So I've been talking about this project for about two weeks now and my kit finally arrived yesterday. I've built a lot of complex and large kits in my day, but this one ranks up there with some of the more complex. 3 pages of instructions just on weapons LOL :(

I have a few after market parts on the way, but none have arrived yet so I'm poking around at things I can actually work on. Unfortunately I have really bad luck ordering items like this online. It can take months for some of my orders to show up at my door.

Some of the parts I've ordered are;

•G-Factor Landing Gear GFM32008

•DMold DM32002 F/A-18 Hornet Intakes

•Black Box BBXCS32018 Exhaust Nozzles

•1:32 Aires Wheel Bay Set (ACA kit) #2038

•EDUARD - MODEL ACCESSORIES "Big Ed" F-18C kit (comes with cockpit details, exterior details, meshes, etc...)

Normally I start with the cockpit but as I'm waiting on parts I thought I'd start with some other areas. One of the most common adjustments needed for this kit to convert from a F-18C to a CF-188 is the tail surfaces. The F-18C has four antenna on the tail. The CF-188 has only three so I chopped off the one that wasn't needed.

Then I realized that one of the remainder antenna was in the wrong place. The kit has the bump molded under the anti collision light. Where this image shows it in line with the light.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1..._Bamford/04.jpg

I was going to leave it, but then I woke up early this morning and it was still bugging me that it was in the wrong place so I chopped that off too.

Here's the tail with all the bumps removed.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt75/da...88/Imgp0171.jpg

I also noticed that the stiffeners were a different shape so I rebuilt all the stiffeners and antenna for the tail out of 1/2 rod and sprue.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt75/da...88/Imgp0172.jpg

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt75/da...88/Imgp0173.jpg

Sorry for the quality of these images. My camera is really bad. The macro focus doesn't work well and it seems to take forever to take the shot, which means it sometimes comes out blurry. I'm going to try and improve that.

Anyway... step 1 out of about 3567 is complete.

I'll post updates to this thread as I go.

Thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan

Looks like your off to a good start. Its a great kit, and a lot of fun to build. Watch the fit of the kit parts and you should be fine.

Are yo doing a standard paint scheme or one of the special schemes. If I do another one Id like to do the 2003 East Coast Demo.

Looks like your off to a good start. Its a great kit, and a lot of fun to build. Watch the fit of the kit parts and you should be fine.

Are yo doing a standard paint scheme or one of the special schemes. If I do another one Id like to do the 2003 East Coast Demo.

The tail isn't specific to a CF-188 you just need a tail from an A Hornet. There are all sorts of resin ones available. :blink:
The tail isn't specific to a CF-188 you just need a tail from an A Hornet. There are all sorts of resin ones available. :moai:

I have a couple of resin parts coming, but modifying the tails was pretty simple. Not something you need to spend money on.

I'm likely to end up doing a standard scheme. The ceremonial RCAF 75th Anniversary bird is what I really wanted to do, but can't find 1:32 decals for it. They're in all other scales but the big one.

I do have some Arrow Graphics 1:32 scale markings for a Gulf War hornet (188734) but those decals seem a little rough. Even in 1:32 they're not as sharp and well defined as I expected. I'm not at a point yet where I need to pick an airframe or era although, all the reference material I have seems to be really old. An airshow magazine from 1986 LOL...

I'm using the web now to get some more up to date references. Some photos I've found on the web have the IFF antenna on the nose which seems pretty recent.

I'll figure it out. But if anyone has any good walk around photos of a specific airframe, I'd love to see them (Yes, I've looked at the ones on ARC).

thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan

Hi David,

Welcome aboard! I responded to your other question within my CF-18B build thread.

For most aircraft pics, I use Prime Portal a lot. There's lots of pics here under "CF-18"...

http://www.primeportal.net/the_airstrip.htm

I recommend you find a specific aircraft serial number and try to replicate it from pics. Many CF-18's have been modified with the antennas you refer to, but many have not and they all have subtle differences, including paint schemes. Time periods are important as well, since all of the above may have changed (and often has).

One other caution, is that a lot of the Eduard F-18C details you ordered are not correct for Canuck F-18's, so be careful. Also, make sure you flip the shocks on the landing gear with the piston down instead of up. It's one of the first thing CF-18 builders look for to see if the build is "correct".

