I had just started this kit when I heard of the group build, so I'm including it. This has been a rapid out-of-the box build and as of April 20th it's almost done.

Gluing on the cowl with Gorilla Glue. Note the fixture to help gravity align the thing as it is not a snap fit- sort of loose.

SBD-4001.jpg

Next will be a bunch of fiddly bits, antennas, bombs, etc.

I should note that I plan on displaying the model in a dive ready to drop bombs. this is why I did the canopy closed and wheels up.

SBD-4002.jpg

A first for me- I did this kit all with mixes of Tamiya jar paint. The white was X-2 right out of the bottle with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner used at about 50/50 ratio. Makes for a really nice white. The other color mixes were per reccomndations I found on ARC and Hyperscale, turned out very well I thought.

Great kit, should have more updates this week.

Awesome build, i really like the weathering job you did on the lower surfaces!

I'm having a hard time with the wings of my kit...

Btw... did your kit come with a spinner you won't be using? My SBD-3 didn't come with one (Acc mixed parts)

Edited by Lock n' Load
Btw... did your kit come with a spinner you won't be using? My SBD-3 didn't come with one (Acc mixed parts)

Due to my "in flight/divebombing" display, I may not use my spinner but I can't guarntee that yet. I even have it all painted up and decalled- If I decide not to use it, it is yours. I might know in 2-weeks. I'm trying to decide how I want to finish the prop- maybe a clear plactic disk with yellow airbrushed at the circumfrance to replicate a moving prop.

Alternatively, AM is pretty good getting you missing parts- give them an E-mail. My kit actually had a "short shot" molding defect in the big lower wing piece, they sent me a completely new sprue!

Edited by toadwbg
Awesome build, i really like the weathering job you did on the lower surfaces!

I'm surprised you can see the weathring in the poor picture and low resolution I took! I did use a Pro-Modeler wash and it did turn out just right in my opinoin.

I'm having a hard time with the wings of my kit...

What kind of problems? Alighnment? The rear lower wing to fusalage?

I glued my upper wings to the fusalage first, than the larger lower piece. This took care of problems at the upper wing joint and the wing tips. I used little clothes-pin like clamps as I move around the wing from the fusalge to the tips to hold alighment and clamp together until dry. I use Tenax with a brush.

However the rear lower wing to fuslage was a little fiddly and I had to fill & sand. Nothing that bad however.

Edited by toadwbg

Thanks man i really appreciate your concern.

Must be i have eagles eyes :jaw-dropping:

And oh god, i have problems with the exact same spot you did, there is a medium step, and a little gap, i don't want to sand that much, as i might bring down the 3 lights molded into the lower wing.

I already tried to mail Acc, but they wanted to charge me 15 bucks for shipping and handling to mexico for that whole sprue (i don't know what i'll do with an extra pair of fuselage halvs!

I already tried to mail Acc, but they wanted to charge me 15 bucks for shipping and handling to mexico for that whole sprue (i don't know what i'll do with an extra pair of fuselage halvs!

That's a crock of poo- AM should eat the cost of that if they didn't box the correct parts to begin with. You should tell them than and than tell them Toad said so.

Thanks man i really appreciate your concern.

Must be i have eagles eyes :thumbsup:

And oh god, i have problems with the exact same spot you did, there is a medium step, and a little gap, i don't want to sand that much, as i might bring down the 3 lights molded into the lower wing.

don't worry about sanding off the lower 3 lights, easily rescribed and drilled.

I found a scrap plastic shim (or maybe it was Evergreen Stryrene strips) and fit it in the gap between the rear lower wing piece and fusalage. I cut it down to about the same profile as the other surfaces with my Xacto knive than super-glued it all together and clamped it until nice and hard and dry. Then, break out the sanding sticks. It will be done in the time it takes to drink a cervaza- and don't tell me your too young for that.

If i tell you the truth, those who get in the chat will kill me (Pssst, i don't like beer, i only drink good ole tequila) but you didn't hear that from me.

Thanks! i will try that when i sit with the Dauntless this weekend.

OK- Done.

As I previously mentioned- I wanted to display this in-action- divebombing. I'm very happy with the display but I still want to use something to represent the prop as it just looks a bit naked without a prop or prop blur.

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009005.jpg

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009003.jpg

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009010.jpg

I was happy the bomb and sling could hold their position. Used Gorilla Super Glue.

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009001.jpg

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009007.jpg

SBD-5Dauntless25April2009008.jpg

I added pilot figures and just slighlty customized them to fit them in. All that work in the cockpit and you really can't see any of it in the final work with the canopy closed.

Edited by toadwbg