Academy F-15I

Here ya go- they are th 'looking glass' symbols beneith the main pic

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en_US/prod/46502.html

Weapons.....

Here is the interesting thing - the weapons. Ok I see Popeyes, Python 4s, GBU-15s but here are a few things that stand out - two data link pods? Neither of which was in the earlier releases (IIRC they were on the sprues with the SLAM-ERs)....GRU-39 SDBs (in the 'redded out areas'). Also is the rail below the Python the same type as a Python 3 would use on a F-15? In the reddd out area is that an Israeli ECM pod on the lower right corner (Ebit I think?)

To bad there was no head on pic to see if the Python rails inboard are canted down. I don't think I've seen them mounted on a Baz or Ra'am yet (aka I don't have the Ra'am book yet.... and I think the Baz one was before the Python 4 was out - or declassified)

F-15Iweapons.jpg

Belly view

F-15Ibelly.jpg

Three quarters aft

F-15Ithreequarterstop.jpg

Right side

F-15Iside.jpg

Okay the pics may not be the best - the side one looks 'squashed' to me.

Also for the debates...discussions....fights.....fueds whatever you want to call them regarding the accuracy issues (or lack there of) go and search out the earlier discussions on the F-15E and F-15K from a few months ago

Happy Modeling

Matt

The curved rail was only for P3, because of the large tail fins. P4 uses a straight adapter on both Baz and Ra'am. The pod with both ends pointed is for the GBU-15. The pod with one flat end is used for Popeye.

Looking at photos in the Ra'am book, no missiles are mounted on the side rails of the wing pylon when Popeyes are mounted under the pylons due to interference with the AGM-142's wings. The fact that they can fit on the Academy kit might indicate some issue with the kit parts if they are able to fit.

Armament for a Popeye equipped Ra'am is Popeyes under the wings, data link pod on the right bottom aft CFT station and two AIM-120s on the left bottom CFT stations.

The Israeli ECM pod you are probably thinking of is the ELTA 8222 pod, although I'm not sure they are carried on the Ra'am since they have internal ECM. I've only seen the pod on Baz.

Edited by Dave Williams

So Dave does that look like a curved rail ala a Python 3 then? I'd do another Baz if I can use them either from Skunk Models or swipped from my JF-17 or J-10 kits (also known as a PL-8)

Okay what is the weapon above the GBU-15?.

I am surprised that this sprue wasn't in the F-15E one to get the Small Diameter Bombs.

Also good to see the 'black out' slime lights. I saw a pic of them on a Sufa and wondered what was wrong until I figured they were low light compatable with the NVGs

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts
I think it's the "rocket booster" of a AGM-130 to modify the GBU-15.

Interesting, first time in plastic for that one also. Something to hang from a HB Aardvark.

Funny how not too long ago we were worrying about not getting the data link pods in the Skunk Models set now you might get 5 of em in this release, if the original one on the SLAM Eagle sprue is still there and what I presume would be this sprue doubled in the Ra'am kit.

What is the differant AMRAAM variant? considering there are ones on the other sprues in the F-15K and F-15E releases?

Matt

I wonder if that is a Python 4 or a Python 5? On Wiki the differance is that the strakes from the aft wings look less tapered than a P4 based upon the admittedly cruddy resolution of the pictures.

There is a picture of a P5 here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(missile)

Not saying 100% but just seems possible.

Matt

OB KB - Here we go!

ACA12217E.jpg

I'm going to hit on a few things that have been mentioned by a few people, my apologies if I don't give credit to you, no slight is intended

#1 - More AMRAAMs? If the kit includes all weapons sprues from the K and the OIF E kits, that already 6, all of them Bs it would seem. Now I don't think this kit will include the JDAM/GBU-12 weapons sprue from the E kit as the Israeli's as far as I know do not use the GBU-31(V)3/B with the BLU-109 penetrator warheads. They do use the GB-31(V)1/Bs found on the massive F-15K weapons sprue. Still not sure why you would want 6 AMRAAMs though. Loss of the Sidewinders is no big deal. This "version" does look odd but that may be just the extreme barrel distortion I'm seeing in the photo

#2 - The "Mystery Rail" I'm with Dave on this being the shorter adapter but also with the Rafael designed rail for the Python series. You can see in the pix at the top and bottom here the clipped and chiseled front end. If this is the rail on the sprue, then this is great as no one makes this rail and you need it more for the Python III than the 4 since the 4 can go on any Sidewinder capable LAU. Still it would be nice if they did a curved adapter for the BAZ.

#3 - Missile is Python 4 and is just fine as the 5 is thought not to be in service, not even with the IDF/AF. It seems from the poor quality pic that it will have a "glass nose" of clear styrene.

