So I got my A-10 and have somewhat started it. I'm happy with the fit and that of the Tamiya mold but the cockpit is blech. I just purchased a pit upgrade for the Monogram A-10 off someone on here and will try to shoehorn that into the Tamiya bird. I also have a special plan for it so I look forward to showing that off as it is completed. I'll just use kit decals as they are fine and match the time period exactly. I'll get some pictures of the progress either today or tomorrow. Mostly I've just been glueing the smaller bits together.

Kris

Edited by Bigasshammm
So I got my A-10 and have somewhat started it. I'm happy with the fit and that of the Tamiya mold but the cockpit is blech. I just purchased a pit upgrade for the Monogram A-10 off someone on here and will try to shoehorn that into the Tamiya bird. I also have a special plan for it so I look forward to showing that off as it is completed. I'll just use kit decals as they are fine and match the time period exactly. I'll get some pictures of the progress either today or tomorrow. Mostly I've just been glueing the smaller bits together.

Kris

Kris

I look forward to the pics and please post soon...

Edited by HOLMES

Not much to be done till I get the pit so I've been working on the bits that can be glued and forgotten.

Wings and tail assembly glued. I glued a few of the bombs together. I have 2 Hasegawa weapon sets so I will compare the bombs from the kit to them and use the ones that look better. Overall the kit bombs look pretty good actually.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

The last pic has a couple parts from my "master plan" if anyone can notice.

I guess it really isn't a master plan but it's definitely different for me.

Those are the kit decals!

Got to love Tamiya. Just wish the cockpit was better and it wasn't molded in dark dark green plastic.

ah I see, and thank you for telling ME that and THAT the color is GREEN molding as I thought it was BLACK.lol!!

Which marking did you say you were going to do it in...

HOLMES

I'm doing it basically straight from the box so it's the Euro 1 scheme. I would love to do one of the experimental desert camo schemes but to stay in the GB I'm sticking with the kit.

The plyers are actually my paint bottle openers. When the lids get stuck and there's no other way to get them open.

I have bottles of paint that are literally 20 years old.

Some of it still good. The bad ones I just throw away and replace when needed.

I just got back into modeling after probably 10-15 years of very seldom doing it.

Working on the engines right now.

I love how it tell you to paint everything and then you close it up and can't see a thing.

No thanks.

Edited by Bigasshammm

IMG_0577.jpg

OK so what is this flap in this step? Only ever doing the Monogram A-10 and never having served Idk much about the actual plane. This raised flap is new to me and I'm wondering if I should do it as depicted or lower it flush with the wing?

Would this be something deployed in flight or on an attack run for more lift? Would this be open while parked? My enquiring mind wants to know.

Kris

It is a slat, and it is movable. It's designed to maintain a smooth airflow over the wings and into the engine during high angles of attack thereby preventing an engine compressor stall. It usually is open a bit on the ground, look here.More closed in mid air, here

And here on a pic from me:

P6193019resized.jpg

Edited by Pete

Thanks for the info Pete and the superb pics. I guess I will leave it as depicted by the model then.

Got my cockpit in the mail today. Thanks ChuckB!

A-10 is kind of on hold though as I have started my dad's Christmas present of a 1/32nd Corsair.

I'll still work on the A-10 from time to time though.

Thanks for the info Pete and the superb pics. I guess I will leave it as depicted by the model then.

Got my cockpit in the mail today. Thanks ChuckB!

A-10 is kind of on hold though as I have started my dad's Christmas present of a 1/32nd Corsair.

I'll still work on the A-10 from time to time though.

is it a 1:32 DS A-7E Corsair? :cheers:

did you flat cote your Intruder yet? final pics soon?

is it a 1:32 DS A-7E Corsair? :whistle:

did you flat cote your Intruder yet? final pics soon?

F4U-1 corsair sorry. Goodyear made corsairs during the war so they were always flying around when he grew up. Obviously his favorite plane. Will get some dull cote this weekend I'm still thinking of weathering it some but don't want to screw it up.

No update on the Tamiya A-10 as it's still on hold while I work on the Corsair.

But...

I did want to show off the Monogram A-10 I built probably 15-16 years ago. It's been my favorite model I had ever done for years until I did the Tamiya Birdcage Corsair for my dad a couple years ago. (A couple pics of that will be in the display case shortly)

I added a Verlinden avionics set to this but otherwise it's oob.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

The weapons were from a Hase weapons kit I believe. I doubt they are accurate to what it could carry or what they would axctually put on (2 jammers?) but it was symmetrical and looked cool which was all I cared about.

