1/48 Monogram A-10A Warthog

Howdy folks, :wave:

Here's my other recent build. This time it's the Monogram Hog fully rescribed/riveted with a full meal deal treatment and some scratch. BlackBox, Verlinden, Flightpath, Eduard, Sierra Hotel inlets and board ladder, Royal Resin wheels, Hasegawa weapons, SuperScale decals & Reheat RBF tags. The DRA and the LAU-68 rocket launchers were scratch built and I also dropped the flaps and closed the decelerons. Needless to say this was a BEAST to build and probably the most challenging project I've done so far. I brought it to the IPMS Nats in Orlando Florida last month and it was awarded 1st place, Best Aircraft and Best Sharkmouth subject. I only posted 3 shots because it's also appearing in Sept's issue of Tamiya Model Magazine - issue 203. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the pics and thanks for looking.

Best Regards,

Cyrus

P1010094_zps6f9ca1f9.jpg

P1010106_zps9d849081.jpg

P1010100_zps498664b0.jpg

I too saw this at the Nats. It is a truly flawless build. Cyrus, can you tell us a little bit more about the decals? They almost look like dry transfers. The black star and stripes in particular, what kind of setting solution did you use and how did you lose the thickness of the decal? It just seems like there is no decal film. Just to make it more specific: My issue is usually not with the decal conforming to the panel lines, setting solutions typically work well. However, for decals applied to a perfectly flat surface (no rivets or panel lines), sometimes I find it difficult to 'melt' the decal onto the surface, I usually end up with some slight thickness.

Your rescribing is incredible. I am now studying your Monogram F-18 build (http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=117808&st=0). Lots and lots of great tips! Thanks for sharing it all with us.

I like my build better. I built this a few years back out of that crappy Tamiya kit, and as you can see everything is true to scale. I custom mixed the colors true to scale as well, and all the markings are hand painted.

air_446a_001.jpg

Edited by fulcrum1

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I appreciate it.

Cyrus, can you tell us a little bit more about the decals? They almost look like dry transfers. The black star and stripes in particular, what kind of setting solution did you use and how did you lose the thickness of the decal? It just seems like there is no decal film. Just to make it more specific: My issue is usually not with the decal conforming to the panel lines, setting solutions typically work well. However, for decals applied to a perfectly flat surface (no rivets or panel lines), sometimes I find it difficult to 'melt' the decal onto the surface, I usually end up with some slight thickness.

Janissary - Those are decals. I use MicroSol in the red bottle to conform the decals in those tough spots then I shoot a coat of Future to blend the decal to the surrounding surfaces. Works like a charm. Give it a try and see how it works for you. Btw, It was nice meeting you in Orlando.

I like my build better. I built this a few years back out of that crappy Tamiya kit, and as you can see everything is true to scale. I custom mixed the colors true to scale as well, and all the markings are hand painted.

Fulcrum - I'm a bit confused. What's the point of your post? Your A-10 is very nice indeed, but why not start another thread and show us more of your brilliant work? Close up shots would be great. I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Cyrus

Edited by Cyrus Tan

Fulcrum - I'm a bit confused. What's the point of your post? Your A-10 is very nice indeed, but why not start another thread and show us more of your brilliant work? Close up shots would be great. I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Cyrus

It was sarcasm, that's a real A-10...meaning your build is perfect. I guess it wasn't obvious!

Thanks for the praise fellas! I'm glad you're enjoying the model.

It was sarcasm, that's a real A-10...meaning your build is perfect. I guess it wasn't obvious!
Thanks Fulcrum! Boy... you had me fooled there ^_^ . Btw, there's a smily for that :sarcasm_on:
:worship: ...Nuf said...

Thanks Chris! That means a lot coming from you my friend!

wow, that is truly amazing....making my hands itch to try out my 1/32 scale.

Love the array of weapons and that gun!!

Thanks Shan! Yeah... I have the Trump kit in my stash too. That sucker is huge!

Cyrus

Very nice indeed. I too love the paint job. I know this is not in the critique corner, but I hope you won't mind me saying...don't those raised rivets (around wing root/above ladder) look little large for that scale? Other then this totally awesome.

Mike

Thanks Shan! Yeah... I have the Trump kit in my stash too. That sucker is huge!

Cyrus

Yeap Cyrus...its such a work of art that huge box and resin engines...and loads and loads of weapons....i am at a lost if i should build it or to commit it to my "collection".

Even the 1/32 Su27 box is not as huge...

anyways..........hope to see your 1/32 scale a10 sometime soon.

best of luck and lots of fun....

Cyrus, this has always been a badass looking aircraft! If at all possible, you just made it look that much better (but I'd already told you that =) Since I've started back up, I get to break one of those out of my stash and get to have some fun again, but now I have some great pics to study some ideas off of! Keep at it cause I love the inspiration dude!!

Very nice indeed. I too love the paint job. I know this is not in the critique corner, but I hope you won't mind me saying...don't those raised rivets (around wing root/above ladder) look little large for that scale? Other then this totally awesome.

Mike

That's fine. Thanks for the feedback Mike. That's probably the only thing I would have done differently. If I were to do it all over again, I probably would use the rivet decals from Archer Fine transfers for the whole model. Problem is when I learned about them, I had already finished about 80% of the riveting. Bad timing I suppose?

What kind of panel line wash did you use for this project if you don't mind me asking?

scapilot - I normally use a mix of oil paint and lighter fluid, but for this model I used a mixed of MIG pigment with turpenoid. The one thing I like about this MIG stuff is the pigment doesn't seperate as easily as oil do and it dries much faster. HTH?

Yeap Cyrus...its such a work of art that huge box and resin engines...and loads and loads of weapons....i am at a lost if i should build it or to commit it to my "collection".

Even the 1/32 Su27 box is not as huge...

anyways..........hope to see your 1/32 scale a10 sometime soon.

best of luck and lots of fun....

Shan - Probably not anytime soon. The SU-27 is a monster too!

Cyrus, this has always been a badass looking aircraft! If at all possible, you just made it look that much better (but I'd already told you that =) Since I've started back up, I get to break one of those out of my stash and get to have some fun again, but now I have some great pics to study some ideas off of! Keep at it cause I love the inspiration dude!!

Thanks bro! I'll try. I'm glad to have inspired you as you have inspired me in the past and it's nice to know your building again. Btw, if you want to see the models in person I'm bringing them to Orangecon in a few weeks. Come on by... let's catch up on things. Wardog will be there too! :D

Thanks everyone!

Cyrus