HU-16 Albatross decals

With the Trumpeter 1/48 Albatross kit on the horizon, I have been working on some Albatross decals for the last few weeks. I will wait until I see the kit decals to finalize the contents of my sheet(s); but here are some samples. I realize that the Trumpeter kit will be a SA-16A and a SA-16B is not likely to appear very soon; but I will draw some SA-16B options for a future release. Meanwhile, I may end up using the SA-16B markings for a 1/72 sheet. Is there a 1/72 SA-16A kit or a conversion set for the old Monogram mold?

albatross_promo1.jpg

Kursad,

There was an article in the November 2004 Fine Scale magazine that detailed the conversion of a 1/72 Monogram SA-16B to an SA-16A. I have it in a Word document if you'd like it. It looks like a fairly straightforward and easy conversion.

John

This is the one I would like to see in decal form in 1/48. From the official RCAF site.

Yeah, yeah I know. You and a bazillion other Canadian modellers. I will wait until the release of the kit to show everything I have drawn so far, but it's a safe bet that I took the time to draw artwork for most of the significant users of the type.

Edited by KursadA

Hi Kursad, great news. You must love the Japanese markings because you always seem to have something along those lines in several of your releases. Not that I am complaining, far from it. I think it is great since there does not seem to be many decal producers releasing decals for that nation's aircraft. Love it, love it, love it. :yahoo:

I had read somewhere that Trumpeter will be doing the B in a future release and I hope that comes true. However, having said that I hope I can find the kit at a better price that the $134.95 that I have seen listed for it. Still cheaper than the resin version I guess but more than a Hasegawa 1/48 F-18? Wow!

Oh and count me in as one of the bazillion Canadians that would like the markings for the RCAF aircraft.

This is the one I would like to see in decal form in 1/48. From the official RCAF site.

albatr1.jpg

Me too. But we'll have to wait for the HU-16B release as that is what the CSR-110's were based on. The HU-16B's were a larger airframe - wingspan, fuselage, vertical fin... There is also the issue of the Wright R-1820-82 engine installation in the CSR-110 - a noticeably larger, bulged cowling with a scoop on top. The CSR-110's also carried additional antenna on both sides of the fuselage just below the cockpit, visible just above the "S" in RESCUE in the photo in your link. An aftermarket tri-phib kit might be interesting,too.

Tom

Edited by Tom

No interior, no nose well, toy-like landing gear that retracts , covered with rivets, no engraved panels, bad props and bad engines.

And most difficult (impossible?) to fix error is that the undercamber on the lower wing surfaces isn't molded in at all...

-Derek

I didn't even knew that there was going to be 1/48 Albatross coming. I would love to see someone do RedBull one. I saw he at Edward AFB few years ago and from the photos I have it looks like it it only carried big Red Bull on both side of the nose and rest of it was all polished alum....sick. These days that means good btw ;)

• 3 months later...

The Trumpeter Albatross is now available; and I should have my kit in a couple of days. My designs are already finished - I will choose from the 10-12 UH-16A/UF-1 schemes I designed; do some fit checks and announce the first sheet not so long afterwards.

Edited by KursadA

Any hopes of a Portuguese Albatross version? Portugal had at one time four SA-16A machines (SAR schemes very similar to what the US used) which were supplied by the USA under the "Azores Airbase" agreement.

PS - It seems I cannot post pictures... :mellow:/>

The Portugueses do not like to help but are the first to complain.

But who´s complaining? I just asked about the possibility of including a Portuguese option... Also, I could never had guessed that you had already done the same.

I recently came across this photo which could be good enough for me; if I can get some help with color information. An international sheet is still some time away, though; I have to address the US market first.

Edited by KursadA