Some Pics from Army Flight Test...

As some of you on the board know, I spent the first part of my career (1982-1996) as a Flight Test Engineer with the Army's Aviation Engineering Flight Activity (later the Airworthiness Qualification Test Directorate at Edwards AFB. I've been recently scanning some images for Ray ("Rotorwash") and thought you all might like to see some. I've decided to post them here so the real 'rotorhead' see them and they don't get lost in the "Research" board. On to the photos!

Photo7.jpg

JUH-1H s/n 70-16318 with JU-21A s/n 66-18008, Duluth MN, 1984. 318 was a dedicated icing research airframe. Had an AC electrical system (the main generator was replaced by an alternator, it had provisions for ice detectors and had fully heated, glass windshields). 318 was testing a pneumatic boot deicer system (like on a fixed-wing). The JU-21A carried cloud-calibration equipment above the cockpit that measured cloud liquid water content and particle size using forward scattering laser spectrometers.

Photo8.jpg

Artificial icing testing, Duluth, 1984. The Chinook is JCH-47C s/n 68-15814, the original Helicopter Icing Spray System (HISS). The HISS carried a 1500-gallon water tank (an old fuel tank from a KC-97 tanker), and used a second APU mounted in the fuselage to pump and atomize the water through a series of nozzles mounted on the extendable trapeze assembly under the fuselage. The JU-21A is measuring the spray cloud characteristics, while JUH-1H 70-16318 waits to enter the cloud for testing.

Photo11.jpg

UH-1H s/n 69-15532, Edwards, 1995, in Border Patrol colors. For many years, JUH-1H 532 was our instrumented test Huey. After the Army decided to retire the Huey, there was no longer a need to retain a dedicated, instrumented test Huey. 532 was de-instrumented and used as a chase aircraft for a period. I preparation for the Comanche program, the Aviation Systems Command (AVSCOM) wanted to get some experience with the T800 engine. AVSCOM had 5 T800-LH-800 pre-production engines. Three Hueys (including 532) were modified with the T800 engines and loaned to the Border Patrol for a 2-year evaluation period. 532 originally carried a red/white high-viz scheme (with nose art).

Photo51.jpg

JUH-1H (Hind-D Surrogate) s/n 69-15617, Edwards, 1985. First Hind-D Surrogate for the National Training Center at Ft. Irwin. We called it the “B-Hindâ€. Used the old SS-11 anti-tank missile launchers to simulate the stubwings, which carried the “Flashweiss†(a strobe light that simulated cannon fire) and the “Smokeweiss†(a smoke generator that simulated the helicopter smoking after being shot down when the sensors on the MILES belts detected a laser hit). There were 5 other aircraft converted.

Photo16.jpg

UH-1H 70-16331, Edwards, 1996. Demonstrating emergency floatation system inflation. An ERA Aviation Bell 212 system (to include 212 high gear) was adapted to the 205 for the H-models flying at Kwajalein. 331 was an ex-Flatiron Huey with provisions to carry the Bell light-water fire suppression kit (we had 3 of these airframes)

Photo4.jpg

JAH-64A s/n 84-24256 (PV116), Edwards 1991. Conducting asymmetric stores jettison testing during the qualification of what we called the “Desert Storm†asymmetrical external stores configuration. This configuration (8 Hellfire, 1 230-gallon tank, one M261 rocket pod) was used by the Apaches that attacked the Iraqi radar sites during the opening night of Desert Storm.

