IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5338.JPG

The radome had some problems:

IMG_5321.JPG

I tried to fix it as follows (the arrows show the outstanding problems):

IMG_5336.JPG

IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

As seen, I ended up filling the gap between the radome and the body. Before doing that, I tried to rescribe the border using some tape as a guide however I could not get a crisp, clean panel line.

To my eye, the radome/fuselage joint (the lack thereof) looks unrealistic. Shall I try to create that line or just leave it alone? Would it be worthwhile given that this is a pretty obvious part of the model? I am also considering to redo the other problematic areas (arrows). I am somewhat indecisive. Diego's F-16 is a good example of how that region should look like:

Link

To my eye, the radome/fuselage joint (the lack thereof) looks unrealistic. Shall I try to create that line or just leave it alone? Would it be worthwhile given that this is a pretty obvious part of the model? I am also considering to redo the other problematic areas (arrows). I am somewhat indecisive.

Great work so far! I really like the top of the model near the wing root area. Very clean and crisp work.

As far as the radome panel line is concerned, you really do need to make a fairly obvious one here, since this panel line is one of the most obvious ones on the entire jet. I've been docked in the past for "inconsistent panel lines", so I'm a lot more sensitive now about what's "good enough". I would start by carefully scribing a thin one using a #11 knife, then making it a bit wider with a scribing tool once you're happy with the intended demarcation line.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Chuck. I decided that I did not like the radome-fuselage seam so cleaned everything with alcohol and began scribing:

IMG_5344.JPG

Did not like the results at all:

IMG_5365.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

So started from scratch. Snipped the nose off and wet sanded both joint surfaces flat.

IMG_5369.JPG

After rejoining, I used some thick enamel paint from the bottle to lightly fill up the seam. After it dried, I cleaned the excess with mineral spirits. I think the transition looks more natural this way.

IMG_5370.JPG

For hard to mask surfaces I tend to use parafilm. After stretching it, I place it on the model and push it down in to the recesses with a brush. Then, cut the shape around using a fresh knife and using the panel lines as a guide:

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG

The color contrast in not significant so I remasked and applied a darker color after this.

Edited by Janissary

Some work on the externals. I am experimenting with shading and various color configurations for the weapons. I may redo the Aim-9X and convert that to an ACMI pod. These are some refs I am using:

White, Amraam looking thingy

Orange pod

IMG_5377.JPG

Finally, I have begun the painting process. I am using Gunze acrylic 36375, 36270 and 36118 thinned with Tamiya X-20A. These are extraordinary paints I must admit. They have a beautiful sheen and are very robust. I sometimes add Tamiya clear gloss to the mix if I want more glossiness but semi-gloss is what I usually shoot for. I use the same trick with Tamiya acrylic paints.

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

And here is a shot of my workbench:

IMG_5375.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, a few progress pics. Little things are taking too much time since I had to start from scratch several times. Grey Amraam is Gunze LGG, the sidewinder is XF-19.

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

The nozzle was painted as follows: primer > tamiya gloss black > future > alclad polished aluminum > line definition on the exhaust using a pencil > shading with clear orange, blue, smoke > masking > dark overlap region with MM buffing metalizers. Lots of these effects are unfortunately indescribable in the pictures and in actuality.

IMG_5426.JPG

Painted light grey/buff mixture around the tires. During construction, I scribed the grooves in the tires using one of the tri-tool saws.

IMG_5422.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

I bought a few organizers to keep my most frequently used tools accessible and the model parts organized. I really like it.

IMG_5431.JPG

I finally received Caracal Models' Tuaf F-16 decals from Kursad! The decal sheet is really impressive. On top of that, there is a booklet and bunch of schematics with tons of info (Turkish and English). I am very excited about it.

IMG_5434.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Finally, I have reached the shading, weathering and decaling stages. I plan to do several layers of shading with the airbrush and then oil paints. Here are a few pictures from the first stage. I have noticed that later layers of future, washes and matte coats typically suppress the results of shading. Hence, I think it is better to go a little overboard with shading, knowing that the effect can be lessened later. However, this is still a big dilemma for me, so I don't have a good method yet.

IMG_5437.JPG

I kept the landing gear doors clean. I also see the rivets I made on the horizontal stabs. I am learning so much from

Diego's F-16.

IMG_5436.JPG

A few underside shots:

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

Also, I have been working on the top side. I adjusted the lighting, sharpness and contrast of all the images using Picasa. In my opinion the originals don't look as good :)

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5456.JPG

IMG_5457.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

For now, this is the first layer of weathering. I plan to go over a few panel lines with a darker tone of the main colors for definition (like the horizontal stabs).

To be honest, this kind of weathering is a little too much and not very realistic. These aircrafts don't seem to exhibit such dramatic tonal variation. As I mentioned, I am relying on future to later subdue this effect.

Hi Rob, I found the Parafilm at the chemistry department's lab equipment store of a university here.

I am finally onto decaling. For the kit decals, I used many things including Mr. Mark Softer, vinegar (in place of Microset), Microsol, nail polish remover, and even lacquer thinner! The last you have to be careful with.

IMG_5480.JPG

I now had the chance to try out Kursad's F-16 decals (Caracal decals). They are wonderfully printed decals (by cartograf). They are very thin but very robust at the same time. It was a pleasure to work with them. Once applied, they dry and conform to the details petty well. I used only vinegar to wet the surface, and Mr. Mark softer to later make it conform to the details even better. In the picture below, you see me dunking the decal into vinegar before placing it on the model.

IMG_5481.JPG

I cut around the artwork as close as possible for small decals especially to minimize the clear film.

IMG_5482.JPG

After the application, I think it is good to go over the decals to cut along the panel lines and the rivets. After that, I again apply Mr. Mark Softer. I think that helps create a painted on look.

IMG_5484.JPG

The refueling decal was fighting me around the canopy fairing so I had to remove the clear film marked in red lines. I also separated the decal into two pieces along the blue line to aid in placement. You wouldn't need to do this if building a C model.

The edges of many decals are still visible in the pictures, but I hope another coat of future and a flat coat will help hide those.

IMG_5486.JPG

A few more images:

IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

I am now working on the walkways. I was a little afraid that they would be too delicate but they were just fine and they conform to the surface really well. No problems at all.

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this decal set. This is probably the best aftermarket decal set I used together with the Afterburner Decal set I used for my F-18F. Kursad's work was really worthwhile and he did a superb job with its design.

Thank you guys. A small update (mostly underside shots) before I load the munition. I used oil paints thinned with mineral spirits for the wash.

IMG_5495.JPG

All the underside details will be lost once the weapons are in place :( Luckily, the wash has brought out some of the panel line and rivet details. I used a mix of testors dull coat and semi-gloss coat for the final flat varnish.

In hopes to simulate further weathering, I also applied a highly thinned grey over the decals using the airbrush to dim down the otherwise colorful decals.

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

An angle I like viewing the naked vipers.

IMG_5505.JPG