Hobby Craft F-86F-25 Sabre 1/72

So I had posted in the Sabre GB that I just started this. That GB ends this weekend so I'm not sure if they are planning any time extension or not. If not I won't get this done in time but if so then maybe!

Anyway started this yesterday as I got bored with the finishing stages of the current projects and wanted to start a new build. I love building models. Not so much on the finishing touches as I'm not as good.

I'm generally impressed with the HC kit as it seems to have really nice detail for a 1/72nd and it also fits together superb.

The cockpit came in about 12 pieces which is a lot for such a small plane. I really didn't spend much time on the paint since it will be hard to see anyway. Just a simple grey then dry brush black over the dials and controls. I am hemming and hawing about putting this modern pilot in there. I have had him for a long time and been waiting for a model to put him in. If so this could become an "Air show" model as it would have a modern flight suit and helmet pilot in an older airplane. I think it looks cool inside but I may have to shorten his legs a bit to get him to sit in the seat properly.

What's everyone think? Pilot or no?

DSCN2248.jpg

DSCN2250.jpg

Test fitting the wings after glueing the fuselage together.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

I had originally decided to do the alternate camo of a German aircraft that the kit comes with but I've changed my mind and am going to try my hand at a metal finish. I sprayed two different products on the wings of my junk A-6. Will tinker with them a little and use a couple different buffing products I have and see which I like best. The let wing is just regular Testors Aluminum paint and the right wing is Model Master stainless steel buffing metalizer.

IMG_0526.jpg

Looking good! I wish I could build as fast as you do.

If you end up using Metalizer, make sure you have a good primer coat down. Also, you can get a nice paneling effect by using different colors of primer and then spraying the metalizer over the whole thing. White, black, and varying grays work the best. If you have to mask over the metalizer, make sure you use a very low tack tape. Post-its work really well, otherwise you'll be pulling up paint, especially if its the buffing type.

Keep knocking them out!

Looking good! I wish I could build as fast as you do.

If you end up using Metalizer, make sure you have a good primer coat down. Also, you can get a nice paneling effect by using different colors of primer and then spraying the metalizer over the whole thing. White, black, and varying grays work the best. If you have to mask over the metalizer, make sure you use a very low tack tape. Post-its work really well, otherwise you'll be pulling up paint, especially if its the buffing type.

Keep knocking them out!

What if you cover with a cote of Future before masking? I figure I'll paint it metal. Then buff and buff and buff and buff some more. Then afterwards cover in a Future cote and finally paint the stripes on the fuselage and the wings. I don't trust the kit decals for those and would rather paint them myself.

I'll have to try that with different primer shades to change the panel look. I was going to try different degrees of buffing and buffing material to try n make different panels different shades but if that works better then I'll do it that way.

I have no patience so I build em quick.

Different styles of buffing work too, change up the material you use, the direction and strength you use them in, and they will all vary how the panels look. The more variation you have, the better it will look. As far as future, I've never tried it on Metalizer. I've never actually cleared over Metalizer, because I've heard that the finish doesn't look as good after you clear over it.

Different styles of buffing work too, change up the material you use, the direction and strength you use them in, and they will all vary how the panels look. The more variation you have, the better it will look. As far as future, I've never tried it on Metalizer. I've never actually cleared over Metalizer, because I've heard that the finish doesn't look as good after you clear over it.

I'll have to test it out on my junk bird then. The metalizer doesn't constantly rub off then if you don't seal it?

I'll have to test it out on my junk bird then. The metalizer doesn't constantly rub off then if you don't seal it?

It can, especially if you don't have a good primer coat. The buffing colors are worse than the non buffing colors. For airplanes that are all natural metal finish, a lot of guys handle them with cotton gloves once they get the whole thing painted. That is the one big downside is how delicate a finish it is.

Sprayed with Model Masters Stainless Steel Metalizer. I primered with white Tamiya primer and left a few panels unprimered and they do look different. Thanks for the tip!

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Now it's time to buff, buff, and buff some more.

Sprayed with Model Masters Stainless Steel Metalizer. I primered with white Tamiya primer and left a few panels unprimered and they do look different. Thanks for the tip!

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Now it's time to buff, buff, and buff some more.

Looking good. Now go out and get yourself some pastel artists chalks and you can add more color while you buff. Either scrape off some dust, or use some sandpaper. Take a cotton cloth, like an old t-shirt, and buff the powder into the panels. Make sure that you mask off each individual panel with some low tack tape, like a post it note. You can use black, gray, brown, white, and yellow on general panels, and blues and reds near the exhaust.

Here's a B-17 that I did for someone where I did the same thing. You can especially see it near the top turret.

5134092348_42090f92e0_b.jpg

Keep it up, you're almost home!

-Dave

Edited by 2qwik4u
Looking good. Now go out and get yourself some pastel artists chalks and you can add more color while you buff. Either scrape off some dust, or use some sandpaper. Take a cotton cloth, like an old t-shirt, and buff the powder into the panels. Make sure that you mask off each individual panel with some low tack tape, like a post it note. You can use black, gray, brown, white, and yellow on general panels, and blues and reds near the exhaust.

Here's a B-17 that I did for someone where I did the same thing. You can especially see it near the top turret.

5134092348_42090f92e0_b.jpg

Keep it up, you're almost home!

-Dave

I have chalks! and will try that. I'm not going to go too crazy but I do want this as a sort of test bed as I plan on doing a B-17 or two in the coming months. That 17 looks great btw. I'll start buffing some today. I also have aluminum powder for buffing that makes it looks nice as well. Will be doing several different panels with different materials. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

I decided to use the kit decals for the yellow stripes. They went on good enough. I'm about to clear the fuselage with another cote of Future and then tomorrow trim the excess decals and also trim the air brakes so I can open them again. Hopefully I don't screw anything up then.

Tomorrow will also decal and clear the wings. Then another day to put all the little bits on and it should maybe be done this weekend.

Friday night the wife's away so I should have some time.

Kris

Wow! You're Sabre looks fanatastic! Very nicely done.

Thanks it turned out good for my first metallic finish project. I actually had a much nicer finish but that metalizer and buffing compound is so unstable that I decided to clear it with Future. Otherwise there would always be a fingerprint or stuff rubbing off. My models get handled often so this was the only way to go. All in all it turned out good and was a nice kit.