Su-24 'Fencer C' Loadouts

I have a copy of the Italeri/Dragon Fencer C which, whilst not the greatest kit going around as I'm sure most of you know, is still the most readily available (by which I mean almost the only) version of the Fencer C going around. With some modifications and some work from what I've seen it still builds into a decent representation of the 'suitcase'. Yes, it's no Streem kit, but not all of us can afford such extravagence, especially given shipping costs to Australia. This is sort of a practice build, before I attempt to do a similar update to a Revell/Dragon/Zvevda Su-24M 'Fencer D'.

So, I have some questions in regards to loadouts that were carried on the earlier Su-24 as pictures of the Fencer with a full warload seem to be few and far between (atleast in my experience).

As the only Soviet armament I currently have are the ones which come in box (which are actually prretty generous, one sprue of the Dragon USSR Rockets & Bombs set) I need to try and build up a mean looking bird with what I have. a picture of the sprue is below:

3654228539_d994a3ffff_o.jpg

The kit also contains an extra 2 large bombs, 2 AAM's (Aphids?) and 2 ginormous fuel tanks.

What I was thinking of doing for a loadout is below, what I need to know is if it is possible, or even carried. (The below picture is from an excellent Streem build I followed on this site, and I apologise for blatently stealing the image in order to illustrate what I am trying to convey.)

Su-24PossibleLoadout.jpg

So, would a loadout like this be possible? Are there better/more realistic combinations I could portray with the weapons provided by the kit? (I would do two MER's fully loaded under the wings, but the kit only comes with options for one).

Does anyone have any refernce pics, or prehaps know of a site where I can find some?

Cheers in advance,

Plak.

P.S. I apologise for my poor knowledge in terms of weapon names, but have only commited U.S. weapons to memory so far.

I really can't comment on the accuracy of your weapon configuration, but I don't see any bigger obstacles for it. Why not?

There are a lot of good (mostly Russian) walkarounds, but most of them depict planes without weapons. You know these? http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_339.html

http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/index.htm

Foxbat.ru has had more photos of operational machines and loadouts. Here's an example: http://www.foxbat.ru/maks/baltimor2005/baltimor2005_01.htm Not the best example (and not very operational) and it seems one of the better ones has a dead link. Shame.

I've deleted all the best links I used when making my kit, but I remember one of them was a Russian site dedicated solely for Fencer, which had excellent photos. It probably had Su-24 in its name as well, albeit in cyrillics. Anyone else remembers?

You might wanna do a Google search with a word "Су-24". The best photos are on the Russian sites.

Everyone can use my modeling related photos freely if it's for the help of fellow modelers! So you're welcome! :jaw-dropping:

To add just a bit info to Vautours diagram: "ФАБ-500" (FAB-500) would be the "large bomb" encircled in yellow in your posting of Janmans build, while "ФАБ-250"/"OФАБ-250" are the MER-mounted smaller bombs.

HTH,

Andre

Thanks for the help guys. Found a few reference pics, but navigating in Cyrillic is more frustrating than envisioned, so wasn't able to find that Russian site solely dedicated to the Fencer. With what I did find, I noticed that they do like to pose their Su-24's as clean birds, don't they?

Will probably load her up for an Afghani bombing run, or just pack her to the brim with whatever combo looks nastiest. Cheers anyway.

• 5 months later...

Hello.I was wondering something.Could this 2 large 250 KG(i think they are betab 250 like shown on the upper pic?) bombs on the centerline be positioned one in front of another?Also did the Su-24 carried the fantasmagoria system?

thanks.

Edited by dragan_mig31