AZ Model 72nd Martlet I / G-36

I'm seeing it available online, but no pictures of the sprues. I was wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to open the box? Does it look accurate? Given they capture adequately the differences between the G-36 and Mk I; especially as compared to the Hasegawa F4F?

TIA,

Tim

My AZ MArtlet I kit arrived today. The key thing for me was if AZ just copied the F4F-3, copied the Sword FM-2, or did a correct nose for the Martlet I.

Digression here - the F4F-3, -4, and FM-1 were all powered by a 14 cylinder PW radial engine. The G-36A (original export version), Martlet I, Martlet IV and FM-2/WIldcat VI were powered by a 9 cylinder Wright radial with a larger diameter than the PW engine. This means the nose geometry differed significantly between the PW and Wright powered versions, especially since the overall lenght stayed the same. This means that the the PW examples have a longer cowl with more taper and a shorter fuselage between the leading edge of the wing and rear of the cowl and the Wright versions had a longer fuselage and a shorter, straighter cowl.

Measurements posted by Bruce Archer on Hyperscale, based on actual measurements of the Martlet I in the FAA Museum show it to have a fuselage length of 22" from wing leading edge to cowl.

I am glad to report that AZ did in fact provide a correct fuselage/cowl for a Martlet I. Using dividers and a scale rule, the kit distance equates to a little over 21" and the apparent difference can be written off as my rule not being able to show increments of 1-2 inches in 1/72 scale. For comparison, the Sword FM-2, also Wright Cyclone powered, has a distance of 12 scale inches which is short even for the PW powered versions (14"), not the actual 17 inches as measured on the Planes of Fame FM-2.

Back to the AZ kit, other than the different front end, it measures well with the Hasegawa F4F-4 kit. There is a better cockpit than the Haegawa kit, very fine engraved panel lines, resin engine and markings for three aircraft although no details are provided for those. The yellow and red especially used in roundel colors look too bright to me however.

Edited by Chuck1945

I think you've oversimplified a little, which may confuse some. I'm sure you know this, but...

The early Cyclone variants (Martlet Mk.I/IV) had a different cowl to the later FM-2/Wildcat Mk.VI. It is short and straight, as you describe, much like similar cowls on DC-2 and DC-3 airliners. The later cowl is tapered and looks much more like the P&W cowl, hence the residual confusion - but for the differences noted.

I must admit expecting AZ (or anyone else, really) to get the Mk.I correct, but their Mk.VI will be more of a challenge. Particularly as they are reboxing other Sword kits.

I think you've oversimplified a little, which may confuse some. I'm sure you know this, but...

True enough. For me, the key factor in looking the Martlet I was whether or not AZ got the forward fuselage/cowl relationship at least close, hence my concentration on that aspect of the kit. The AZ offering does also feature the more widely spaced wing machine guns, not the closer together arrangement featured on the -3 and later FM-1 and FM-2.

I must also admit that the FM-2 has more appeal to me than the Martlet I. However, I wanted to get this kit to have a Martlet I and as a potential indicator of what AZ might do with the FM-2l.

Edited by Chuck1945
The G-36 is to be available in a separate boxing. I've no idea how it may differ from the Mk.I boxing, if at all.

The Martlet instructions cover both the Martlet and G-36A, and indicating the G-36A has the nose machine guns originally designed for the prototype Wildcat - I suspect the G-36A/Martlet I kits are like the AZ Spitfire I/IIA/PRI kits, same plastic and basic instructions, just different detail parts and decals.

• 1 month later...

I've bought the G-36, and would agree that it appears to have the same plastic, and indeed what I assume to be effectively an identical instruction sheet.

One question I have is about the wing: it comes with the 4 guns. I assume this is correct for the Mk.IIIs ex-Greek order? This will need modifying for earlier aircraft by removing the outer access panel and cartridge exit detail.

I'm pretty sure the camouflage for the Greek aircraft is wrong: these were overall light grey, no?

The delievery scheme for the Greek aircraft was overall Non-Specular Light Grey. These were F4F-3A aircraft, equipped with P&W R1830 twin row radials. As essentially standard production F4F-3s, the gun arrangement would have been similar to USN Wildcats, with the outboard gun much further inboard then represented on the AZ kit. No intake on top of the cowl either.

Ooohh... I was enticed in the shop by Greek equals 805 Sq Middle Stone Martlets, and consulting the usually completely reliable Sturtivant where the Mk.IIIs are defined as having Cyclones. No doubt had he included a picture of one he'd have realised. I was delaying rummaging through the references but had I just looked once.... I suspect I'd have bought the other boxing had I known I would require an FAA aircraft. Can you recommend a few references on early FAA Martlets? I probably have them somewhere, but a short cut to finding them would help save me some time

An Aeronavale '41 option remains, but the roundels have an offset yellow ring. (As do almost every mass-produced decal sheet - why won't they do what Hasegawa did and print the yellow separately?) This always shows up badly when, as in this case, the outer ring is thinner than the others.

Detail & Scale is ok, not a lot on Martlets per se, and their FM-2 drawings look suspect to me.

The best "thumbnail" Martlet reference I have is an article Bruce Archer did on Hyperscle. I saved it as a pdf file (will send it via PM if the system will permit). Unfortunately the Hyperscale search function and I speak different language so I can't give a direct link.

Chuck

Now I've checked, my instruction pages are for the G-36/Martlet Mk.1 option. I wonder if there is a G-36A sheet?

To add: additional work is needed to make the rear of the engine cowling more distinct, and not just another panel line. Also the rear fuselage vertical joins are prominent on the Mk.Is, given any horizontal lighting, and would have been better tooled as raised lines. Is this a difference in production standards between early and late Wildcats?

OK, comment withdrawn, just a couple of photos with extreme lighting conditions showing up the rear-facing lap joints.

Edited by agboak

As I understand it from reading Barrett Tillman's Wildcat book, the G-36 was Grumman's in-house designation for the Wildcat. The Wildcat prototypes had PW engines but when France placed the initial order, only the Wright engine was cleared for export and it became the G-36A.

You are correct, AZ should have recalled the Matchbox engraver for that rear cowl demarkation. :P No clue on production standards, but I doubt if there was a change.