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3
One other caution, is that a lot of the Eduard F-18C details you ordered are not correct for Canuck F-18's, so be careful. Also, make sure you flip the shocks on the landing gear with the piston down instead of up. It's one of the first thing CF-18 builders look for to see if the build is "correct".

Chuck

Hi there.

Thanks. I knew about the flipped shocks so that's not a worry. I'm surprised by the comment about the Eduard details though. They're the same set that others are using to build their 188's (I think you're using some yourself?). Certainly the photo etched meshes are going to be common. The cockpit is going to be the kit cockpit with some Eduard photo etched enhancements and placards. I've also ordered a resin ejection seat (Resin SJU-5/6 Ejection Seat for early F-18 F/A-18 Hornet #R32012) which I've been told is closer than the kit seats. Although the kits comes with two complete sets of two different styles of seat so I may have ordered something redundant.

Much (if not most) of my build research seems to have been done for me (by you!) and I'm using your thread;

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=196766 as a source for a lot of information.

The 'picking' of an airframe is going to be tough I think because all my resource information is for either the B version or they're a mish-mash of various numbers over various years. I hope the Abbotsford Airshow has a Hornet static ground display. That would allow me to get a "whole wack!" of photos for one aircraft (granted those are normally pretty clean and I like weathered models). If I could find some good photos of one Gulf War airframe used during the war, I'd go with that, but they seem hard to come by.

Eventually I hope this thread moves forward with more actual build posts.

thanks

Edited by RiderFan
Much (if not most) of my build research seems to have been done for me (by you!) and I'm using your thread;

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=196766 as a source for a lot of information.

As long as you realize the kit and instructions are for an F-18C or D model and you make adjustments for an A or B, you'll be fine. The A/B details like correct instrument panel, lower front vent panels, antennae and other bits are all there, but you need to find them because they aren't listed in the instructions. If you haven't found it already, another great source of CF-18 info is right here at ARC by Steve Bamford....

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...ford/tnt100.htm

As long as you realize the kit and instructions are for an F-18C or D model and you make adjustments for an A or B, you'll be fine. The A/B details like correct instrument panel, lower front vent panels, antennae and other bits are all there, but you need to find them because they aren't listed in the instructions. If you haven't found it already, another great source of CF-18 info is right here at ARC by Steve Bamford....

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...ford/tnt100.htm

Hi there.

Yeah, fully understood buying the kit that it's going to need work. I don't think I've ever purchased a model kit that I didn't have to modify or otherwise correct in some way shape or form. The kit does note a few Canadian options (there's a panel there for the ID light). But yeah, I've already gone through and marked up the instructions for other areas of Canadianization.

Where I run foul is when there's an instruction on a message board or some other location that says something like "The ECA134 antenna needs to be removed"...okay great. I have no idea what an ECA134 is (I made that name up for sake of example) and without a picture I get a bit lost. So the pictures in your post, and in walk arounds like you've also pointed out, that point to exactly the bump that needs to be removed or moved are much better help.

When doing my voodoo's I relied pretty heavily on Detail and Scale publications. Unfortunately the only Detail and Scale I have for the F18 seems pretty out of date now. I have a couple of books from Squadron on the F18 but there are some factual problems in them and they're also out of date.

I'm sure I'll dig up something.

thanks

Hurray for me!

A couple of packages arrived today. The postal system is funny. I ordered a package from Eduard directly from his online store and they were shipped out from the Czech Republic. 10 days prior I ordered a package from Texas. They both arrived today. Weird but typical of my luck with online purchasing.

Anway, I should be able to do some posts of actual building now... :)

I have mixed feelings about the Eduard photo etch sets for this project.

They arrived last night in a nice big box. The cardboard envelope contains about 12 plastic packages with photo etch parts for;

-Remove before flight tags.

-Cockpit panels.

-Cockpit details such as pedals, electronic boxes, levers, etc..

-Cockpit canopy details such as handles, mirrors, placards, etc…

-Aircraft exterior placards for use on landing gear, bay doors, access panels, etc…

-Some replacement meshes for the boundary layers near the intakes, vents near the exhausts, and under the nose.

-Painting masks for the canopy.

-Ejection seat handles, belts, placards, and other minor details.

