This week I had 2 Micheals 40% discount coupons and had already built all the aircraft kits they sell that I was interesed in. I like the A-10 but have already built one. I have always liked the look of the Mil-24D Hind but I'm not interested in building one. So I decided to merge the two. I like ugly aircraft and this should look like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Micheals has some good deals on kits, unfortunately they don't have a big selection. I bought both the 48 scale A-10 and the Hind for around around $15.oo and started cutting.

A-24D01.jpg

I mocked up what I was thinking about doing. Maybe it could be a replacement for the OV-10. It can carry weapons, fly slow, has a long loiter time and can infil/exfil small SF teams, or pick up wounded personnel.

A-24D02.jpg

I ended up moving the tail and wings farther forward because the center of gravity looked way off (still does but not as bad).

A-24D06.jpg

A-24D03.jpg

A-24D05.jpg

A-24D08.jpg

I am thinking about cutting the top off where the Hind engine intakes are. There isn't a reason for these since there is no rotor, I just like the way they look.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Els

FANTABULOUS Combination....

I LOVE WARTHOGSwith its quirky design that looks ugly to some but it is SOMETHING I LIKE !

The Hind is a MEAN machine and Els I know you will IMPRESS us with this build. :chain-gun:

NICE good clean start.... :clap2: :thumbsup2

HOLMES :popcorn:

Thanks everybody,

It is a pretty mean looking machine.

I don't have anything to post right now, I am just filling up the gaps with putty. Maybe I will be able to do something with it tomorrow.

Els

Thanks everybody.

I was able to to do a little work on the beast yesterday. I thought all the gaps were filled so I shot a little paint over the top. Of course, I found that I still had plenty of gaps, scratches and all manner of other uglies that needed work.

A-24D09.jpg

It is getting pretty close though. A little fine tuning and I think the body will be done. I am not sure whether to put landing gear on this or make it inflight. I am leaning towards inflight.

I also painted up the aircrew.

A-24D12.jpg

A-24D11.jpg

Thanks for following along, let me know what you think.

Els

Looking very good! Two awesome machines and they do make sense together. Is that a Brazilian Fighter Squadron patch on the right shoulder of the front-seat guy? The details on the crewmembers are great, are they decals?

Cheers,

Thiago

Holy crow, that's one seriously cool looking vehicle you've got there! Great imagination man!

Full marks for doing this, it's a great combo of two great machines. And it looks like it would work too.

Alvis 3.1

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Thiago, the patches on the figures are decals. A few years ago, Starship Modeler put out some extra small cheescake decals for war gamers. They are very small and you can't really see the artwork but they work great for 48 scale shoulder patches. It gives a nice splash of color. This picture will give you an idea of the size.

A-24D13.jpg

They also make other decals in a variety of sizes if you are interested. The larger ones make good nose art for SF or aircraft kits.

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/category/186/nose-art-and-cheesecake-decals.cfm

Alvis, thanks. I have run out of shelf/display space. This is a good way to have a Hind and an A-10 on the shelf at the same time.

Aigore, I am leaning toward inflight myself. I did a dry run with the kit supplied gear and it looks a little wierd on wheels.

Els

A little more was done today.

I started modifying a crewmember for the back.

A-24D14.jpg

I am not sure if the figure is out of scale or the back of the Hind is just very low but even kneeling, the figure was to tall for the door. So I modified him again to lean on the bottom of the door so that he would fit. Not much of him will be visible so he doesn't have to be very detailed.

A-24D15.jpg

I also chopped the pylon off the rocket pod so that I could use the A-10 pylons. The rocket pods look cool so I will use a couple of them.

A-24D16.jpg

I added some square brass to the bottom so that it can be displayed inflight. The gear doors are a terrible fit, I will have to putty that up.

A-24D17.jpg

I then finished up by preshading it. It will be off to the paint barn tomorrow.

A-24D18.jpg

Els

Aigore, it would look pretty cool with a lot of rockets. I only have 2 so I think I will fill the rest out with Napalm, bombs and the ECM pod. I am not sure though, it would be nice to have a couple of Mavericks just in case you needed them.

The extra crewmember was finished today. He is not very detailed because very little of him will be visible.

A-24D19.jpg

Gekkographics posted a picture of an F-104 in tan and black camo for Operation Rabbit Foot in the What If thread. I thought that this looked really cool. I appreciate him posting it and hopefully he doesn't get mad that I used his image for my inspiration.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=130242&st=2420

My first attempt at the camo did not turn out very well.

A-24D20.jpg

I stripped the black off so that I could try again. That was not fun, but it made the paint job look old an worn out.

A-24D21.jpg

New camo applied:

A-24D22.jpg

It doesn't look as good on the A-24 as it did on the F-104. Maybe later I will build an F-104 for a companion piece.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think

Els

still looks good (would've liked to see it in lizard green too ;-) you will just have to build another one to satisfy me!!!)... it looks very sci-fi... i can almost imagine the engines rotating to provide vertical lift - in my mind I have a film (Terminator or Transformers - something like that) with Military drop ships with props that swivel for vertical/horizontal flight......

Robw_UK,

You might have to wait a while before I build one in greens. Maybe I will take the left over hind and A-10 parts and make something green out of them. An A-10 HOG attack helo???

Its funny that you mention Terminator. As soon as I put the two aircraft together I thought about modifying the back engines so that they could swivel like the hunter killers. I was going to run a couple of extensions out of the Hind engine exhausts that could also swivel. As it is now, besides for looks, there is no reason for the Hind engines. Unfortunately, the lazy factor kicked in.

I finished decaling today. The great thing about Whifs is that when you get tired of putting decals on, thats how many decals it needed.

A-24D25.jpg

One of the big reasons that I wanted to build this is that I wanted to try dot filters. I got so carried away with decaling today that I forgot to do it while I had the future on it. I don't think it will work over the dull coat. Tomorrow I will add some washes and do a little more work smoothing out the A-10 engine intakes. I also need to do a base for it.

Els

Thanks Hoops.

A simple base was made today.

A-24D35.jpg

I used a cheap craft store wood plaque and put some square brass to hold the aircraft. Some lettering was printed on clear decal sheet to dress it up a little. After that I tinted some future with a little brown paint to clear cote the wood.

Other than that, it is done. I wish that I would have sculpted some goggles on the rear crewmember before glueing him in.

I will post the completed pictures in the Display Case.

Thanks to all that followed along on this build. I appreciate the positive feedback that I received.

Els