"Cure" for Airfix/ICM Flankers

Hi,

What exactly is wrong with the Airfix kit? This seems to involve replacing the entire cockpit section, which would probably be a cut and shut job.

The Airfix cockpit opening - and canopy - is considered by some to be too small.

That is why NeOmega only ever made a cockpit set for the Italeri Flanker - although that kit had loads of other errors.

ICM have re-worked the Airfix Su-27, they have made the cockpit bigger and included a bigger canopy (which looks just like the Hasegawa one ??).

I'm not convinced that ICM have got it right.......

The new 'cure' seems to correct the problem.... although why it is for the non-available Airfix kit is a mystery.

So we now have a 'cure' for a re-work. :tumble:

Ken

The correction set will be sold by NeOmega brand.

ICM just replace the cockpit/windshield/canopy by Hasegawa parts

(you can still find the putty looking things on the back of the cockpit,which tells you that ICM use the original Airfix kit modified with Hasegawa parts as the master for their mold tooling,mostly probably in brass mold but not steel ones.)

One big problem exists on ICM Su-27 kit is that the section of the nose cone is not round due to the bad part arrangement of the fuselage.

And also IRST which molded on windshield of Hasegawa ones has the wrong angel.

(It should be parallel to the fuselage in side view.)

My 2 cents,

Yufei

I had thought that the Pavla canopy for the Italeri Flanker was a good substitute. Perhaps I'm wrong?

28hog48.jpg

e9g5j8.jpg

It seems good from the side, although that does not mean much. It was nice to have a canopy that was bigger than the Airfix version, at least.

Pavla Models Vacformed canopy(use the Italeri kit parts as master) is little too big in both width and length.

I intended to use it in my Airfix built last time but found that thing so I have to make the master myself and vacformed a new one.

BTW,great looking Flanker,MiG31.

I love the weathering a lot!

Any more pictures will be welcome!

Yufei

BTW,here is the original thread on Scalemodels.ru forum,showing the problems of the kit and also the developing procedure of the aftermarket goods.

Обзор ICM 1/72 Су-27 (Su-27 Flanker)(#1802)

So the idea is to have a whole new upper forward fuselage, radome and canopy? :)

The cockpit is a no-brainer, as the ICM pit is just that - a pit. :lol: No detail whatsoever.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
So the idea is to have a whole new upper forward fuselage, radome and canopy? :)

The cockpit is a no-brainer, as the ICM pit is just that - a pit. :lol: No detail whatsoever.

Yep!

If you put an accurate sized nosecone on ICM kit,there wil be a big gap between the upper and lower fuselage part,so that's why a new front upper fuselage is need(also in order to affort the new shaped vacformed canopy).

The ICM cockpit is actually the Hasegawa copy,I even used the junk PE parts from Hasegawa Su-27 on it-fit perfectly!

I'm trying to OOB one ICM Su-27 in PLAAF 60th anniversary scheme.

Hope to finish if before our national's day(October 1st).

Cheers,

Yufei

Yufei, I'd be happy to post more, if I can find time and decent sunlight to take photos. :/

The comments regarding ICM's lingering issues make this a/m piece understandable, now, even if it is engineered for the Airfix kit. It looks like the IRST is molded into the windscreen, though, so no offset-IRST variants.

Same issue with the vacform UB canopies... still waiting for a set with the IRST separate.

Same issue with the vacform UB canopies... still waiting for a set with the IRST separate.

As Max(master maker of the correction set) mentioned that in the formal product,there will be 2 vaformed canopies,one with IRST in the center while another with it offset.

So it's possible to convert a Su-27SM or even Su-33.

Cheers,

Yufei

As Max(master maker of the correction set) mentioned that in the formal product,there will be 2 vaformed canopies,one with IRST in the center while another with it offset.

So it's possible to convert a Su-27SM or even Su-33.

Cheers,

Yufei

That is great news. At least we are step closer to have a more available Su-33 convection.

I just got back from Russia and can conform that NeOmega will be releasing three sets for the ICM Su-27 over the next few weeks.

There is the cockpit set and revised nose, of which Flankerman and I were kindly given samples by Mr. NeOmega. Alexey is also working on a full revised resin forward fuselage section, I believe with built-in cockpit. In addition, he has just completed a test run of three-piece burner cans for the ICM kit, which should be available soon.

We have a number of other new Russian product announcements to make. I'll update our Web site in the next couple of days.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com

P.S. for Flankerman. Woke up on Wednesday morning to clear blue skies and blazing sunshine in Moscow. Typical. The Abkazian red wine made it back to NY without breakages. result!