-Exhaust details.

-And a variety of other little bits and bobs.

The quality of the etching is excellent. I’d love to know how they manage to etch parts this tiny. I’ve done my own etches for ship radars, space ship parts, etc.. but my results are nowhere near this good.

It’s the coloured parts that could have been better. The painting of the Eduard IP dials could have been better served as a decal. The painted controls don’t seem defined enough. I’m also not convinced these panels needed to be layered. If anything it makes these panels a bit thick. A single etched panel with a decal would have worked just as well if not better. Also, Eduard supplies only part of the panels for Canadian birds. There are two blank panels on the IP’s of CF188’s and the Eduard kit only supplies an option for one blank panel. So the other one I had to leave off and paint the details on the plastic part.

The other disappointment are the Eduard meshes for the vents just forwards of the front landing gear well. The Academy kit supplies two parts; E14 and B16. They’re the same part save for different vent styles (noted in the instructions as making the airframe accurate for supplied paint schemes). B16 is correct for Canadian Hornets so it’s a must use here. Unfortunately, the Eduard photo etch set doesn’t come with a replacement mesh for part B16, only E14. This is a bit frustrating because that was specifically one of the areas I wanted to replace with photo etched parts. I’ve contacted Eduard to ask them if they have this specific mesh in another package but so far no reply.

There are numerous placards provided in the set that could more effectively been supplied as high resolution decals rather than photo etched parts with unreadable text painted on them.

I’m going to have a variety of seats to choose from. The kit comes with two complete sets of two different seat styles. Plus I have a resin seat ordered. The resin seat is apparently closer to what the CAF uses and comes with belts already molded in. So I don’t know how much service the Eduard parts are going to be. If I choose to go with the kit seats I don’t know if I’ll be able to duplicate a Canadian style seat.

I’m also in a bit of a quandary about my exhausts. I have a resin set of late exhausts on order but the photo etched parts combined with the kit parts make for a very well detailed and, as near as I can tell, accurate representation. It also gives the advantage of going with early or late style exhaust cones. This decision rests with the bird I end up building and at this point I’m still trying to find decals. Leading Edge doesn’t have any of the sets I’m looking for and I don’t know if $60 for CanMilAir decals is worth it but I have to pick an airframe soon…and it has to be one I can get enough research material on. I do have some older Arrow Graphics decals but they look pretty rough.

In hind sight I’m not sure how much value the Eduard package is bringing to the project. I’m sure I’ll do another of these kits and I may just forgo the photo etched parts save for maybe the canopy details.

Edited by RiderFan
One other caution, is that a lot of the Eduard F-18C details you ordered are not correct for Canuck F-18's, so be careful.

As I mentioned above, the Eduard sets are for F-18C/D's not A/B's. If you're making a "C", they work great. If you're making an "A", you can only use some of the parts.

Here's my suggestion which is true of ALL Eduard photo-etched parts: Just use the parts that really help and leave out the ones that don't or are too difficult to assemble. A good example of this is the Lex fences of the Eduard kit that are nice and thin- and very fragile. The kit parts are thicker, but so are the real deal, so why bother with photo-etch ones? I've used extensive Eduard parts for a 1/32 F-14, F-16, F-18 and an F-4, but I've only used about 2/3's of the parts. I also use the left-overs on future models as replacements for stuff I need to scratch-build, so they don't go to waste. So use what you can or want to and leave the rest.

As for a part B16 replacement, why not cut out the plastic mesh of B16 and use the E14 Eduard mesh as a backing?

Okay finally, some pictures.

Last night was a lot of work on the cockpit tub.

Imgp0174.jpg

Imgp0176.jpg

I think it turned out okay. Not perfect. There are some things I'd do differently if given the chance. I'll likely go back at it with a fine brush and touch it up here and there. There are some details that don't seem to match photos I've seen. Granted, all my cockpit photos are coming from various websites and I have no background as to the airframe those pictures are of. So could be different times in the aircraft's history.

Never the less, I think it turned out okay. I used the Eduard parts for some panels and painted others. As the aircraft is going to be completely powered down, I coloured the CRT's with a black felt marker. The photo etched parts are tricky to get right and I think the CA glue I'm using (zap) is too thin.

