LF: 5th FIS F-15 pictures

I don't know about you guys, but this has to be about one of the toughest units to find info on. DoD and Air Force image databases have have nothing that I can find relating to the unit and the F-15. Sure, they only flew them for 4-5 years, but the same can be said for several other units that do have images that I can find in the databases. I've scoured government websites, airliners.net, airfighters.com, pbase.com, flickr, photobucket, etc.

First off, I have all of ikar's slides that he posted and they are FANTASTIC. What I'm looking for is any others, or any full resolution shots of the pictures below. They have to exist somewhere, because the other FIS units that converted to the F-15s have the exact same sets of images in full resolution. Most of the images that I find are of the Duxford bird, which is nice but not what I'm looking for.

59_0006_06large.jpg

f15bear_01large.jpg

59_0006_07large.jpg

List of buno's if that helps:

48-17instr.jpg

Hopefully someone out there has a treasure trove.

Edited by HoveringCheesecake

I remember taking those pic's for the Bare Metal Decals with Ikar. We had alot of fun in the beautiful North Dakota weather.

The 5 FIS has got to be the least photographed squadron in the USAF. There are very few pic's of our F15's and F106's. Ikar probably has the best collection. I spent 7 wonderful years at Minot.

Mike

Edited by Recon
I remember taking those pic's for the Bare Metal Decals with Ikar. We had alot of fun in the beautiful North Dakota weather.

The 5 FIS has got to be the least photographed squadron in the USAF. There are very few pic's of our F15's and F106's. Ikar probably has the best collection. I spent 7 wonderful years at Minot.

Mike

The above pictures are yours? I can remove them from the post if they are.

And yeah, his pictures are fantastic. They definitely seem to be the least photographed unit - and I can't find a single picture of their F-15s on government websites. I can for the 318th and others no problem. Danget.

• 3 months later...

I just found the photos of the 5th FIS F-15 leading an F-106 and a T-33 on your forum. I've been looking for that photo for years, since I was flying the F-15 in the photo on a flight from Minot AFB, ND down to Mt Rushmore in South Dakota on 30 March 1985. I was also flying the F-15 in the third photo breaking away from the F-106. The photos were taken by Darrell Kenney, a T-33 pilot who later was killed in an F-15 accident in Alaska. I've never seen the photos before, thanks!

76-012 was the F-15 I picked for myself at Minot, it was my fourth personal Eagle, previously "owning" 79-029 at the 32 TFS at Soesterberg, then 76-045 and 83-012 at Eglin AFB, FL.

Here's a photo taken while I was leading a 4-ship over the North Dakota countryside: http://flightlog.seven-alpha.com/imageviewer/f15/f1512.html

If anyone knows where those originals from our 1985 three-ship flight are, I would appreciate a contact name/e-mail.

Thanks,

Stan Kasprzyk

"Sundance"

Sundance, Welcome to ARC ... :blink:

Great to have you here ...

There are some other Eagle Drivers that are members here as well, the more the merrier though ... :blink:

That is cool that you were the Lead in those photos ...

My condolences on your fellow Pilot, Mister Kenney ...

-Gregg

I just found the photos of the 5th FIS F-15 leading an F-106 and a T-33 on your forum. I've been looking for that photo for years, since I was flying the F-15 in the photo on a flight from Minot AFB, ND down to Mt Rushmore in South Dakota on 30 March 1985. I was also flying the F-15 in the third photo breaking away from the F-106. The photos were taken by Darrell Kenney, a T-33 pilot who later was killed in an F-15 accident in Alaska. I've never seen the photos before, thanks!

76-012 was the F-15 I picked for myself at Minot, it was my fourth personal Eagle, previously "owning" 79-029 at the 32 TFS at Soesterberg, then 76-045 and 83-012 at Eglin AFB, FL.

Here's a photo taken while I was leading a 4-ship over the North Dakota countryside: http://flightlog.seven-alpha.com/imageviewer/f15/f1512.html

If anyone knows where those originals from our 1985 three-ship flight are, I would appreciate a contact name/e-mail.

Thanks,

Stan Kasprzyk

"Sundance"

Oh for cool! It's great to have you here. Thank you for the background information regarding the photos, and my condolences for Mr. Kenney as well.

Thanks for the picture, too! The F-15 shots are a hot commodity. It'll be interesting to see if someone has the originals somewhere. You may also want to contact forum member "ikar". He worked on the F-15s when you were there. He provided us with a ton of great 5th FIS slides.

Edited by HoveringCheesecake
  • 1 month later...
59_0006_06large.jpg

List of buno's if that helps:

48-17instr.jpg

Hopefully someone out there has a treasure trove.

Several comments. Number one, it's amusing to see the AOA of the F-106 in that photo. Second, the USAF uses serial numbers, not BuNos. Third, is the LtCol Coe mentioned on that sheet the MiG killer from Vietnam? Fourth I assume this was before "Dobber" became the squadron CC.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Jim Benson has given me permission to post these scans of slides that he took at Minot in 1988. I hope you guys enjoy!

Lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Andre

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Stan Kasprzyk

"Sundance"

Great photo and thank you for sharing..I grew up in Minot (still here actually) and was just a kid when the F-15's were stationed there. I lived across from the airport in Minot and will never forget the flyby's. I have always been partial to the F-15 and especially when it has the 5th FIS markings. Thanks again and and my condolences for Mr. Kenney as well.

Joe

I would just like to thank everyone for posting all of the great photos. Seeing them sure bring back alot of memories. Not sure what would be involved, but it sure would be nice if MAFB would rescue one headed to the boneyard and use it for a static to go along wth the T-33 and F-106 they have.

• 2 weeks later...

Those pics by Jim Benson are nice and enjoyed. Thanks for posting them.

Several comments. Number one, it's amusing to see the AOA of the F-106 in that photo.

Curious to know why the Delta Dart's angle of attack is amusing Murph? Does it have something to do with it does not normally fly slow?

Curious to know why the Delta Dart's angle of attack is amusing Murph? Does it have something to do with it does not normally fly slow?

The aircraft are at either 250 or 300 knots; the F-106 was not optimized for those speeds, so you end up with that type of AOA versus the other two jets in the picture.

Regards,

Murph