This ICM Su-27 is piece of ****, if you need in start 3 sets for corrections, and some other PE sets???!!!! is this just me or some others have same feeling??

Please trumpeter or someone please do it just right !! ;)

Sorry for my words

This ICM Su-27 is piece of ****, if you need in start 3 sets for corrections, and some other PE sets???!!!! is this just me or some others have same feeling??

I must say you're not very far from the truth, Mario.

I must say you're not very far from the truth, Mario.

This ICM we wait, and they said that it will be best (short run ?) plastic kit of Su-27, but this is nice kit for buying aftermarket sets!! will someone produce whole resin kit of Su-27?? i think that is better way, because this Airfix kit is like gold calf.... I think that Neomega will produce twoseat of front part, and here you go if you want twoseater.... i will not buy this ICM kit, because it is obvius that ICM working with neomega, why they didnt consult those famouse AiV plans before they start production???? those errors are just to obvius.... or is it just me.....

just for example:

I buy Zvezda Mi-26 kit and there is no star that goes on underneath of kit ( on box art star is there!), but guess they are in begemot sheet (Begemot does some decals for Zvezda), but in Revell box there is that star.

Is this just coincidence, or some nice way to rise profits, calculate before production that sets will sell nice , kit will sell nice, and decal sheets will sell nice???

;) :crying2::crying2:

Edited by mario krijan
because it is obvius that ICM working with neomega

This is nonsense, bordering on libel. There is absolutely no connection between the Ukrainian plastic model company ICM and the one-man Russian aftermarket producer NeOmega.

The ICM kit is much cheaper to buy in Russia and Ukraine than in the West. NeOmega are simply offering time-saving correction options. If you don't like the kit or what is on offer to correct its flaws, don't buy the product.

P.S. I just noted your edit regarding Zvezda/Begemot. I'm sure Kotey can set you straight on that. Begemot produces decals for Zvezda. What Zvezda decides to put on its decal sheets is up to Zvezda. Anything else you might surmise is simply baseless rumour.

Edited by Linden Hill

I hope that i have just to much imagination in my head!

Linden hill you are too just seller, you are not buyer like us that save money for kits... will you get all those stuff on your page? ( kit + those correction sets)??? or just from economic point of view is better to sell 2 or 3 sets + kit or just kit?? I am just curious!

Please don't be mad one me, but here on ARC there is hundreds of people that will spent lot of money for correct Su-27, and that is big part of cake! and from seller point of view is better to sell 3 or 4 corrections with kit!

That is my opinion, please guys ignore me if I am wrong.

Or better yet, someone planning to offer an accurate Su-33 (or any of the canarded Flankers) as a stand alone kit. I know they aren't full fledged production jets yet, but there seems to be a lot of demand for these kits....just my minutes worth of rambling....

I don't think you understand my point. If you don't like a kit or the correction sets, it's your absolute right to say so and not buy the product.

What I and other producers such as NeOmega and Begemot would have a problem with is your baseless insinuation that there is somehow collusion between the aftermarket/cottage industry and mass market kit manufacturers to fleece customers out of their hard-earned cash. ICM and Zvezda sell Su-27 and Mi-26 kits in the tens of thousands worldwide. Would you also accuse Zactomodels (sorry to use you as an example, Chris) of being somehow in collusion with Trumpeter for correcting the Flanker kits' flaws in 1/32 scale?

NeOmega make maybe a couple of hundred resin sets for a particular kit. Begemot's print runs are probably maximally 1,000 sheets. Having spent a week in Russia with the gentlemen in question, I can assure you neither NeOmega, nor Begemot, nor Linden Hill is getting rich off this hobby we all enjoy. We are about to invest a significant sum in printing a 1/72 scale version of our 'Ukrainian Flankers' decal set to fit the ICM kit. Should we not bother, because it will cost you more for a decent set of Ukrainian decals?

Yes, Linden Hill is a seller. We've never made a secret of that fact on ARC or any other forum. We also buy and build the kits in question.

NeOmega currently has no plans to produce a Su-33 conversion set for the ICM kit.

Edited by Linden Hill
P.S. for Flankerman. Woke up on Wednesday morning to clear blue skies and blazing sunshine in Moscow. Typical. The Abkazian red wine made it back to NY without breakages. result!

Glad you got back OK Guy...... :thumbsup:

You haven't got two CF cards have you ?? - I'm missing all my pics from Sunday.. :wub:

Is Alexei's Su-27 'conversion' set the same as this guys......

Or are they two separate products ???? :lol:

Ken

PS - Thanks for your company in Moscow - I had a good time.