1/32 Trumpeter A-7E

Well I just finished my first 1/32 build. I really like this scale. My hands are just too big for 1/72, and my eyesight not as good as it was. So 1/48 used to be the best tradeoff between size and shelf space. But I couldn't resist trying 1/32 also. I really enjoyed it, and I have 2 more kits waiting in 1/32. Can't wait for the Trumpy F-14D to be released in 1/32. Hope it outperforms the Tamiya.

Also, this is the first model that was airbrushed, with preshading, future coat, enamel wash and matt finish. The full monty. Worked really well. In some areas it's perhaps a bit too dirty, but after checking several photo's from the period, it made it clear that often they did get this dirty.

With white on the bottom it's really difficult to get an even coat though. And the wash darkens it a lot, so it ends up light grey often. But the overal result is good I think. It really looks and breaths A-7, never mind the flat intake or wrong canopy. Speaking of which, there's a big fingerprint on the clear area of that, from being too careless in handling it with dirty hands.

The surface is a bit rough due to the airbrushing. Either too much PSI, or not properly thinned out the paint. This has been a huge airbrush learning curve for me. When I look at the pictures, and the model on my desk here, I definitely see faults and area's that could need some work. There's still a bit of silvering on the decals. More MicroSol next time, using small cuts in the decals. But still I decided to wrap this one up. Spending too much time on a single subject doesn't do the brain much good.

Mostly Tamiya and Model Master Acrylics, some Tamiya Enamel. The weapons loadout is perhaps to varied, but I wanted to show what the A-7 could carry. Here goes.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

Edited by THX1138

Really super job and very stunning. I really like what you've done with it.

For the silvered decals that you've noted (like the VA-192 one on the exhaust), try making little stabs through the decal with the point of a #11 knife and let some Microsol get in there. I had the same problem with one of my builds and this seemed to get rid of most of the silvering.

Again, great work!

Thanx for all the comments.

@Chuck: I was gonna try the decal-cut + microsol sometime soon.

@lgl007 : The VA-192 markings are from around 1972 aboard the Kitty Hawk, which is included in the box. I liked the Golden Dragons colors on the grey/white navy scheme. Would be so nice if colorfull schemes like this return the current Navy aircraft.

Stunning job all around! You did exceptionally well for your first attempt with an A/B. If you can regulate your pressure, MM acrylic works great straight from the bottle between 8-10 psi.

What is your opinion of the kit?

Rocky

@theseeker

It's the first Trumpeter kit I build. It doesn't come as close to Hasegawa or Tamiya in fitting. But I do think of it as a high quality kit, which considering the price is to be expected. There's a lot of errors in the instructions (like parts/decal no's not matching up), but a if you keep attention you'll spot them soon enough. The drawings in the instructions are high quality CAD (down to the actual panel lines on the parts) which is perhaps a bit overkill but once again nice.

The metal landing struts need a lot of cleaning up excess metal. And the PE parts aren't too exciting. I was unfortunate to have a bend canopy-mirror PE part which I had to skip fitting. The included weapons (which is actually the full US Weapons kit also available seperate) are a very nice bonus. You'll have to check your resources when fitting them to the SLUF. Not every weapon included was SLUF rated.

The panel detail is excellent, but I did do some rescribing due to sanding. The airbrake area needs a lot of work with this. The intake also needs a lot of sanding and filling, which I only did partially.

Then there's the intake shape being wrong. I didn't notice that until I read about it on ARC. I don't think it's that bad actually. I doesn't ruin the character of the model.

The wheel wells are nicely detailed OOB. As so are the avionics bays. I would not get aftermarket avionics bays since they don't look that much more detailed, unless you want the full monty and also add the other details sets which cockpit, ejection seat etc. I like doing things OOB.

So all in all a great kit, but not without flaws. I'm building the Hasegawa A-4 now and boy what a difference. It's nearly flawless. But I wouldn't leave the Trumpy A-7 in the store if you want to build one in 1/32. I think it's great.

• 2 weeks later...

You really make me sick!! I've got the same kit with the Zacto correcton sitting on my building table right now with the first coat of white on it. It's been that way for almost two years now. My wife started Grad school and I thought with her out of the house I would have more time on my hands. Man, was I ever wrong!! With 4 kids and all of their demands, I keep looking at all my kits and wonder if I will EVER be able to get back to them so I can go back to "my happy place".

Congrats on the nice build!