What If : US Navy "F-15N Sea Eagle"

My local club is having a "what if" themenext month so I thought I'd slap something together for it. The thought of the USN flying the F-15 has always intrigued me so I figured I'd try that idea. I used Hasegawa's 1/72 F-15E Strike Eagle kit with a few modifications.

I added the chin pod and nose landing gear from F-14 spares, as well as a "proper" tail hook, and re-configure the gear doors a bit. I then proceeded to clip the wings and add wingtip rails for AIM-9's as well as an additional under-wing missile rail. Next, I added one hard-point on each side of the fuselage for Sparrows, with the Phoenix going under the wing. The total missile count is an impressive:

4 x Sidewinder

4 x Sparrow

2 x Phoenix

I figured the CFT's were a good idea, the more fuel the better at sea and all. I also decided painting it in the gull gray scheme rather than the TPS would look more "Navy specific". The decals were cobbled together from about three different sheets. All in all quite a fun and different build, and a "what-if" first for me.

F-15N-7.jpg

F-15N02.jpg

F-15N03.jpg

F-15N04.jpg

F-15N05.jpg

F-15N06.jpg

F-15N09.jpg

F15N01.jpg

Now all we need is someone from the navy to push this idea XD Best of all, there's already a model depicting the necessary changes and schemes here <_< Great build!!!!

It would be VERY interesting indeed to see an eagle on a carrier

David

Cool build. But thanks God it never happened... ;)

I really like that! It's really believable because the Navy actually thought about putting the F-15 into Navy service.

Very nice job with the paint scheme.

RYAN.

Not really. The USN was ordered by Congress to consider a carrier-based version of the F-15 as an alternative to the Tomcat but the Navy was never enthusiastic about the "Sea Eagle". It would not have been able to carry or launch the Phoenix so it was a non-starter.

Brilliant stuff, looks good with an impressive finish, i had thought about a royal navy f-15 with folded wings and stronger undercart flying off the old ark royal in 1977 etc etc the falkland war would have been so different! ........i just got an F-15c on ebay for three quid(english pounds!)...(about five dollars or so?) with no decals and was deciding what to do next...i guess navy f-15 is out of the window........

Keep on building, this one is top ten.