Photo33.jpg

JOH-58C LCH (OH-58X Surrogate), s/n 70-15349, 1985. This is a real oddball. I apologize for the quality of this pics, as they are from some rather coarse halftones from my flight test report. This fiasco came out of the Army’s High Technology Light Division experiment in the 1980’s. You might remember them as the guys with the Chenoweth off-road dune buggies with TOW missiles and recoilless rifles on them. The 9th ID at Ft. Lewis was one of the two HTLD’s and wanted a light attack helicopter that was air transportable in a C-130. They wanted 500MD’s like Task Force 160, but DA wouldn’t let them procure any. They got a hold of a ‘58C LCH (“AH-58Câ€) airframe (a 160th reject) and put a commercial FLIR and a Ferranti Direct Vision Optic (DVO) (like on the French Gazelle anti-tank helos) on it. The DVO had a laser designator, so they could fire Hellfires (like a ‘58C could lift a Hellfire...). It also had a SFENA SCAS in it. Their plan was to install the entire dynamic system (engine, rotor, etc) from the OH-58D in it. This probably would have made a pretty spiffy little machine (a lot like the Saudi 406CS). It never came to pass, and it had a regular 58C dynamic system installed. It was heavy as all get out (2600 lb empty) and with two crew and an hours worth of fuel it was at max gross, never mind any weapons. It was a real pig, and it was pretty clear that it wasn’t going to be able to perform the mission in that configuration. It was finally killed as the AHIP PM saw this as a direct threat to his program, so he made damn sure the 9th ID wasn’t going to get any 58D dynamic components, dooming the project. We later stripped all the extraneous equipment of the aircraft and used it in an evaluation of the SFENA SCAS’s contribution to the never-ending OH-58 LTE saga.

Photo37.jpg

OH-58D(I), s/n 89-0308, Yuma Proving Grounds (YPG), 1991. This was initial testing of the Improved (armed) configuration of the OH-58D. This aircraft was instrumented and operated by Bell, having come right off the production line at Amarillo. There was a second 58D(I) used for the evaluation (s/n 88-0083), also with a “patchwork†paint scheme, although it had more CARC green and less chromate.

Photo27.jpg

“AH-6N†s/n 81-23650, Edwards, 1992. I've posted this aircraft before. One of two Little Birds converted to NOTAR. Had handling qualities and performance issues and was rejected by 160th . 650 converted to AH-6J and later to MH-6M MELB prototype. Crashed by McDonnell-Douglas test pilot while performing height-velocity testing at Alamosa, CO.

Most of these are my personal photos, so please contact me before posting them anywhere else.

Photo37.jpg

OH-58D(I), s/n 89-0308, Yuma Proving Grounds (YPG), 1991. This was initial testing of the Improved (armed) configuration of the OH-58D. This aircraft was instrumented and operated by Bell, having come right off the production line at Amarillo. There was a second 58D(I) used for the evaluation (s/n 88-0083), also with a “patchwork†paint scheme, although it had more CARC green and less chromate.

What a great looking aircraft. I love it.

Floyd

Matt,

Those are GREAT! Any idea what LACT (OH-58C test program) and EPR (OH-58D test program) stand for? Also, how would you feel about making thsi a dedicated test aircraft thread? I have some pretty interesting stuff here as well. Of course, I don't have your first hand knowledge of the tests!

Ray

Photo37.jpg

I'm curious about if it's an (I) why it has the old cowl system, and Amarillo? We picked all our factory new (I) model aircraft at Fort Worth.

Just wondering.

Scott

Matt, thanks for posting those photos. The images and the story behind each photo are fascinating. Have you ever considered publishing a small photo book of your photos? I'd buy it! If you can post a few more of these photos, please do. They will inspire quite a few models.

LD.

I'm curious about if it's an (I) why it has the old cowl system, and Amarillo? We picked all our factory new (I) model aircraft at Fort Worth.

Just wondering.

Scott

The (I) (Improved) designator first came about when the aircraft received armament provisions directly from the production line (post- "Prime Chance"). I believe 88-0083 and 89-0308 were the first 2 D's so equipped

The revised forward-facing inlet didn't come about until after the compressor stall issues came to light when the Army standardized on the same rocket motor for the 2.75 FFAR as the Marines. This motor burned hotter and "dirtier" than the old motor. The gas ingestion problems first surfaced on Cobras (after one crashed when torque reversals broke the tail rotor driveshaft) , and led to the "elephant ear" inlets. Problems were then noted on 58D's, which led to development of the forward-inlet cowl. This would have been around '93 or so.

The Bell mod center was in Amarillo in the late '80's. This is where all the Cobra an '58 remanufacturing was done. Bell later moved all military work to Ft. Worth when they started moving the commercial production to Montreal.

Edited by EDWMatt
Matt,

Those are GREAT! Any idea what LACT (OH-58C test program) and EPR (OH-58D test program) stand for? Also, how would you feel about making thsi a dedicated test aircraft thread? I have some pretty interesting stuff here as well. Of course, I don't have your first hand knowledge of the tests!

