What did/do the RAF Typhoons carry when they intercept(ed) Russian Bears flying towards Britain? I have Revell's 1/48th Typhoon and am starting to gather references.

TIA,

Ricardo

Nice photo and an excellent reference for my build. I just ordered Two Mikes APU exhaust (probably could have made it my own from plastic rod, though).

Thanks Magman!

Ricardo

Edited by madcow

4 + 4 is the usual QRA fit, although I've been told that sometimes they go up with 4 AMRAAMs and 2 ASRAAMs.

Theoretically at least there's also the 6 AMRAAM + 2 ASRAAM fit, although I've only ever seen that one on test.

This being the loadout that Bobski refers to. This plane was part of a 4-ship, which was unfortunately scrubbed as one of the planes went U/S, so I was unable to get a really good shot - that part of the apron is quite tricky to get good angles to take pics.

6AMRAAMs.jpg

Edited by Nev
4 + 4 is the usual QRA fit, although I've been told that sometimes they go up with 4 AMRAAMs and 2 ASRAAMs.

Theoretically at least there's also the 6 AMRAAM + 2 ASRAAM fit, although I've only ever seen that one on test.

Also theoretically 4 amraams and 8 asraam can be carried. The outer two pylons having twin launchers, however I dont know if the RAF hs purchased these yet, I think I saw it on a spanish trail jet.

Also theoretically 4 amraams and 8 asraam can be carried. The outer two pylons having twin launchers, however I dont know if the RAF hs purchased these yet, I think I saw it on a spanish trail jet.

spanish trail Typhoon twin launchers , this launcher can be used on spanish F/A18, its for the IRIS-T

aim200004wm6.jpg

Net Photo

Edited by magman2

Do be serious...!We're talking about the MoD here!The only things on their purchaseing list is the wall paper for the sec def's orifice! sorry,office! :)

I mean they could'nt even provide enough Osprey CBA for the troops in Iraq! :soapbox:

You said it spike!

then again they spend stuipid amounts of money like moding tornados to carry left over Navy AiM-102B's when they gave up the SHAR!

Nothing, and I mean nothing makes sense in MOD procurement, Nimrod AEW? anyone cost £1 billion, and that was back when a billion was a lot!

They still have pleanty of money to spend o new chairs in Whitehall though!

Julien

6AMRAAMs.jpg

What's that bump below the front glass right after the nose cone? The Typhoon on the other photo (the one with the Bear) doesn't have it. Revell has that part on the kit as an option IIRC.

Ricardo

6AMRAAMs.jpg

What's that bump below the front glass right after the nose cone? The Typhoon on the other photo (the one with the Bear) doesn't have it. Revell has that part on the kit as an option IIRC.

Ricardo

You mean this?

et_as_sf_ir_001.jpg

PIRATE sensor:

http://typhoon.starstreak.net/Eurofighter/sensors.html

Passive detection

An alternative method is to use an on-board passive system for detection. The PIRATE, or Passive Infra Red Airborne Tracking Equipment is a 2nd generation Imaging Infra Red (IIR) system and performs this duty of passive detection. PIRATE is constructed by the EuroFirst consortium led by Pilkington-Thorn Optronics (now Thales Optronics).

The technology

PIRATE incorporates both a Forward Looking Infra Red (or FLIR) and Infra Red Search and Track (or IRST) capability. The system itself utilises a highly sensitive Infra Red sensor mounted to the port side of the canopy. This equipment scans across wavelengths from 3 to 11 µm in two bands. This allows the detection of both the hot exhaust plumes of jet engines as well as surface heating caused by friction. By supercooling the sensor even small variations in temperature can be detected at long range. Although no definitive ranges have been released an upper limit of 80nm has been hinted at, a more typical figure would be 30 to 50nm. The use of processing techniques further enhances the output, giving a near high resolution image of targets. The actual output from the system can be directed to any of the Multi-function Head Down Displays mounted within the cockpit. Additionally the image can be overlaid on both the Helmet Mounted Sight and Head Up Display.