#4 - This data link pod is the AN/ASW-55 pod, not the AQX-14 as is popularly thought and even sold as such in the SkunkWorks Models set. Still, from the detail I've seen on the SkunkWorks offering, I'll forgive them. The Academy offering is only two pieces and may suffer a bit in the cooling grill area which is separate in the SKM kit. The top photo on the left side shows it mounted on an Aussie Aardvark. This is the pod offered in the IsraCast Delilah and Popeye sets

#5 - This is the AN/AQX-14 data link and the one offered in the IsraCast GBU-15 sets - The bottom photo on the left shows it loaded on an early US F-111 - BTW the graphic at the bottom right is taken from the F-15K instructions as they goofed and added the wrong pod in the painting and decal directions. Now looking at having three different pods with these releases, I can see how they got confused.

#6 - The Elta 8212/8222 - good for all your Israeli F-15s though more for BAZ and even Aggressor F-15s - Yahoo!

#7 - Is that a LITENING pod? Sure looks like it, but I didn't think they were on the Ra'am - I of course could be wrong.

As to why the SDBs were not included in the OIF F-15E release, I can only assume its because the decals were for the initial 2001 operations PLUS now you're gonna wanna buy this one just to get them!

As far as the loadout goes, you can load the weapons as they are shown, though it would be a pain in the rear and you'll probably break something and can not be flown and launched in this configuration. Just a way to make the model look cool. Those that don't know any better can build it like this and it will look impressive, especially to their aviation ignorant friends. To the educated, they'll build it as it is operationally, it will still look impressive, even to their aviation ignorant friends - in the end, everyone is happy (mentally insert engine nacelle complaints and jokes now)

There's more than a couple of resin kit makers that are going ot be upset when this hits the streets. For your Uber-detail freaks, they will always the way to go, but for me, give me styrene

Personally, I cannot wait until we get good pix of the sprues (again this shot is distorted and too small for any real detail) and at least a diagram, such as Academy put on their site, of all that is included in the kit. I'm excited. Now if Academy puts all these extra weapons as a stand alone set, they'll make a killing.

Hey Lego - Wanna go in on a couple?

Edited by Fuji

Yep thats it.

The ecm is the fairing under the WSO seat. Do you do that bit?

Also looking at my other Academy Strike Eagles - I would imagine the F-15E specific sprue (M) will be left out of this release and replaced with a pair of the IDF sprues above. The F-15K specific sprue (K) with the SLAM-ER and other doodads has other parts needed for the kit such as the ejector seats, landing gear bits and antennas.

Sprueology of the Academy Strike Eagle

A - Upper and lower fuselage, vertical fins and 'fighter main gear doors' (non-bulged) this sprue has been updatedfrom original release with gear doors

B - Nose, Horizontal stabilizers, intake bits, speed brake and main gear doors.

B(*) - Nose, Horizontal stabilizers, intake bits, speed brake and main gear doors. In current F-15E release has engine faces that SLAM Eagle doesn't

C - Wings and Inlets

C (*)- Wings Inlets and Sniper pod pylon (C9/10) in current OIF F-15E release only

D - intake trunking, cockpit, landing gear bits, 'old' (original issue) instrument panels - in the original C/D boxing cockpit and fuselage bits for single seater on this sprue

E - Air to Air missiles (Sparrows and AIM-9L), pylons, wheels, seats, engine bits from original release (not included in current boxings)

F - CFTs and 'vent' at the rear of the CFT on fuselage in current boxing

F(*)- CFTs, targeting pods, ASAT and CFT pylons from original kit (not in current boxing)

G - Two seater canopy - has been revised from original issue to include targeting pod clear parts - no Sniper 'glass' in SLAM Eagle sprue

H - 'lowered' intakes and turkey featherless exhausts (in original and new boxings of F-15E only)

H(*) - Lowered intakes only - found in SLAM Eagle release - exhaust bits removed

I - weaponry from original Strike Eagle release - Rockeyes, Mk 82, 500lb Paveway I and drop tanks (x2) - not in current issue

J - CFT and underwing pylons, instrument panels, data link pod, targeting pods and airframe details - in current issues

K - weaponry - JDAM, SLAM-ER, GBU-38s, AIM-9X, AIM-120C, engine details, wheels, antennas and ejection seats for- current issue (x2)

L - CFT pylons for USAF Strike Eagle - only in current OIF F-15E release

M - weaponry - GBU-12, penetrator JDAM, AIM-9M, AIM-120B and Sniper pod only - in current OIF F-15E release