Ray

Ray,

Neither of those sound immediately familiar to me. If you know what those acronyms stand for, that might help me. Army Aviation testing used to be (and to a certain extent still is) pretty decentralized and compartmentalized, so it's possible those projects could have been performed by AATD, ADTA or the old pre-ATTC Test Board. Our primary function was airworthiness, so if there wasn't perceived to be an airworthiness impact to a mod, we probably didn't look at it.

I think making this a test aircraft thread would be great! I know you've got some great stuff in your collection!

What a great looking aircraft. I love it.

Floyd

Thanks, Floyd. I've done this bird in 1/72 and am now working on it (slowly) in 1/35. Wish I'd known you were writing your Walkaround book beforehand, as I would have sent you this pic to include.

Ray,

Neither of those sound immediately familiar to me. If you know what those acronyms stand for, that might help me. Army Aviation testing used to be (and to a certain extent still is) pretty decentralized and compartmentalized, so it's possible those projects could have been performed by AATD, ADTA or the old pre-ATTC Test Board. Our primary function was airworthiness, so if there wasn't perceived to be an airworthiness impact to a mod, we probably didn't look at it.

I think making this a test aircraft thread would be great! I know you've got some great stuff in your collection!

Matt,

Alas, I have no idea what the acronyms mean. EPR is associated with the AHIP program in 84 and LACT with the OH-58C in 82. I think these mat be ADTA negs, but I'm not sure.

Ray

Matt,

Alas, I have no idea what the acronyms mean. EPR is associated with the AHIP program in 84 and LACT with the OH-58C in 82. I think these mat be ADTA negs, but I'm not sure.

Ray

Ray, if that's ADTA stuff, I suspect LACT might be a low-airspeed indicating system test. They were always messing around with those. It also might be related to the OH-58 tailboom strake tests (to try to solve the ever-present LTE problem...), although 1982 seems a little early for the strakes. Alas, EPR remains a mystery...

Matt,

Ray

Hi guys,

That Ray, is one of the JOH-58s we had initially with the original six AH-6C's. My flight records called it an OH-8. Probably because nobody knew what to call this ungainly thing.

GT

Hi guys,

That Ray, is one of the JOH-58s we had initially with the original six AH-6C's. My flight records called it an OH-8. Probably because nobody knew what to call this ungainly thing.

GT

Very interesting, GT

At AEFA, "OH-8" was the designation used for the initial armed civilian 500D we evaluated that was one of your original Little Birds. That would have been 1982 or so. As I recall, the one we tested was painted a sand color, and the true purpose of the project was classified for several years. We also used a "JOH-6A" designator for the first test AH-6C we had.

The (I) (Improved) designator first came about when the aircraft received armament provisions directly from the production line (post- "Prime Chance"). I believe 88-0083 and 89-0308 were the first 2 D's so equipped

The revised forward-facing inlet didn't come about until after the compressor stall issues came to light when the Army standardized on the same rocket motor for the 2.75 FFAR as the Marines. This motor burned hotter and "dirtier" than the old motor. The gas ingestion problems first surfaced on Cobras (after one crashed when torque reversals broke the tail rotor driveshaft) , and led to the "elephant ear" inlets. Problems were then noted on 58D's, which led to development of the forward-inlet cowl. This would have been around '93 or so.

The Bell mod center was in Amarillo in the late '80's. This is where all the Cobra an '58 remanufacturing was done. Bell later moved all military work to Ft. Worth when they started moving the commercial production to Montreal.

Matt,

Thanks for the info on the (I) mod 58. I guess my understanding of when they where first produced was a little off. I did not see my first (I) until 1994 at Ft. Drum and they all had the new forward cowl. We picked them all up factory new that year from Ft. Worth. It was my first time to the factory, and what I cool thing to actually see them built. The Snakes where OK too, just in the wrong color.

Thanks again.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

I thought I'd continue this great thread with a couple of shots. Any idea what equipment is on the UH-60? The UH-60 pic is from 1988 and I assume the 4 bladed AH-1E is from the same time period. Both pics are from Army Aviation Test Board negatives.

Ray

4%20bladed%20AH-1E-2%20small.jpg

UH-60-2-1988%20small.jpg

Edited by rotorwash
Photo37.jpg

Do you have any more pictures of this aircraft? I feel a modeling project coming on...

