Dirk's 1/72 Academy B-17E "Old 666" 43rd Bomb Group

My contribution to this group build will be the B-17E "Old 666" of the 43rd Bomb Group which was assigned to the Pacific theater. To build this I will be using and modifying the Academy 1/72 B-17E "RAF Coastal Command" as the base. For the most part this will be an OOB build except for the addition of 5 more 50cal. machine guns bringing the total from 13 to 19. SWEET!

Box Art

Hold078.jpg

The Parts

Hold079.jpg

Hold080.jpg

I will post more about this particular aircraft shortly.

Thanks for looking

Dirk

It's amazing how the guys who always end up being the heroes were the ones who were the miscreants at the beginning.

They were called the "Eager Bevers" and from everything I read about them they were the true "Black Sheep" of the Pacific Theater

Ok I was able to get a little done on the B-17 tonight but first lets look at a little of the history of this Old B-17.

History

One day in 1943 an old B-17E with the tail number 41-2666 formally known as "LUCY" was flown in and parked on an airstrip at Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea. The bomber had seen better days and its frame bore evidence of its heavy record of aerial combat. It was so badly shot up it was now worthless, and was parked at the end of the runway where other aircrews could cannibalize it for needed parts. That was until a young Captain from Orange New Jersey named Jay Zeamer intervene.

Stay tuned for more in our next installment now onto the model

The Model

I started by painting all of the appropriate parts and features with Model Master Interior Green.

OldCockpitandBombadier002.jpg

The green came out nice but a little too "pure" for an old bomber. So I made a little bit of wash with some black Oil paint and thinner

OldCockpitandBombadier005.jpg

I placed this clean piece next to the others so you can see the difference between the washed and non-washed parts.

OldCockpitandBombadier007.jpg

Here are the before and after shots of the fuselage. The photos make it look darker then it really is.

OldCockpitandBombadier008.jpg

This one is a bit better

OldCockpitandBombadier01003.jpg

Here we see the office of Captain Jay Zeamer and 2nd Lieutenant John T. Britton

OldCockpitandBombadier009.jpg

OldCockpitandBombadier011.jpg

Ever since I was a kid I loved the look of the B-17 but I admit I never knew all the differences between the models. It wasn't untill I started this project that I started to learn a whole lot more. What I found strange as I was assembling the nose section was the big chairs. Well it turns out the earlier B-17s had more "comfort" features like the big chairs and the walls were covered with a padding as you can see in these photos. Kinda reminds me of an old Cordoba

B1720Iinterior.jpg

B1720Iinterior20004.jpg

B1720Iinterior20003.jpg

Like what you done so far, the dark wash is a great idea. :thumbsup:

- just a thought- wouldn't the interior also have had some worn-through (ie aluminum ) spots and /or patches?

Regardless it looks like a great build of a special bomber.

Like what you done so far, the dark wash is a great idea. :unsure:

- just a thought- wouldn't the interior also have had some worn-through (ie aluminum ) spots and /or patches?

Regardless it looks like a great build of a special bomber.

Thanks for the kind words Steve, but give me some time and you'll see some wear. I promise

Edited by Dirkpitt289

here's a little side bar project I've been working on. I hope you don't mind me posting it here as it's kinda related. I've recently been getting into the 1/144 arena. As you can guess it was more necessity then desire. There is just no way I can build all the things I want and desplay them all. There just isn't enough room so I took the road of 1/144. This is my second project in that scale.

After a rather successful completion of the B-24 Assembly ship Tubarao which included custom made decals I figured I could build anything. :unsure: This is a Crown B-17G which I planed to build as Little Miss Mischief from the 324th Squadron. The problem that has arrised is that I suck at making my own decals and I have failed miserably at making the decals. here's my latest non-discript B-17G

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

I started by removing the waist gunners windows.

IMG_1018.jpg

The plastic surgery continues

IMG_1019.jpg

Not to bad. I'll make up some glass later after its painted

IMG_1022.jpg

Good lord this window is thicker then the actual B-17 windscreen.

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1060-1.jpg

***????

IMG_1084.jpg

Between clients, and trying to get some work done on a minicraft B-29 I only have time for a quickie today, After reviewing last nights progress on line I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. I had weathered the fuselage and all the surrounding areas and yet the seats, table and wood floor were like new.:thumbsup: It bothered me all day so when I got home I combined a little Burnt Umber oil paint and a some thinner and made a wash. Its not perfect by any means but it should look ok when seen through the nose and cockpit windows.

OldCockpitandBombadier02001.jpg

OldCockpitandBombadier02002.jpg

After seeing these photos (The camera seems to capture more then my tired old eyes) I went back and cleaned up things a little more. It looks a lot better then these photos depict

later guys and thanks for looking.

Between clients, and trying to get some work done on a minicraft B-29 I only have time for a quickie today, After reviewing last nights progress on line I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. I had weathered the fuselage and all the surrounding areas and yet the seats, table and wood floor were like new.:monkeydance: It bothered me all day so when I got home I combined a little Burnt Umber oil paint and a some thinner and made a wash. Its not perfect by any means but it should look ok when seen through the nose and cockpit windows.

OldCockpitandBombadier02001.jpg

OldCockpitandBombadier02002.jpg

After seeing these photos (The camera seems to capture more then my tired old eyes) I went back and cleaned up things a little more. It looks a lot better then these photos depict

later guys and thanks for looking.

Looking good. Why the wood floor in the navigator's compartment?

I didn't think they had wood floors but that may be my bad and something I need to change. lol.

... Dirk,

WOW !!! This is going to be some build and MORE !

I am already enjoying this build..and you have done such a FANTASTIC job so far.

I especially like this build due to the history that goes with it...I know that ALL

aircrafts have a historical attachment but this one is quite special as it was such a

dangerous mission. Dirk Keep up the GOOD WORK !" :P :)

Thank you for the History channel Link..AWESOME..

{Shawn M thank you for your link too..great to watch both !}

HOLMES :nanner:

... Dirk,

WOW !!! This is going to be some build and MORE !

I am already enjoying this build..and you have done such a FANTASTIC job so far.

I especially like this build due to the history that goes with it...I know that ALL

aircrafts have a historical attachment but this one is quite special as it was such a

dangerous mission. Dirk Keep up the GOOD WORK !" :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

Thank you for the History channel Link..AWESOME..

{Shawn M thank you for your link too..great to watch both !}

HOLMES :whistle:

Thanks for the kind words and the inspiration.