AMK will release a MiG-31!

This does look exciting! I've never built an AMK before. How do they usually go together?

Perhaps because they only started last year? :) Here are some shots of their recently released Kfir model: http://www.spruemaster.com/blog/2013/08/iai-kfir-amk/

I've been waiting for a long time for an affordable MiG-31 kit in 1/48 so I hope they'll do it justice. Though, I expected Kitty Hawk to do it if their MiG-25 sells well. I don't know if they had planned to actually do one, but if they did, I wonder if this release would change their minds as this seems like a rather niche market. I hope they still do so we're not stuck with only one option in case this kit doesn't cut it.

I have been offering the suggestions, advice and material and i can say they are receiving it extremely well. They clearly have interest to make the best and most accurate product they can. :thumbsup:

I noticed that although captions on their FB site said "MiG-31BM" none of the CAD's actually showed BM. I provided them with list of changes that need to be done in order for it to be BM, and they will do those changes. Also, there will be full intakes, none of that silly "black hole" stuff. :thumbsup:

Anyway, here are some ARC exclusive (for now) CAD shots that i have been allowed to share. Feel free to point out any "mistakes", but be sure to check against pictures just in case before you post them here. I have pointed out a few things already on them, areas with red lines. If anyone want "clean" versions without any red lines PM me.

15gb1og.jpg

20qygdw.jpg

152kfi9.jpg

I have been offering the suggestions, advice and material and i can say they are receiving it extremely well. They clearly have interest to make the best and most accurate product they can. 70.gif

Yeehaa !banana.gif

I have been offering the suggestions, advice and material and i can say they are receiving it extremely well. They clearly have interest to make the best and most accurate product they can. :thumbsup:/>

I noticed that although captions on their FB site said "MiG-31BM" none of the CAD's actually showed BM. I provided them with list of changes that need to be done in order for it to be BM, and they will do those changes. Also, there will be full intakes, none of that silly "black hole" stuff. :thumbsup:/>

Anyway, here are some ARC exclusive (for now) CAD shots that i have been allowed to share. Feel free to point out any "mistakes", but be sure to check against pictures just in case before you post them here. I have pointed out a few things already on them, areas with red lines. If anyone want "clean" versions without any red lines PM me.

GO Berkut :cheers:

I have been offering the suggestions, advice and material and i can say they are receiving it extremely well. They clearly have interest to make the best and most accurate product they can. :thumbsup:/>

That sounds great (was concerned that in aiming to get there first, the accuracy might get severely compromised). Looking forward to see some test shots in future and hoping that there will be a plain B variant, too.

One will be able to make B, BM and DZ out of the box. (although i am personally not sure about visual differences between B and DZ, feel free to educate me here) If one want to make earlier MiG-31, roughly speaking one would only need to remove refuel probe.

Currently in RuAF there are none B's left, all have been converted to BM's. Next up are BS' i believe. Not sure if they plan to update DZ's to BM.

But maybe my approach to this is all wrong? :) Maybe i should have just sat on my hands and thought "I am sure everything will turn out just fine and dandy" as certain members here like to suggest. :D :monkeydance:

Edited by Berkut
One will be able to make B, BM and DZ out of the box. (although i am personally not sure about visual differences between B and DZ, feel free to educate me here) If one want to make earlier MiG-31, roughly speaking one would only need to remove refuel probe.

Never heard of the DZ before, but a quick check mentions that the MiG-31DZ is an incorrect designation for the initial variant fitted with a refueling probe (the name coming from factory designation izdeliye 01DZ). Is this the variant you were referring to?

Edited by ijozic

No, DZ is very much real.

Basically versions are as following chronology wise:

Vanilla MiG-31

MiG-31DZ - first version with refuel probe.

MiG-31B - with IFR and updated radar systems due to a certain spy leaking sensitive information. Like PD update on MiG-25.

MiG-31BS - the already in service vanilla MiG-31's updated to B standard radar wise. Refuel probe was not fitted. Think of it as MiG-25PDS update.

MiG-31BM - modernized MiG-31B's. BS' due to be modernized to that standard too, as noted previously.

Thanks, but I know the differences between the MiG-31 variants already. What I was trying to say is that, from what I've read, the "MiG-31DZ" designation doesn't exist and that the variant is designated as "MiG-31" only, too (but Izdeliye 01DZ, compared to the Izdeliye 01 for the basic non-refueling variant).

Edited by ijozic

Thanks, but I know the differences between the MiG-31 variants already. What I was trying to say is that, from what I've read, the "MiG-31DZ" designation doesn't exist and that the variant is designated as "MiG-31" only, too (but Izdeliye 01DZ, compared to the Izdeliye 01 for the basic non-refueling variant).

Ah right, understood. I am not sure about the actual MiG designation. Either way even if MiG-31DZ is wrong it is easier to use as it is more precise than saying MiG-31.

I see your point. Do you perhaps know some details on the cockpit or which weapons will be included with the kit (like e.g. R-40TD or Aphids on dual launch rails)? Though, with the MiG-25 kit coming next month, there should be some aftermarket options for those if nothing else.

Berkut, thank you!

Ask them to do the MiG-25R family next. :woot.gif:/>

If i am honest i think there is no point in trying doing another new tool Foxbat now. I am certain that AMK would have done a more accurate Foxbat than what KH has done. (i hope no one has problem with me saying that; as no one would have a problem if i said Tamiya makes better kits than Trumpeter ;))

And KH is clearly going to do recon versions.

I see your point. Do you perhaps know some details on the cockpit or which weapons will be included with the kit (like e.g. R-40TD or Aphids on dual launch rails)? Though, with the MiG-25 kit coming next month, there should be some aftermarket options for those if nothing else.

I will ask about R-40TD's and R-60's to be sure, but preliminary answer is: yes, they will be included along with very possibly R-73's. Cockpit wise i don't know the situation, it is possibly too early to tell as you might see from the CADs, shapes are there but detailwork is lacking at this point.

And the CAD's are still open to critique. I will post a few more later today. :cheers:

As of now: early next year.

Why as a Foxbat nut am I so much more excited about this than the KH MiG-25? I'll assume Begemot will make the leap and upsize one or both of their 1/72 MiG-31 sheets to go with this kit. Artwork is already done, right? And who doesn't want an Orca whale on the intake of their Foxhound? I want it!

Cheers,

Dave

This has to be the best news I've seen in years. One of my all time fav aircraft in 1/48 at last.

Agreed, though there was that CA resin kit, but it cost an arm and a leg and had some issues. And it doesn't seem to be that far away from the release.

Edited by ijozic