Oh god, the 249! :salute:

Agreed 100%. Simply don't see enough of that Cobra. I look at my SS #168 all the time just to look at that ship.

I have been whiffing a -F kit as a whif of what "could be" if another attack helo was needed on "the cheap" by using an existing airframe with an upgraded dynamic system. I mean, we have a bunch of Cobras just sitting around. New engine, rotor system, and some new electronics would do wonders I would think, but that is why it is a Whif....

My ultimate plan, however, is to get the Belcher Bits 412 conversion, and they chop the top off of a Fujimi AH-1S TOW Cobra kit. It has the proper exhaust to make the 249, all I would have to do is swap the cannon out for a Revell cannon since the Fujimi's is covered like the Marines use. I am not much for scratchbuilding because I haven't built up the confidence for it yet. Someday maybe. For now, I will go with the resin conversion lol.

Ray! Put some more 249 pics up somewhere! (without totally hijacking someones thread)

Also Ray, what is hanging from the 'Hawk? My eyes are seeing things that I don't want to type, so if you know that would be great.

Brandon

Matt,

I thought I'd continue this great thread with a couple of shots. Any idea what equipment is on the UH-60? The UH-60 pic is from 1988 and I assume the 4 bladed AH-1E is from the same time period. Both pics are from Army Aviation Test Board negatives.

Ray

4%20bladed%20AH-1E-2%20small.jpg

UH-60-2-1988%20small.jpg

Ray,

Interesting Blackhawk. Looks like maybe some sort of ASE test, or perhaps a threat simulator. The two inboard stores are ECM pods (the one on the left is an ALQ-167 "Bullwinkle", and the one on the right resembles an early ALQ-119, which we used to carry on F-16's). The outboard boxes I believe are flare dispensers.

The Cobra is, of course, (correctly identified by Whiskey) the Model 249. Basically a Prod S with the rotor from a 412 (with clipped blades). Bell private venture for a Cobra upgrade. Army didn't bite. The 249 was circa 1982-83. I remember this aircraft at the Bell Arlington flight test facility when I was there in 1984. The Hellfire installation was a dummy - it had no systems installed to actually fire them. We flew a similar Hellfire installation on an S(MC) Cobra at Edwards in the 80's to characterize the aerodynamics.

Edited by EDWMatt
Ray,

Interesting Blackhawk. Looks like maybe some sort of ASE test, or perhaps a threat simulator. The two inboard stores are ECM pods (the one on the left is an ALQ-167 "Bullwinkle", and the one on the right resembles an early ALQ-119, which we used to carry on F-16's). The outboard boxes I believe are flare dispensers.

The Cobra is, of course, (correctly identified by Whiskey) the Model 249. Basically a Prod S with the rotor from a 412 (with clipped blades). Bell private venture for a Cobra upgrade. Army didn't bite. The 249 was circa 1982-83. I remember this aircraft at the Bell Arlington flight test facility when I was there in 1984. The Hellfire installation was a dummy - it had no systems installed to actually fire them. We flew a similar Hellfire installation on an S(MC) Cobra at Edwards in the 80's to characterize the aerodynamics.

Matt,

Thanks for the info. I would have assumed the Cobra had to start as an AH-1E as the Prod S has the old M28 turret. I got pics of AH-64's with the same setup as the UH-60 and I'll post those later.

Brandon,

Matt gave me his blessings to post test birds in his thread so I am assuming it is still alright (please speak up Matt if it's not!). With that in mind, here's you another 249 pic and a 4 bladed AH-1W.

Ray

PICT8429.JPG

PICT8424.JPG

Edited by rotorwash

Matt, that is awesome info. I was thinking the same thing about the stores on that Blackhawk pic, but I didn't want to sound crazy or stupid in saying that...lol. Glad you jumped on that grenade for me, now I know my eyes weren't decieving me.

I didn't have the slightest clue about the outboard stores though. Thanks, as always, for posting all this info.

Ray, I am a dummy. It was late when I posted and I was frazzled at dealing with getting my laptop running again. Got a trojan on it last weekend while outta town, took days to get it even running again. Still fixing stuff, but it is running.....

If I ask for more 249 pics, and say pretty pretty please, will more appear??????? Pretty pretty please!