Hello, this will be my next attempt:

>>Fresh F-15K<<

I will try to to convert Revell's E into K. A number of fellow modelers have already provided some information for this conversion:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=228394&st=0&p=2178932&

I am in the process of painting the cockpit with MM aircraft engine black and Tamiya X-18.

IMG_4906.JPG

I removed the seam line on the canopy. For the HUD, I will be using iridescent film I got from Michaels. I got the idea from some recent posts here at ARC, which I traced back to this link

IMG_4909.JPG

I also applied a first coat of surfacer to the seam lines. After a few more coats, I will try to sand them down. Painting these intakes will be interesting as there is both grey and white which meet toward the middle if I am not mistaken. Airbrushing is always problematic for me in these tight spaces.

IMG_4910.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Painting these intakes will be interesting as there is both grey and white which meet toward the middle if I am not mistaken.

Nice work so far. Yes, the gray extends 6 feet (1.5 inches in 1/48) into the intakes before the white "takes over".

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, some more progress on the eagle. Cockpit was painted with various shades of black and dry brushed. The buttons and dials were painted last.

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

I spent quite a bit of time sanding the inside of the intakes and painting. The yellow is MM zinc chromate airbrushed. The white is latex paint (dipping the intake into the paint).

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4922.JPG

I filled the pylon holes with stretched sprue and cut the horizontal stabs.

IMG_4918.JPG

Dry fitting was very important for the front-back fuselage. To make the halves match flush, I added some structural support to both. This prevents an otherwise big step when the parts are glued.

IMG_4924.JPG

I cut and bent the outer flaps. I am also working on the panel lines. In this model I am using UMM's scriber to deepen all the panel lines. I have to admit this is the best scriber I have ever used! The razor is also very good.

IMG_4925.JPG

Edited by Janissary

I am now nearing the end of the construction phase. All seams were treated in this order: Basic putty using super glue + accelerator, sanding with various tools, detail puttying with tamiya white surfacer, final sanding with various tools and grit sizes.

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

The next step is to attach the intake fronts and treat the gun muzzle. I will then deepen/reopen all panel lines and do some riveting. Thus far, I have used the following tools for sanding and scribing. I have more appreciation for the tools that are well designed. I really like all of them.

IMG_4938.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I also added filled the gap in the gun with putty and sanded to shape. I also added the gps dome but it is a little oversized and I think in a slightly wrong position.

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

I attached the windshield and temporarily placed the HUD. I could not catch the right angle but I am glad I tried the iridescent film idea.

IMG_4960.JPG

Using Honza'a F-15E as a guide, I added some rivets to the top surfaces. I also painted the exhaust section with different shades of Alclad and MM metalizers. I used Future as the primer cut with Windex. I have found it to provide a clean gloss surface for Alclad. I also tried some asymmetrical panel painting based on the few pictures I have seen. I plan to weather the metallic sections later.

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4967.JPG

I tried to do the K-specific antennas from the fins of an LGB out of a F-117 model.

IMG_4966.JPG

Thank you very much Sharkey and Qian. I am on standby mode as I cannot figure out how to tackle the following problem:

IMG_4960.JPG

The sides of the windshield sit pretty cleanly on the IP. However, I still would like to lose the seamline between the windshield and the body, but using a safe method. In the past, I used CA or Tamiya liquid putty to fill in the gaps and later sand it down. However, in this case, I don't think that is too necessary. What I am looking for is some thin putty that can simply seal the seam up without sanding. I would like to avoid the use of any solvents (like alcohol or thinner) during clean up. Something that I can thin down with water and can wipe the excess off with a wet brush or cloth would be ideal.

Any thoughts? I thought about using white glue thinned down with water and carefully brush it along the seam. Will this work? I am not sure if it will level out right. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

White glue, as you suggested, or maybe Future would be my choice. I actually just leave that area the way it is usually. If you look at an F-15's windscreen, it often is not a "perfect fit" on the real thing either. Look at a close-up shot, such as a air-to-air refueling or something, and you'll see. I don't know if the sealent comes out frequently, or what exactly happens, but there is a gap there a lot of times.

Also, since you are doing a "naked" one, you could always say that the sealent has not been applied yet.

Aaron

Hello Jannisary, very neat work on your Eagle so far. :thumbsup:

What I am looking for is some thin putty that can simply seal the seam up without sanding.

Any thoughts?

Another alternative might be typewriter correction fluid. Here in the UK it goes under the trade name "Tippex".

524261.jpg

There are also other brands available so you should be able to find something similar locally.

Apply the correction fluid then wipe away with a moist Q-tip.

I use acrylic paints which don't affect the cured correction fluid at all. If you use enamels I'd suggest trying a practice piece first to avoid any unexpected reactions.

HTH

:cheers:

Thank you everybody for the suggestions and feedback. I ended up using white glue to seal the seam and wiped off the excess with a wet brush. I think it worked out ok.

Finally I am onto the more exciting part of the build. I applied Surfacer 1200 thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner. After fixing a few issues, I cleaned up the surface with an old tshirt and a toothbrush. I am now onto applying the colors. I started with Tamiya XF-4 with a little bit of white added. I also add X-22 to the mix to give some sheen to the otherwise flat paint.

IMG_4987.JPG

IMG_4988.JPG

IMG_4989.JPG

I plan to mask certain panels and paint them with different shades of the yellow. I will then move onto the green and other colors. These builds are a great inspiration to me:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/620142/

Hello, I am continuing with painting. The most time consuming part is masking each panel. I use tamiya tape, parafilm and scotch tape for this. The colors are too vivid at this time, I will need to weather the model later to make it more realistic.

IMG_4990.JPG

IMG_4991.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

I mark each panel with the color I will use to paint

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5000.JPG

There are still tons of panel I'll need to paint. I finally managed to knock off the antenna in front of the speed brake :( I filled it up with melted sprue for now.