buy these things....

Cheers,

-Doug :taunt:

Gents

There are BIG differences in the exhausts as noted by Dave Aungsts review on Hyperscale. I will also say that Dave is in the middle of doing something very cool for this kit but will not say much else as I don't want any speculation to start.

Cheers

Mike