Also today the wheel wells arrived in the mail so I spent tonight carefully cutting out the molded bays. You'll be happy to know I managed to do that and I still have all 10 fingers... which is saying something. I don't think I've built a model that didn't take its quota of flesh LOL...

Imgp0182.jpg

Imgp0183.jpg

IMGP0184.jpg

I think I got a little bit lucky with these. While the forward bay is a little shorter, it doesn't seem to be as drastically short as other's seem to have been left with.

Imgp0177.jpg

Imgp0178.jpg

Imgp0179.jpg

So these have been sanded, and generally cleaned up and given their first coat of white. I also did some test fitting of the forward bay, kit cockpit, and kit forward fuselage sections and everything seems to fit pretty well. I have to say I'm very happy with the Aires bays. The detail is exceptional. Very cleanly done. And while the kit bays are probably the best I've seen in an off the shelf kit, the after market bays do really add that extra 'umph'.

So far, so good I think.

[edit..inline images are easier]

thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan

Well more boxes of bits arrived today. It's a little bit like Christmas everyday :) This time the G-Factor landing gear. Unfortunately, as is my luck with mail order, I seem to be missing a tree of parts from the package.

Imgp0185.jpg

Based on images from others, I seem to be missing one of the tree's. I emailed G-Factor about it. Maybe that's just the way they're sold now. I'm sure I could use the kit parts but if I paid full price I should get all the parts. Well anyway.

I'm still on the hunt for really good reference images. Preferably of one bird. So if anyone wants to flood my in box with images, please shoot me an email or PM.

thanks

I’m still trying to find decals. Leading Edge doesn’t have any of the sets I’m looking for and I don’t know if $60 for CanMilAir decals is worth it but I have to pick an airframe soon…and it has to be one I can get enough research material on. I do have some older Arrow Graphics decals but they look pretty rough.

As far as CanMilAir are concerned it really comes down to the price and if you are willing to pay for a subject that isn't made in the main stream AM market. Bill's decals are done on an ALPS printer which does cost much more to produce. The flip side is that the decals are thinner and once complete have that painted on look. As to Bill's quality I would not worry It is good (there are some limitations to the ALPS) and his customer service is top notch! If you have problems or if you need help, Bill will help.

Believe me I know about those obscure schemes that no one will touch........ One that pops to mind is the 441 Checker Hornet. Bill helped me with that one.

:thumbsup:

Emil

As far as CanMilAir are concerned it really comes down to the price and if you are willing to pay for a subject that isn't made in the main stream AM market. Bill's decals are done on an ALPS printer which does cost much more to produce. The flip side is that the decals are thinner and once complete have that painted on look. As to Bill's quality I would not worry It is good (there are some limitations to the ALPS) and his customer service is top notch! If you have problems or if you need help, Bill will help.

Believe me I know about those obscure schemes that no one will touch........ One that pops to mind is the 441 Checker Hornet. Bill helped me with that one.

:thumbsup:

Emil

Here is what Elmo is talking about. I did this one a couple years ago with Elmos help.

DSC_0081.jpg

Im not sure why you chose 188746 as your subject, but since you asked for some photos, here you go

while with 433 Sqn, note assymetric load,

2005-05-20YOD0159.jpg

same aircraft with 409 Sqn, a few years later

2007-06-08YOD0016.jpg

another with 433, carrying the Nighthawk pod

2005-05-20YOD0382.jpg

and last year, with 409

2007-06-15YOD0022.jpg

2007-06-15YOD0024.jpg

this isnt 746, but shows weathering typical for an airframe with the same amount of wear

2010-05-260154.jpg

Things to watch for are the demarcation line on the aft end, some aircraft have the separation between the two greys starting at the forward edge of the rudder, and others have it at the trailing edge. Most repainted aircraft will have the separation line painted while the horizontal stabilizer is "drooped".

Around the nose, the demarcation may follow a line from a point where the wing leading edge extension meets the fuselage, to the gun blast difuser. others will drop down to follow the top edge of the nose formation lighting strip. In other words, whatever specific airframe you use as a prototype, study your pictures carefully before painting.

