Edit:

My original intent for this kit was a 334FS bird "Jan", but I have switched gears and the "Jan" build will move over to a really neat Hobby Craft 1/24th kit that I have procured (I will start its own build thread eventually). So I am in a dilema as to the nature of this planes overall look. I am leaning towards a possible RAF scheme, but it is actually a "never was" scheme that I found on the net, RAF Dk. Green over Med Sea Grey. We will see.

Here is the kit....its the newer version and has all 3 props, and both canopies...

IMAG1320-1.jpg

And here is where I am so far...

IMAG1332.jpg

IMAG1335.jpg

And as promised here is some of the references I will be using....

Mustang_Ducimus01.jpg

Mustang_Ducimus02.jpg

Granted its written towards the RAF, I making the assumption that using a bit of logic some of it can be applied to the P-51s of USAAF.

Edited by xmh53wrench

Update:

a dry fitting of things, leaves alot to be desired in the wing/fillet/dihedral areas, so I will be adding with some sheet styrene, the wing main spar to correct the dihedral, and fix up the wheel wells and gun bays as well.

IMAG1329.jpg

spray bombed a bunch of flat black parts, and did the initial assembly of the engine. Also in the process of repairing some horrible sink marks in the cuffs, and painted the spinner.

IMAG1374.jpg

IMAG1380.jpg

Spinner is painted for the original "Jan" build, it may end up changing.

Edited by xmh53wrench

Mikkel, YES it does, both types of uncuffed props, Hamilton Standard and Aero-products (I believe those were the manufacturers, I don't have my notes...). I also read the cuffs were installed to help force air into the chin scoop during high altitude operations.....what I read anyway.

Thanks for looking in "tourist" and Mikkel

Well so far tonight.....

I wanted to have a Warren McArthur seat in this build as IMO would be a bit more probable, but in the kit was a "sort of" Schick-Johnson...soooo.....

Before:

IMAG1382.jpg

During:

IMAG1383.jpg

After:

IMAG1386.jpg

I have a bit of work to do on the floor boards yet, I did paint the seat "Dull Dark Green" aka Dk. Euro Green 34092 per the ref. material above and what I have read around the net as that FS# being the closest match, and of course the obligatory "masking tape" seat belts . Also still tinkering away on the engine accessories.

Well a bit done tonight. The instrument panel actually looks better than it photographed, IMO, I am going to try a few more times to get a better picture.

Here is a pic of an actual -5NA IP, and what comes in the kit.

NA5915_FIG25_s.jpg

From what I gather this IP was short lived in the -5 series, and may have been left overs from the B/C models.

IMAG1420.jpg

And here is my instrument panel as well as a quick shot of a few other bits...

IMAG1418.jpg

IMAG1419.jpg

Tiny update, not much done as I want to scratch build some of the structure in the tail gear well, and I am thinking there is something missing the the belly scoop exhaust area (a panel that goes from the top of the radiator aft to the aft end of the opening) so looking for "good" pics of those areas. And also getting together a game plan for the main spar and wheel well areas. Also at this point, I would gladly take some constructive criticism on anything that is worth changing at this point. Not sure on that color of the head rest for starters.

IMAG1434.jpg

Edited by xmh53wrench

I don't think you'll need to change anything!!!

But a wash would really do great :) You should do a Latin American Stang once :D

Cheers,

Mikkel

LOL, thanks Mikkel. I have no idea how to do a wash, I have yet to venture into that area of modeling...but hope to at some point. And as far as a Latin American Stang, ABSOLUTELY!!!! Your Camo'd Bolivian "D" Bolivian P-51D Link is amazing, and would be a great addition to my growing collection.

On a similar note, I to plan on procuring a 1/32 P-47 and doll up in the colors of El Esquadron 201 of Mexico, in honor of my Mexican heritage.

post-9204-1248228697.jpg

LOL, thanks Mikkel. I have no idea how to do a wash, I have yet to venture into that area of modeling...but hope to at some point. And as far as a Latin American Stang, ABSOLUTELY!!!! Your Camo'd Bolivian "D" Bolivian P-51D Link is amazing, and would be a great addition to my growing collection.