IMG_0621.jpg

I hope my new A-10 looks double as good as this did back when I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten about this it's just been on the backburner.

Now that the Corsair is done I've been booted out of the dining room and had to build a workbench in the basement.

I threw this together last night.

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

It's a lot bigger than it looks and only cost me 22 dollars so far in material. I'm going to go get one of those nifty cutting boards I keep seeing people use and I need to get a good light for it but otherwise I'm ready to go. Moved all my stuff down there today but have yet to organize it. My wife got me a 50$ Hobbylobby gift card so hopefully they have another of their 50% off coupons soon.

Kris

Started working on the Black Box Monogram pit upgrade I got. It seems as it should fit pretty nicely. I'm not going to go crazy on it as the canopy will be closed and pilot will be inside but it's definitely an improvement on the crappy Tamiya excuse for a pit.

Pictures when It's done maybe tonight or tomorrow. This build should go pretty quick after that cause the fit is superb so far

Alright been working a much as I can on the 10 between dealing with work and 2 little girls my time is limited. Got the pit painted up and installed the tub in the fuselage. It fit rather well for being designed for the Monogram kit. Sanded the main fuselage (no putty) and have been working on some other bits. Not much picture worthy to show but I did find this picture while searching for pics during painting and I laughed my butt off.

firing-30mm-cannon-shells-a10-demotivational-poster-1265843387.jpg

Progress...

The lighting is abysmal at my new workbench so my next order of business is to get a nice bench light or something from probably Home Depot. I looked at lights at Hobbylobby today but they weren't anything I could use and were all expensive as crap. I pulled out 3 models to buy with my 50$ gift card while I was there then they tell me their machine is down and they can't accept gift cards or debit cards. Grrrrr. So now I have to go back tomorrow morning because they have a 30% sale on models.

Anyway on to the Hog.

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

She'll probably be ready for paint by the end of the weekend. Most of the major assemblies are together and sanded. The fit is superb as Tamiya usually always is. Just have to get the little bits on then do a finish sand around some of the seams and such to get rid of the glue residue.

Have a Happy New Year everybody. Looks like I won't get this one done in 2010

lol

Kris

So I'm at the paint stage. Finished gluing on all the little bits tonight and all I have to do now is mask the canopy and attach it to the plane.

Looking over the instructions there is no way the paint colors are correct. (3 tones of green but no grey?)

Did a quick search for the FS numbers of the Euro 1 paint scheme like Benner and Alf did on their A-10s. I may just wing it and go with what I got and make it as close as possible but we'll see.

I'm sure you guys know though so help me out.

TIA

Kris

So just read through Alf's build again and this is what he used...

(XF-61 Dark Green, XF-26 Deep Green, and XF-24 Dark Grey)

I will probably also go with this if no one has any other ideas.

I'm thinking the Dark Green should be a Khaki green though but that may just be Tamiya being wrong again.

Tamiya has it at Khaki Drab, Deep Green and instead of gray a mix of yellow, flat black and olive green. I guess maybe that would make a grey color but wow no.

Edited by Bigasshammm
So I'm at the paint stage. Finished gluing on all the little bits tonight and all I have to do now is mask the canopy and attach it to the plane.

Looking over the instructions there is no way the paint colors are correct. (3 tones of green but no grey?)

Did a quick search for the FS numbers of the Euro 1 paint scheme like Benner and Alf did on their A-10s. I may just wing it and go with what I got and make it as close as possible but we'll see.

I'm sure you guys know though so help me out.

TIA

Kris

So just read through Alf's build again and this is what he used...

(XF-61 Dark Green, XF-26 Deep Green, and XF-24 Dark Grey)

I will probably also go with this if no one has any other ideas.

I'm thinking the Dark Green should be a Khaki green though but that may just be Tamiya being wrong again.

Tamiya has it at Khaki Drab, Deep Green and instead of gray a mix of yellow, flat black and olive green. I guess maybe that would make a grey color but wow no.

The colors indicated on the Tamiya sheet are fine in my opinion. I built the kit long ago, I don't have it now anymore but I thought the colors were good then (for the noob modeler I was). Don't pay attention to the names. Tamiya instructions calls for XF-26 Deep Green (for the darker green obviously), mixture of XF-58 and XF-4 for the medium green (I hate mixing), and XF-51 Khaki Drab. If it is the Khaki Drab that is throwing you off, trust me, it comes out as a dark grey and the proper color I think.