Note there seems to be two different styles of false canopy, seemingly dependent on where the aircraft was painted.

here are a few photos showing some of the variations

2010-05-03124.jpg

2009-07-18YPE24.jpg

2009-05-26-YOD0090.jpg

2009-05-26-YOD0069.jpg

Have fun, always love to watch these builds

Edited by ian_maw

Hi.

Thanks for the Pictures!!

I picked 746 for no other reason than it was the only one I had more than one photo of. I was able to find a reasonable set of walk around images on the web giving me details on panel doors, antenna configurations, placard placements, etc...

It also happened to be stationed at Cold Lake. My family was stationed there for a few years, granted Voodoo's were state of the art at the time, so there's a bit of a connection there. It's also one of the few airframes I can confirm to have the IFF antenna on the nose, which is a detail I'd like to add to mine.

Really though, I'd just like a whack of photos of one airframe that were all taken around the same time in its life.

For the sake of colour to an otherwise grey model, I'd thought about using blue (inert) Sidewinder missiles on the wing tip rails. I've yet to find a good source image for those missles though. I can't even seem to confirm if the CAF uses those. I find images like your's where it has something on the wing tip, but with no fins I don't know what it is.

Edited by RiderFan
For the sake of colour to an otherwise grey model, I'd thought about using blue (inert) Sidewinder missiles on the wing tip rails. I've yet to find a good source image for those missles though. I can't even seem to confirm if the CAF uses those. I find images like your's where it has something on the wing tip, but with no fins I don't know what it is.

If you mean this, it is a Aim-9 Captive Air training Missile (CATM)

Wings and fins removed since they were an uneccessary cause of excessive wear to the round, and the launcher. Also, The safe-arm T-handle has been removed, though there is usually still a red white and green decal there.

They used to be the same FS 35109 blue as the inert bomb shown in the picture, but they have been painted grey for about 10 years now.

It is relatively easy to turn the kit Sidewinder into one of these, especially since Academy copied an inert missile right down to the metal plug at the rear of the rocket motor. If you want a live missile, you will have to get rid of that thing that looks like it has a big screwdriver slot!

On the opposite wing is the instrumentation pod, I would suggest

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navcl...&q=acmi+pod for more on those

425CATM.jpg

Thanks for the information and further pics. If anyone has any more please feel free to PM me or send me an email. I'm really trying to get as many close up detail shots as possible.

I have made some progress, mostly with detail photo etched parts.

I'm using hte DMolds intake correction set. The boundary layer detail is pretty good but can be improved further with photo etched parts. So here they are after I shaved about 0.05mm off and glued in the brass parts.

Imgp0186.jpg

I also opened the vents (actually I'm not really sure what they are) near the aft end of both the upper and lower fuselage and inserted the photo etched parts.

Imgp0187.jpg

As you can see this was a little rough. The CA glue I was using was way too thin for this sort of work. It ran into the etched holes and cloged up some of the mesh and I've tried to scrape it out the best I can. I've since purchased a medium thickness CA (ZAP) and that seems to work better.

I've also removed the bumps from the forward fuselage. Part B16 also needs to be modifed by I'm finding conflicting details on what needs to be done there.

Imgp0188.jpg

And finally taking a step back, the previous images of my removed main landing gear bays were not very good images so here's a more clear one showing them removed and the area cleaned up. I slipped once causing a deep scratch which had to be filled.

Imgp0189.jpg

thanks

David

Edited by RiderFan

So I have some time off and have been able to spend a little bit of time on this project. And I'm still getting goodies in the mail. Today my resin ejection seat arrived. It's the CAM 1:32 SJU-5/6 seat for Early Hornets (R32-012)

So far I've had mixed results with ordering parts. The DMold intakes were great. The Aries wheel bays were very good. But I've been disappointed in the others. Even my G-Factor wheels are missing parts and I've not had any reply from G-Factor about that. And so it goes with the seat.

What I received was broken (the two little tabs on the front were snapped off). Easily repaired but still frustrating to receive broken parts.

But then I compared the quality of the detail to the kit part and really the resin part looks like a bit of a blobby mess.

Imgp0197.jpg

Imgp0196.jpg

The resin seat really doesn't look anything like the images of the seat allegedly in Canadian aircraft;

http://www.seatejectcolor.com/seat/sedili/...ju/images/5.htm

So I'm rethinking my seat. At this point I'm looking at making heavy modifications to the kit seat, which seems like it's a good base to build on.

