Packing models for long distance moving

Hey guys,

I thought I'd show how I packed my models for a long distance move (across the Atlantic) since they survived the trip almost unscathed. I've actually done the transatlantic move twice now, the first time I didn't pack the models very well and my entire collection (1/48 back then) was wiped out.

I took pics while unpacking, so this is reverse chronological...

First off, I labelled them clearly and with a pic of what's inside the box. My theory with the pic is that it may entice some empathy in whoever may handle the box, including customs officials.

DSCN2755.jpg

While in Charlotte I knew somebody in the packaging industry and had the cardboard boxes custom made. Key is to get boxes that are big enough such that there is plenty of space around the model. I had double-walled boxes made for extra protection but that was probably overkill.

DSCN2754.jpg

Now for some more detail. I packed an outer layer of bubble wrap in there, then a layer of foam.

DSCN2771.jpg

Once those layers were in, I sprinkled some of those "chips" around and then placed the model on the foam, after which I filled up the entire inside with styrofoam chips.

DSCN2772.jpg

And there you go, all safely in the display cabinet... except for the Mirage.

DSCN2762.jpg

This all of course took a lot of time but since I spend between 1 and 2 years on a model, it's worth it I think. Plus, once the packaging is done, it can be used again... good thing, since we unfortunately move around all the time.

Marcel

Well, don't have any pictures but from my experience foam rubber works very well. The packing involves some cutting but it shouldn't be too precise. I put one layer of uncut foam rubber at the box bottom and fill the box layer by layer cutting them to leave space for the model. I also make sure that the model rests on the wings as otherwise the landing gear will break. This way the styrofoam pellets mess is avoided.

I've moved a lot in my life. Like, really a lot. I've found that marking anything 'fragile' just means they toss it underhand rather than overhand. As for customs, well, I drove through a small part of Maine while driving out to Nova Scotia and I had four of my more 'prized' models all packed up in boxes in the back of the truck. The woman at customs made me open them all and then stand back while she dug her hand around in the foam peanuts.

Once those layers were in, I sprinkled some of those "chips" around and then placed the model on the foam, after which I filled up the entire inside with styrofoam chips.

Just don't leave them packed that way for too long. I had some models stored that way and some of the foam peanuts had melted onto the paint ruining the models. IIRC they had been stored for about a year, indoors at room temperature.

Well, don't have any pictures but from my experience foam rubber works very well.

Again, I'd use caution about what particular foam rubber you use and how long you store them. I made a wooden fixture and lined it with a black weather seal foam tape and it ended up leaving black marks on a model that had been stored long term.

Because of these experiences I now wrap any models that I plan to transport or store in tissue before adding any foam around them.

:cheers:

Off topic

Thats a sweet display case!! where did you get it??

The woman at customs made me open them all and then stand back while she dug her hand around in the foam peanuts.

Does she still have a had ?? next time drop a coupple of razor blades in there might make the search more gentel. Hope she didnt break too many things

Again, I'd use caution about what particular foam rubber you use and how long you store them. I made a wooden fixture and lined it with a black weather seal foam tape and it ended up leaving black marks on a model that had been stored long term.

The longest storage period been about 5.5 months so far but I used the same boxes/foam set for 7 years now with last move just 2.5 months ago (crossed border 3 times in these 7 years, USA->Russia->Israel->USA). The foam shows no sign of degradation or any other sort of damage, just some change of color. The foam is a green one from Jo-Anns.

Edited by Helmsman

Regarding the styrofoam packaging, I had my models stored for about two years, mostly in a cool basement. Didnt see any adhesion to paint but noticed on two models that the styrofoam stuck slightly to the Future coated cockpit canopies... so yes, in future I wont leave the models packed like this for very long.

Regarding the display cabinet, after spening countless hours online searching for a cabinet deep enough to accomodate the 1/32 Flanker, I finally succumbed and threw money at the whole problem and had that cabinet custom made in Germany (http://www.stilnet-design.de/vitrinen2.html). Apart from being large, I wanted a cabinet that was glass-only i.e. with no framing to interfere with looking at the models.

:cheers:

Marcel

I was going to suggest carefully split all the seams open and lay the parts out leaving sufficient room between each, then using some plastic rod build an oblong around the parts and using off cuts attach all the parts to each other and the framework, in fact to save typing framework, I will simply refer to it as a sprue, one ŷou have assembled each sprue, it might be an idea to number each part, so cut some sprue sections, number them and glue them adjacent to each part, you could then draw up a plan so you can reverse the process, such as glue 12 to 17 etc..., once you have assembled all these sprues, you can seal them in a plastic bag to keep the dust off them then pack it all in a low box for shipping.......

Simple :)

Edited by TonyT