MiG-29 1/48 GWH

The kit looks pretty amazing in the box, I'm curious how well is it going to go together.

Kit wheel wells compared against Aires. Front well is a little shorter, main bays look a little shallower.

m_01_01_zpse570cde2.jpg

m_01_02_zpsecf5991d.jpg

m_01_03_zps7405c2db.jpg

m_01_04_zpsbdb318bf.jpg

m_01_05_zpsa444e7ab.jpg

m_01_06_zps22837ce4.jpg

Wow, I had a spark of hope to use at least some of my expensive resin/PE stuff - but where? (ok, maybe the seat, but the Aires is not an alternative). I can't find anything than nitpicking (typing error in russian stencils).

Edited by Floggerman

Hi ch9862,

Nice photos, thanks for them. I am not sure that the Aires should be taken as a 100% standard, rather compare it to the original. But it shows well that the injection molding of the GWH gives details equal to a resin cast items.

Best regards

Gabor

I am not sure that the Aires should be taken as a 100% standard, rather compare it to the original.

No MiG-expert or anything, but I was thinking the same. Details (tons of it!) are always nice, but that doesn't mean they're also accurate.

Anyway, I'm absolutely stunned at the sight of those plastic pieces. The comparison to the resin set is well thought :thumbsup:

I'm just a bit upset the kit didn't make quite make it to be readily available for this Christmas... But then, there's always next year('s Easter) :D

...amazing plastic :wub:

No MiG-expert or anything, but I was thinking the same. Details (tons of it!) are always nice, but that doesn't mean they're also accurate.

Hi

Agreed !

To be totally valid one needs to compare the kit part to the real thing to gauge its accuracy.

Regardless, thanks for the pics of the kits details. It looks to be years ahead of the old Academy offering.

T

Pretty impressive. Can't help but noticed a few spelling errors in the stencils, some are quite funny.

There are a few, but in many cases it is due to lack or mixing up of Cyrillic font as with almost all Russian decals made in the West (or East in this case). A spelling error is far less of a problem than when you see a completely meaningless newsprint cut out used as a stencil as seen with many kit and decal manufacturers. What is presented in the GWH kit is almost perfect!!! I like it!

Come on ch9862, lets have some more of those (technically perfect) photos of the plastic!

Best regards

Gabor

P.s. Just a short note on spelling errors: Hungary received back three Mi-17 helicopters from overhaul in Russia. They had full Hungarian stenciling but reading them was real fun! Full of spelling errors and it wasn't a plastic kit but the real helicopter! So . . .

Edited by ya-gabor

...amazing plastic :wub:/>/>

They make their stuff fit the specific kit, so knowing how iffy Academy's take on dimensions was, Aires may not be such a pinnacle of accuracy to compare dimensions to after all. However, detail wise Aires got corrugated shear panels right and GWH didn't.

Edited by K-5

Tiny update today, am waiting for IP to dry before putting all those instrument decals on.

I'm not making any statements about accuracy, I was struck by how nice the details are.

I took a photo of the pylon for R-73. Top to bottom: kit part, Eduard, Plus Model and Fru Fru.

m_05_01_zps9cf21797.jpg

I started with mine as well, awsome detail!

Couple of things that put me of:

Sprue joints: some are really uncomfortable and oddly placed.

Intake and engine cover. At least in my case the fit is a bit triky. I'm going engines closed so in order to get a good fit I had to cement one half of the intake to the engine cover, then do the other half.

How was yours?

I love the amount of detail here (and I am speaking of the plastic not the resin). Are there other manufacturers giving anything similar to this in injection moulded kits?

I don't know as I'm not interested by subjects covered by Tamiya for example but I wonder what the guys at Tamiya or Eduard think about the GWH kit. "Yeah very nice but will you guys be able to continue making 'complete' (outstanding engineering and details level, great accuracy) kits ?"

Are there other manufacturers giving anything similar to this in injection moulded kits?

Seen any of the Tamiya 1/32 Zero, Spitfire, or P-51 kits? Yes, other manufacturers are doing this. GWH's effort is outstanding, to be sure, but not unique by any stretch of the imagination.

Seen any of the Tamiya 1/32 Zero, Spitfire, or P-51 kits? Yes, other manufacturers are doing this. GWH's effort is outstanding, to be sure, but not unique by any stretch of the imagination.

What about Tamiya 1/48 kits?