I miss the days when I modelled Canadian warships and I could just go to work to get reference material LOL :deadhorse1: Finding accurate images of just the seat from all sides is proving harder to find than quality images of a single airframe from all angles.

Edited by RiderFan

Some progress on the reworked seat.

I've taken the kit seat and stripped off some of the details.

I've removed all the seat cushions, the seat belts and head rest straps. I've also sanded down and filled the head rest so now it's a smooth part. The straps will be added later.

Imgp0198.jpg

Now I've started adding back the seat cushions. Had I paid attention to the instructions, I would have noted that there was a kit part for the cushion but oh well. I made my own. I had to rework the existing parts to make the layers match my reference material. I also added a really thin styrene strip around the kit cushion to emulate a the seam line.

Imgp0199.jpg

I've also added some detail bits from the parts bin and will add some wires for hoses etc...

It's a bit hard to tell in this image, but there are little indents and rivet heads on the side of the head rest.

The next step is the parachute details. I'm not going to bother with the lower back detail (bottom of the rails) as there's simply no way that is going to be visible from inside the cockpit. I may add the rocket packs under the seat though just because.

Imgp0200.jpg

I'm basing this off a couple of different reference images (including a couple from the Martin Baker website) so if anyone has any comments on accuracy, please let me know. I'm contemplating making a mold of this for casting a duplicate for my other 1:32 CF18 (sitting in my stash). I'll have to hold off on the wires until after the mold is made.

So some good progress of various things today.

My attempt to create a rubber mold of my ejection seat was a dismal failure and the seat was lost in a semi gelatinous pile of glop. I guess I didn't quite get that 10-100 mixture correct. Thankfully the kit comes with two seats so I simply redid the other seat with the same changes. Now that I know what I'm doing with the seat mods, I won't bother to make a cast for the next build. I can pretty much just build the new seat in an hour's worth of work now.

Anyway, painted the bays last night. The bays were painted according to a mix of the instructions and various reference images. Quality images of the main bays seems harder to come by than than forward one, but I managed. There's what looks like a dump hose or something in one of the bays. I'm not sure if Canadian Hornets have it, but I've included it anyway. you'll notice a couple of placards in the main bays. I have conflicting details on those too. I have a couple of images from an old Squadron book on the Hornet that shows similar placards. I can't really tell if Canadian ones have them. They're easily removed if need be, but I think they spice up the joint a bit.

IMGP0204.jpg

IMGP0203.jpg

IMGP0202.jpg

I installed them today and they went in a bit rough. Lots of clean up work needed.

Imgp0207.jpg

Imgp0206.jpg

Then came the intakes. Earlier I fixed the Eduard photo etched meshes to the intakes and today I mounted them to the white scoops. Learning from others on the board, I strayed from the instructions here and installed the side walls next before fitting the intakes.

During my dry fitting of the sidewalls, I noted that the joint at the back is pretty flimsy so I reinforced it with some styrene sheet scrap.

Imgp0205.jpg

Here the sides are fitted and the intakes are just sitting on top. They need to be painted and dipped before building into the lower half of the fuselage. That's a project for tomorrow.

I'm pretty happy with the Eduard meshes here.

Imgp0211.jpg

Imgp0210.jpg

Anyway, so that's last night and today. I still have the call out for any reference images anyone may have. I'm currently looking for A bird cockpit photos, specifically around the canopy actuator jack and the cable details around the Hell Hole. I'm trying to figure out how the Edward mesh is supposed to be used here. It's not clear really. Do I cut out the kit cover and use the mesh? Does the mesh lay on top? The Eduard mesh isn't even the same shape so I don't know how this works. Can I assume the kit part is incorrect? The Eduard instructions also call for the replacement of kit cables with real wire (a neat extra detail), but they don't tell you were the other ends are supposed to go.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

David

Edited by RiderFan

Oh.. and not really related at all to this topic but I scored a 1:32 Mongram F4E for dirt cheap! Outside of a couple of parts cut from the trees, everything was there and it hadn't been started. I got a good deal for such a large bird. I'd like to do Major Parviz Jafari's Iranian F4 from 1976. I'll probably have to do my own decals for it if I can find specifics on his particular aircraft. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled build.