Apache - 1/32 Revell

Here is a project I've been experimenting with in the last week or so, this is the impressively sized but old Revell 1/32 kit, this kit is the early 'A' model, I think you can see where I'm going with this...

wah2.jpg

wah3.jpg

wah4.jpg

Edited by Skii

hey!

Israeli Apache? :worship: :worship:

I have this big box too... I bought the edaurd interior PE... now looking for the exterior set...

I will closely follow this build!

bye

Hi chaps

All done with plastic card so far, planning to do a WAH-64 British Army Longbow :)

:worship: :wub: :yahoo::yahoo:

oh yeah !!!

Edit :got carried away with emotions...VERY EXCELLENT Apache too...

Edited by HOLMES

Wow, this is going to me nice. I loved your B-2, so this will be another awesome build. Another must follow thread.

I have the same kit with flightpath set and I would like to build it into IDF Longbow but not sure were I should begin. May I ask what you did using for reference to make the side...ah, skirts? I'm not sure what it's called. Also, please don't be shy with photos. Let us have'em. Thank you.

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1
Here we go again!!! :salute: :salute:

Yup!!!....'e's at it again mates, this time it's how to build a Whirlybird and make others drool.....Ok I've got my drool bib on...so on with the show!!! (I've heard that somewhere before).

Thanks chaps, some more progress made, will be posting up some pics shortly :explode:

Wow, this is going to me nice. I loved your B-2, so this will be another awesome build. Another must follow thread.

I have the same kit with flightpath set and I would like to build it into IDF Longbow but not sure were I should begin. May I ask what you did using for reference to make the side...ah, skirts? I'm not sure what it's called. Also, please don't be shy with photos. Let us have'em. Thank you.

Mike

Thanks Mike :wacko: All the scracthbuilding so far has been guestimated from photos, mostly found from google image searches :)

Cheers

nice 'D' conversion!

Here are some small detail shots I took last year

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/se...57622342337857/

Can I have your old side sponsons?

Cheers Shawn, I'll be stealing the undercarriage shock absorber which is moulded to the 'A' Sponsons in the kit, but you are welcome to what's left of them!

please tell me you're going to cast these up in resin for the rest of us :)

awesome looking job.

Cheers, defiantely a possibility ! :)

Very cool. I have built 2 of these in the past. One when I was 17, the next when I was 23. The biggest mess up for me what always the main rotor shaft housing never sitting properly and whenever I would touch it it would always kind of sink in. Dont know what I did wrong, especially the the 2nd time I built it since I took my time putting it all together. Hope you show how you remedy that situation. Cant wait to see more!

Thanks chaps, some more progress made, will be posting up some pics shortly :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike :wave: All the scracthbuilding so far has been guestimated from photos, mostly found from google image searches :lol:

Cheers

Cheers Shawn, I'll be stealing the undercarriage shock absorber which is moulded to the 'A' Sponsons in the kit, but you are welcome to what's left of them!

Cheers, defiantely a possibility ! :)

that would be great Skii, the kit always seems ripe for a longbow conversion given its breakdown (hell if they make a kfir for the old revell mirage anything is possible)

Righty then, a further update.

I've finished the basic shape of both sponsons, ensuring both are a snug fit without having to make any alterations to the fuselage, I've left the bottom of them until after they are fitted and the fuselage closed up.

sponsons1.jpg

sponsons2.jpg

And this is how they look in place on the airframe, the starboard sponson needs a few more recesses cutting into it, as well as the half-moon plates fitted at the front ends to presumably mount the HIDAS equipment, also lots of scribing and mesh detail to be added ;)

portsponson1.jpg

portsponson2.jpg

starboardsponson1.jpg

finally here was a fun little project - this is the kit M261 rocket pod with the rounded fairing at the front,

I sandwiched layers of plastic card together, then carefully drilled (not very carefully on the first attempt!!) the 19 holes , after this it was cemented in place to the kit pod and then dremelled down to the rounded shape.

rocket1.jpg

It took two attempts, but here is the finished pod which I'm quite pleased with :thumbsup:

rocket2.jpg

rocket3.jpg

Edited by Skii
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks guys :)

Some more updates

scribedsponson.jpg

scribedsponson2.jpg

I've been working on upgrading the old Revell 'A' cockpit to the D version, I've scratched a replacement panel to fit over the kit panel for the pilot, and work on the gunner's panel is mid-way. Still to do the side panels and other pit features. Also replaced the kit 'cushions' with my own milliput versions, belts to be added later when I get more info on their fixing points.

pit1.jpg

pit2.jpg

Also I've removed the moulded-on upper and lower parts of the undercarriage shock absorbers from the kit sponsons, and added a centre section - re-inforced with thick wire (in fact 2 x 1mm drill bits!)

shocks.jpg

Finally I've 'upgraded' the kit 30mm M230 chain-gun by scratchbuilding a replacement muzzle-brake, motor and protective cage (not represented in the kit)

The ammo chute is going to be a challenge, but I've got some ideas :)

m230.jpg

Edited by Skii

I tell you what, Skii......that is VERY impressive.

Scratch building those EFABS had to be pretty difficult, and yet you make it look simple.

I've always said we need a 1/35 AH-64D. Since that will probably not happen any time soon, a 1/32 conversion for the old Revell kit is the next best thing.

I hope someone takes your work as initiative to make a nice resin update set for the 1/32 kit.

Again, absolutely beautiful work.

JED