Hello, the progress pictures of this build can be found at:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=218711

The complete set of the final pictures can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/levburkara/201...NGr5JWCvo-dzQE#

Please feel free to critique the model, your feedback would be very valuable for the future. Thanks for looking!

IMG_4558.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4575.JPG

It came out very nice. I especially like how you just barely tinted the center windscreen. So many modelers tint it a very dark green or blue, and in reality it wasn't tinted at all, it was just slightly darker than the rest of the of the canopy because the center windscreen was glass while the rest of the canopy was plastic. Glass is slightly less transparent than the plastic, and under certain lighting conditions the glass could appear just a little greenish-blue. I think you nailed the effect perfectly. Do you care to tell us how you did it?

Scott Wilson

Thank you very much everybody. It gave me a little difficulty toward the end, but I think I learned a lot during this build. Incidentally, one thing I have observed is that my photography is getting worse and worse with each model. All these pictures seem too lifeless. I am using the same setup and camera but maybe the gunship gray was too dark against a black backdrop.

It came out very nice. I especially like how you just barely tinted the center windscreen. So many modelers tint it a very dark green or blue, and in reality it wasn't tinted at all, it was just slightly darker than the rest of the of the canopy because the center windscreen was glass while the rest of the canopy was plastic. Glass is slightly less transparent than the plastic, and under certain lighting conditions the glass could appear just a little greenish-blue. I think you nailed the effect perfectly. Do you care to tell us how you did it?

Scott Wilson

Sure, after dipping the canopy in future and letting it dry, I masked the windscreen from the underside to expose the center. Then, I airbrushed from the bottom a mix of Tamiya clear green + clear blue thinned with X-20A (about 1 paint : 4 thinner). Finally, another coat of future. I think if I did it again, I would not do the first future dip as I think the alcohol in X-20A dissolves future ever so slightly creating a pebbly look.

Edited by Janissary

Also, if I may, does anyone have a suggestion as to how to create the following dark spots below?

Picture1.jpg

Image copyrighted by MikeHead @ JetPhotos.net

Picture2.jpg

Image found online but lost the link. Will remove it if it is an issue.

I tried airbrushing but it did not work. I wanted to try some oils and brush painting, but I was afraid to screw it up as I don't usually do this. I would also like to know how you would create the overall whitish hue. I have heard of filters etc. but don't have a good understanding. Anyway, it would be tremendously helpful if you could offer your suggestions, especially for the dark spots. Any keywords, techniques that I can look up would also be helpful. Thanks!

It´s a wet part of plane, what you have on photos.... When I build my greek phantom, I used glossy coat with 1-2% of dark color and airbrush gun... (propably black). adn it´s work...

But you must be very carefuly!

Edited by Honza K.
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you all. I thought that the final finish was too clean so I decided to beat it up a little bit with some shading, chipping, and exhaust stains. I believe I have overdone it a little bit but also got to try a few things that helped me overcome some of my fears.

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

IMG_4648.JPG

IMG_4649.JPG

During the process, I have also sacrificed an old model while experimenting with the hairspray technique and chipping. The old model is now removed from my display case making room for the new one. I sometimes cannot believe that I easily sacrifice a relatively recent model in such ways. I have found that the most exciting part for me is the building process, once I am done with the model, it immediately becomes susceptible to my brutal experimentations.

IMG_4650.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

very nice if a little confusing build,as its still missing most of the QF-4 antenna,the badges are for NJ ANG yet the sharkmouth is that of Missouri ANG?......and its got TISEO which no former ANG F-4E's used.... I know i sound harsh,but those things leaped out at me in a otherwise excellently finished model.

Burak,

Most impressive build sir :rofl: . I like the subtle weathering and the paint chipping. I am so glad that I will not be competing against you this spring.

WELL DONE MY FRIEND!! :lol:

Jack aka BUGFAN

Thank you very much for your kind words everybody, I very much appreciate it!

Jack, nice to see you again around here. I think I will go to Tricon 2011, will you be there? I had started this model with great expectations, but after the overdone rivet work I kinda lost my groove. On top of that, the last phase of weathering has been a little too much.

Mungo, I absolutely understand your confusion. I had started this model with other aspirations, but in the middle decided to convert it to a QF-4. I have seen pics of these birds with sharkmouths on them so decided to go with whatever decals came in the box. So it ended up being a cocktail of numbers, decals, tiseo etc.

Some final thoughts about this model... To me, the painting and weathering looked alright right after the gunze paints. After that, I had to airbrush some future to prep for decals and wash. That's when I lost all the subtle weathering. The final dull coat just blended everything further. So in my case minimal clear coats is key. Anyway, I have run into this problem many times before so I had anticipated it anyway.

Gorgeous build. Your paint work is truly inspiring. I too have had similar experiences with clear coats diminishing the various, subtle weathering effects I have managed to achieve... It's all still a work in progress... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you Mark and Steelbreeze. I used the kit's intakes. The compressor faces you see are scavenged from a Hasegawa 1/72 F-14. I cut one down the middle and installed in the two intakes. Hence quite inaccurate, but just adds some depth to an otherwise flat wall I guess.