i have just seen this thread. so my general impression so far is :coolio:

not only because of the great results your making in the bug so far, also for the determination of sending the first one to tha trash and start all over right away.

well i think the original was looking great, and i almost cry when i saw its end :doh: (i've been looking for those VFA-41 decals for about 3 years, and you just got rid of them :lol: thanks to god i was able to get a sheet a couple of weeks ago).

the work done on the panel lines is great, pretty real, and the subtle weathering so far on the new bug is great, pretty convincing, i really like the new scheme too.

all my enthusiasm to finsih this great work my friend.

regards from chile

Thank you Icarus! BlackAce, I just came to add an update and saw your comments, I very much appreciate it. I hope I can finish it without any accidents.

I just applied a wash. Getting the wash color right was a challenge. In my past attempt, I though the wash way too dark. In this one, I tried many shades and finally settled on the color below. The wash at the bottom of the plane is a bit lighter. I think overall the wash is still too dark and does not look realistic in a number of places. However, I am ok for the most part (at least I won't trash this one :thumbsup: )

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

:whistle: :wacko:

I'm very very very impressed and agree with the comment of BlackAce.

I love the wash on the belly panels, i think is the right tone for this kind of operation, neither too dark nor too light.

I look forward to seeing the finished model my friend.

:blink: Gianni

Thank you very much everybody for your comments! I just applied the flat (mixed with semi-gloss) coat and attached all the extras. I was afraid of the canopy but it turned out ok. That was a big relief.

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4151.JPG

I have still not made the seats yet. I just don't have the right paints to do brush painting I think, I always manage to screw things up. I also cannot do scratch built seat buckles / belts well at all. Maybe I will just do something and live with it. Hopefully the next pics will be the completed model.

Beautiful! :)

Why not invest in an Eduard set with belts and buckles? :yahoo: Not realy much to brush paint other than details on the seats, make it easy on your self and shoot the cushions first and then you simply mask them off and shoot the black for the seats, then there´s only the detail painting left :doh:

You can always pop in the pilots as well to cover the lack of belts :D

Cheers!

Thank you all for your comments. For the first time, I tried to mask the wheels using parafilm and it worked better than my previous methods. The lip around the rim makes it easy to cut the film cleanly. The tires are MM aircraft interior black. Perhaps the tires need further weathering but I don't know how to do that (i.e., weathering modern jet tires).

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

One of the downers for this build were the nozzles. I don't think they blend nicely into the exhaust ring. They are pushed all the way and glued in (rather weakly). Is there a way that I can make the gap disappear without repainting or puttying? I was thinking to fill the gap with Micro Cristal Klear glue (as it dries clear) but I am not sure if that will solve the problem. Your ideas are definitely welcome. This is a good lesson for the future.

IMG_4159.JPG

Finally, I gave the aires seats a try. It was ok I think.

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

All in all, I have been enjoying this build a lot. I am now eager to get the canopy on and finish it!

Edited by Janissary

Finally, it's finished!

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

And together with the old one...

IMG_4169.JPG

I will post some studio pics soon in the critique corner.

Thanks everybody for bearing with me and lots of great suggestions. Overall, I am quite happy with the result. Letting go of the original VF-41 attempt and starting this one new gave me some pain but I am satisfied for the most part at the end.

Edited by Janissary

It looks perfect! You be my teacher soon :-)))

But I have some remarks.... pistons of main gear isn´t silver?

And I miss some panel lines on electronic bay on right side....

And miss wash in some panel lines (electronic bay on left side...)

Its details... but...

Finaly is this one of best superbugs I ever seen... (top 3)

Edited by Honza K.

Thank you Honza! I always try to learn new techniques and I learn so much from your builds. Many of the things I did here I tried to mimic your techniques. So a big thank you!

You are correct about all the issues you raised. I hope to create a set of images showing all the other issues I see with the result.

You may find the final pictures at: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=216202

I can finally move onto something else ;)

Edited by Janissary

:jaw-dropping: Burak, WELL DONE SIR!!!!! I like it alot, the color and markings came out great. One thing you mmight consider....

look at the following pictures, notice that the front ring of the exhaust is a different color, and it also looks like theres a gap between the two

pieces.....

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/...-18C/1775315/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Australia--...-18B/1773373/L/

and one more for good luck...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/...-18B/1759922/L/

Once again this is no KNOCK on your work, its BEAUTIFUL!!! I love it!!

Jack aka BUGFAN

ps.... JETHRO looks good, but hes missing his feet, LOLOLOL!!!

Edited by Bugfan