The IIR sensor is stabilised within its mount so that it can maintain a target within its field of view. Up to 200 targets can be simultaneously tracked by the system using one of several different modes; Multiple Target Track (MTT), Single Target Track (STT), Single Target Track Ident (STTI), Sector Acquisition and Slaved Acquisition. In MTT mode the system will scan a designated volume space looking for potential targets. In STT mode PIRATE will provide high precision tracking of a single designated target. An addition to this mode, STT Ident allows for visual identification of the target, the resolution being superior to that provided by CAPTOR. Both Sector and Slave Acquisition demonstrate the level of sensor fusion present in the Typhoon. When in Sector Acquisition mode PIRATE will scan a volume of space under direction of another Typhoon sensor such as CAPTOR. In Slave Acquisition the use of off-board sensors is made with PIRATE being commanded by data obtained from an AWACS for example. When a target is found in either of these modes PIRATE will automatically designate it and switch to STT.

Once a target has been tracked and identified PIRATE can be used to cue an appropriately equipped short range missile, i.e. a missile with a high off-boresight tracking capability such as ASRAAM. Additionally the data can be used to augment that of CAPTOR or off-board sensor information via the AIS. This should enable the Typhoon to overcome severe ECM environments and still engage its targets.

Exactly. So it seems some aircraft have them, some others don't.

Ricardo

I gather the entire RAF fleet will eventually have them as they are standard fit from Tranche 4(?) but being retrofitted to earlier Tranches as jets are upgraded to current standard.

Merv

Gents,

I know I posted the pic before quite recently but this was the jet pictured in that intercept pic (ZJ932/DB) from 2007. It's still in the original (no PIRATE sensor) configuration at the moment.

IMG_0727.jpg

The upgrades of the earlier jets (Tranche 1 block 2/2B to block 5 for single-seaters) seemed to follow quite a straightforward pattern, but I can't help thinking that something has altered this. No further jets seem to have gone back to Warton for quite a while now for the block 5 upgrade, and the jets already there haven't been returned very quickly recently. Also the delivery of ZJ950 and now the appearance of ZK300 on test flights without the PIRATE sensor is mudding the waters somewhat as well. It's pure speculation on my part, and I have nothing to support it, but I did wonder if these Tranche 2 block 8 jets without PIRATE are going to form the inital complement of 1435 Flt down the Falklands, as I believe they're not capable in the air-to-ground role which makes them less than useful at the moment with the other squadrons if they're working up in that role. Again just a theory, but they're replacing air-to-air dedicated F3's so maybe the thinking is to send them down there, and pull the PIRATE sensors for other jets, perhaps there's a shortage (would hardly be a suprise now would it?). I'm open to any other theories, or anything based on information!

Gary

Great photo! Is that two Bears and two Blackjack interceptions? This would make a nice decal sheet (hint hint).

Ricardo

I agree!!

in 1/72 Please

I am still hoping Two Bobs will down-scale their italian tifoni sheet sometime in the future

crossing fingers Paolo

Great photo! Is that two Bears and two Blackjack interceptions? This would make a nice decal sheet (hint hint).

Ricardo

Twobobs 48-180 EF-2000 Perfect Storm Tiffies has them

48-180B.jpg48-180.jpg

Net Photo

Hi all,

I had a hunt through the pics to see what I'd shot of those jets on the decal sheet. I've pulled together a couple for reference.

ZJ927/AG of 17® squadron in 2007.

IMG_8179.jpg

In 2008 the jet was reassigned to 3(F) Squadron but fell into disuse for a while, then reappeared briefly as ZJ927/QO-M but has now apparently been stored (cannibalized?) again.

IMG_7580.jpg

ZJ910/BV was the first F2, but was not issued to the RAF for quite some time after the other earlier jets (lightning trials or similar I seem to remember). This was taken in 2007 soon after delivery (it's still clean) but before that horrible 'sticker' was put on. Jet is currently back at BAe Warton for block 5 upgrade so will presumably come back with the PIRATE sensor and could possibly be remarked (the other former 29® single-seaters were).

IMG_8144.jpg

ZJ939/DXI was delivered in the block 5/PIRATE configuration, although I noticed a few weeks ago when I photographed it the squadron OC's name has changed. First pic is last year, second was about three weeks ago.

IMG_8797.jpg

IMG_6735-1.jpg

ZJ815/AY was delivered as a T3, with the PIRATE and remains unchanged.

IMG_8871.jpg

Not sure what's happened to T1 ZJ807/BF, I haven't seen it in any pics for a while, it's listed as being at Warton, not on upgrade, but with the 'Saudi Support Unit'. This was late 2007 while with 29® as in the decal sheet.

IMG_0279-1.jpg

Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, if we get some decent days, I should be able to update some pics as I'm on holiday! Hope these shots are some help.

Gary