Tamiya Silver...

Hey guys,

Will be finishing the Tamiya bubble P-47 in NMF, with black/white checked cowl & full invasion stripes. Should be a nice study in black/white/silver. (Hopefully) :D

What's the deal on the Tamiya silver in the spray can? I picked some up, but have heard some rumors about it. Do I shake 'n spray as usual or skeet some in an airbrush bottle and apply it that way?

Help! :angry:

Happy modeling,

Jim ;)

Hey Jim,

I'm just finishing my P-47 using Tam AS-12. I have a B&W photo on the In Progress form. I feeling daring enough now to put up a color shot.

Oh yeah, I did like the silver AS-12. Top notch!!

Full throttle,

Wally

Forgot - Thanks MadMike!!!

Edited by Wally

Jim

I assume you are talking AS-12 BMF?

I use this paint exclusively for BMF work. Warm the can up in a container of warm water for 5 mins, give the can a good shake until the ball bearing rattles well and apply in this mist coats. You will only need a couple of coats spaced 15 mins apart.

It will go on a dark metallic gret but will lighten as it cures to a lovely metallic silver, just perfect for a BMF finish. After leaving it to dry for a couple of days you can mask over it no worries. Very durable stuff!

You can use the other can shades (Silver leaf, gloss aluminium and gunmetal) to give panels a different shade or rub graphite powder in to darken panels. Recommended!

You can also spray this over Tamiya primer as well.

HTH

:angry:

MikeJ

1:72 Dragon MiG-15Bis using Tamiya AS-12

mig15-01.jpg

Hasegawa 1:72 F-86D Sabre Dog

f86d-01.jpg

Hey Jim,

I'm just finishing my P-47 using Tam AS-12. I have a B&W photo on the In Progress form. I feeling daring enough now to put up a color shot.

Oh yeah, I did like the silver AS-12. Top notch!!

Full throttle,

Wally

Forgot - Thanks MadMike!!!

Not a problem Wally

That Jug looks very good indeed!!

MikeJ

I have found that Future does not detract from the metal look and decals adhere well with no silvering.

Both the models in the pics above have had a thin brush painted coat of Future to seal everything in.

HTH

MikeJ

Hi Jim;

Like Wally and Mike, I use Tamiya sprays for my BMF. I like to use a combo of AS-12, Silver Leaf, and Gloss Aluminum. I also like to spray it over a primer of Tamiya Gloss Black, I find that it makes it more "metal like", in my opinion. When you use Alclad, they tell you for the more shiny metals, to use a gloss black primer first, to "capture the light". I think you can achieve just as fine a finish with the Tamiya sprays (straight from the can) as you can with the alclads. Here are a couple of my P-47, identical to Wally's.

HTH,

:thumbsup:

Jamie

Hey Jamie,

Thanks for the further info! :P Paint time is still a few weeks away, but don't like waiting until the last minute (for anything).

Great looking T'bolts! :thumbsup: Hope mine turns out as well.

Happy modeling,

Jim :)