N - PROBABLY the Israeli sprue (x2) - Popeye, Python 4, GBU-15/AGM-130, Data Link pods for both GBU-15 and Popeye, GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs, F-15I exhaust, Lightening Targeting pod, Israeli ELTA ecm pod (Baz and USAF Aggressor fighters only), Python rails and a few other bits

O - IF we get a fighter upgrade kit in 2010 this may be the sprue we get - though Sprue K has 4 AIM-9x and 4 AIM-120C when doubled as the current issues have, they may only need to have the complete Sprue D with the single seater parts and a single seater canopy. It seems that we have have most of the bits to do an MSIP upgrade Eagle on sprues J and L. I hope we get CFT missile rails so I can FINALLY finish my Tunis Raid Baz!

Happy Modeling

Matt

Could the `AMRAAM variant` be Israeli Derby missile?

Difficult to tell.

Cheers, Ian

This is Derby

612.jpg

Looks like a Sidewinder on steroids and it would be nice if it was included, but since its not used operationally on any F-15, I doubt you'll see Academy put it in any boxing of the Eagle.

I think Academy would do well to institute the same pattern they have established with the Strike Eagle kits on their Fighter Eagle series. They could also have a field day with F-15A-Ds for USAF/ANG, Israel, Japan, and Saudi Arabia.

And just on the off chance that someone at Academy or MRC is reading this

Here's what you'll need and what it would take for Academy to do for a proper Israeli Baz - single or family model

Python IIIs - NEW TOOL

Python III Adapter and rail - NEW TOOL

Centerline Recce Pod - NEW TOOL

CFTs with AIM Rails - MODIFICATION NEW TOOL

Python 4s DONE

Python 4 rails and adapters - DONE

AMRAAMs - DONE

AIM-7 Sparrows - DONE

GBU-31(V)1/B - DONE

GBU-32 - DONE (F-22 kit)

Popeye - DONE

AN/ASW-55 - DONE

GBU-15 - Done

AN/AXQ-14 - DONE

ELTA 8212/8222 - DONE

I've also been told the BAZ carries the ALQ-131 on the centerline at times and am unsure if Academy makes one or not

The Baz scored a handful of kills with AIM-9G/Hs in 1979/80 and the AIM-9M is not often seen carried, though it does happen, so the omission of AIM-9s of any type would be no great thing.

Ref pix

detail of starboard wing pylon with Python 4 adapter & standard LAU, Python 3 on adapter and standard LAU, and a GBU-32

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eggshelluk/3603372862/

Baz with Python 3s and JDAMS

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel---Ai...-15C/1521651/L/

Baz with Popeye, Python 3 & 4 and ASW-55

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel---Ai...-15D/1521650/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel---Ai...-15D/1525399/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel---Ai...-15D/1525398/L/

Baz with Python 3s and 6 GP bombs on a MER - not sure how feasible this is

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Israel---Ai...-15A/1229260/L/

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6257303&nseq=6

Baz with Python 3s and 4s and AMRAAMS on the aft CFT rails

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6260958&nseq=5

Baz with Python 4, Sparrows and centerline recce pod

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xnir/30333635...57622492107686/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xnir/15517989...57622492107686/

Nice list

It was a BIG disappointment when Skunkmodels put out their 2nd Israeli weapons kit with only 2 Python 3's, and no real way of using them on an F-15 because they didn't include the curved pylon. I wanted to use them on a Hasegawa F-15 I plan to build as an Israeli bird, but unless I splurge for the Paragon resin items, its not happenin'.

Nice list

It was a BIG disappointment when Skunkmodels put out their 2nd Israeli weapons kit with only 2 Python 3's, and no real way of using them on an F-15 because they didn't include the curved pylon. I wanted to use them on a Hasegawa F-15 I plan to build as an Israeli bird, but unless I splurge for the Paragon resin items, its not happenin'.

Well you have to see it from their point of view, they mainly were looking for it as accessories for the Kinetic kits. They also didn't have the rail adapter for the Python 4 but no one screamed. And considering that the Pythons can also be used on the F-5 and Mirage F1s, I didn't worry too much.

Well you have to see it from their point of view, they mainly were looking for it as accessories for the Kinetic kits. They also didn't have the rail adapter for the Python 4 but no one screamed. And considering that the Pythons can also be used on the F-5 and Mirage F1s, I didn't worry too much.

I wasn't screaming really.I'm not sure most people are aware of the necessity of any rail adapter for the P4, since it can be hung on any pylon capable of carrying the Sidewinder in most cases. I know I wasn't aware of it. True on the F-5 and F1, but I think the most common mount for it has been the F-15, and perhaps Kfir.

Edited by JasonB