On a similar note, I to plan on procuring a 1/32 P-47 and doll up in the colors of El Esquadron 201 of Mexico, in honor of my Mexican heritage.

post-9204-1248228697.jpg

Really? wash is super easy!! just get some waterbased paint (black/brown is a good start) thin it with windex/future or water, and brush it on your model :)

I'm very happy that you like my Bolivian Stang :) but I want to see yours :D

The P-47 looks very special, do it!!!

Regards,

Mikkel

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been a while since an update and some progress. I had spent some time spraying a test panel with various enamels and alclad lacquers in preparation for this builds NMF and my first try at that. And some research regarding the tail landing gear well and radiator exhaust ducting. So with a bit of knowledge, a bit of ambition, a bit of plasticard, and a bit of blind luck, I tore into some scratch building on this Mustang.

My test panel...

IMAG1482.jpg

My attempt at dolling up the radiator exhaust and tali gear well...

IMAG1523.jpg

IMAG1526.jpg

Oh, and the beginning of adding a main spar to the wings to get the dihedral closer, and as the foundation to do some scratch building in the main gear wells and gun bays.

IMAG1520.jpg

And I have taken a liking to this technique for wing assembly, attaching the upper wing halves to the fuselage then after fuselage assembly attaching the lower halves...

IMAG1519.jpg

Well today's accomplishments, not a whole lot, seems everytime I turn around I have to research something.

This is a side profile of 413956

dickmeyerpclr.gif

But through my research I have, IMO, figured out that since Lt. Dickmeyer lost this AC sometime in his assignment with the 334th, that this profile "may" be a bit incorrect, for "my" build. I am taking the liberty of adding D-Day stripes, so in light of that and ALL the photos I have seen of the AC in this squadron with D-Day stripes still on them, they in fact have only a red spinner and small band on nose cowling. They also have a black horizontal stripe on the tail and rudder, as the red rudders were not ordered until 27OCT44. I am also going to take the liberty of removing the dorsal fin from my build as this was a -5NA, and may not have been modified straight away after that order of 15JUN44. I think I will also insure his name and 1 kill marking are on the side of this build....I hope to find out more during this process, that will either back me up, or insure I can make the necessary corrections as I go.

And for my progress....a few pics....

a dry fitting of things, leaves alot to be desired in the wing/fillet/dihedral areas, so I will be adding with some sheet styrene, the wing main spar to correct the dihedral, and fix up the wheel wells and gun bays as well.

IMAG1329.jpg

spray bombed a bunch of flat black parts, and did the initial assembly of the engine. Also in the process of repairing some horrible sink marks in the cuffs, and painted the spinner.

IMAG1374.jpg

IMAG1380.jpg

The more I research and work on this, I am figuring out this will probably not be a battle worn aircraft, so I have to keep the weathering and distressing of it in check. I am figuring, for "my" build it was only in theater for about 2-3 months...

Hi.

Don't fret about the wingroot gaps. From what I can see here if you pull the wings up to get the proper dihedral, it looks like the gap will disappear.

Great start, keep it up !

Allan

Thanks again HOLMES, and Allan.

By using the technique I am, any gaps at the wing root are eliminated. I good dry run is required though in hopes that doing it this way all the gun barrel ports still line up....they did in this case.

Thanks Kev,

Well its all closed up...(chock up a few more grey hairs to this particular portion of the build)...I have left the engine area loose as I am going to be working on the main landing gear wells and figure the engine would be in the way.

A few cockpit views...

IMAG1534.jpg

IMAG1533.jpg

IMAG1531.jpg

IMAG1536.jpg

And a view of the tail and belly scoop exhaust area.

IMAG1529.jpg

I am still on the fence regarding lowering the flaps, but at any rate that huge gap has to be fixed, as the flap gets tucked under the wing root fairing....

• 2 months later...

Well its been a lonnnnngggggg time since I updated this thread. I kinda set this aside, then I got busy at work, but a few weeks ago I spent a Sunday doing some work in the wheel well areas.

Here is my sketch of the bulkheads/formers and the pieces I had to make.

IMAG1738.jpg

And a few in progress pics...

IMAG1741.jpg

IMAG1740.jpg

Thanks for looking in, hope to accomplish a bit more in the next week or two.

I have no intention of getting real carried away with wires, lines, ect., but will add some so the wells dont look so bare.

Oh, and note the absence of flaps. I will display this one parked, flaps, elevators and clam shell doors down.

Edited by xmh53wrench