AMK will release a MiG-31!

Is there any external difference between the MiG-31 and MiG-31BM? Just wondering because some photos that get posted on Airliners.net and other sites are calling jets MiG-31 when I think they're probably BMs but don't know how to tell for sure.

Why as a Foxbat nut am I so much more excited about this than the KH MiG-25?

Cheers,

Dave

I know exactly why Dave, i know exactly why... ;)

I think Andrey has talked about doing another revision of MiG-31 decals, this time including new MiG-31BM borts that got name on them. See here.

Is there any external difference between the MiG-31 and MiG-31BM? Just wondering because some photos that get posted on Airliners.net and other sites are calling jets MiG-31 when I think they're probably BMs but don't know how to tell for sure.

The quickest and easiest way to tell difference between BM and non BM is by looking at pylons and/or "triangle" above the front canopy. BM got new pylons because it can carry R-73's now.

BM:

120118.jpg

Not BM:

110036.jpg

There is more to it, but that is the quick version.

Is there any external difference between the MiG-31 and MiG-31BM?

I *think* (but I'm sure to be corrected if wrong) the following can be used to externally distinguish a MiG-31BM from a standard MiG-31:

- small triangle on front canopy

- different underwing pylons able to carry R-73's

- blade antenna on the underside of the fuselage

- small GPS antenna on the upper fuselage

In addition, on the internal side of things the cockpits are modernized as well.

MiG-31BM: http://russianplanes.net/id118864

MiG-31: http://russianplanes.net/id119304

HTH,

Andre

If i am honest i think there is no point in trying doing another new tool Foxbat now. I am certain that AMK would have done a more accurate Foxbat than what KH has done. (i hope no one has problem with me saying that; as no one would have a problem if i said Tamiya makes better kits than Trumpeter ;)/>/>)

And KH is clearly going to do recon versions.

Yeah, just saw the KH MiG-25R, so I'll cease & desist.

Next question is, which wonderful, world-historical model company will do an accurate Flagon?? :woot.gif:/>

Hello, my name is Anton, and i do not look like this :)/>:

Genie_KHREC.png

True story. I would appreciate if this thread was wishing-free-thread. If anyone wants to post wishes, i suggest starting own thread. Or contacting a kit maker.

Thanks.

Edited by Berkut

Next question is, which wonderful, world-historical model company will do an accurate Flagon??

From your mouth to God's ear! The Trumpeter Flagons are so utterly and completely awful it makes me physically sick.

True story. I would appreciate if this thread was wishing-free-thread. If anyone wants to post wishes, i suggest starting own thread. Or contacting a kit maker.

Thanks.

I know you're a heavy hitter here, and deeply appreciate your knowledge and expertise... but is "no wishing" truly a rule on this forum? Really, just a friendly question. Sorry to annoy. :)/>

Friendly answer:

No, it's not a rule. But what usually happens here is when some new product is announced, many people will start posting their wishes in the thread, as if the new product is not enough. This happens all the time, and it ticks some people off. I understand people can get excited, but I do understand Berkut's point here.

:)

Friendly answer:

No, it's not a rule. But what usually happens here is when some new product is announced, many people will start posting their wishes in the thread, as if the new product is not enough. This happens all the time, and it ticks some people off. I understand people can get excited, but I do understand Berkut's point here.

:)/>

Well yeah, okay that makes sense. I blame my noob-ness.

When you know these kit makers are reading your posts, it's extremely... tempting... to pull out the wish list on 'em. But since it's a point of etiquette, I'll try to refrain.

The CAD pictures look great! I hope they do not provide engines or other IMHO "gimmicky" features. Just an accurate model. I have my eye set on a Kazach MiG-31 with AA-6's looks great!!

Do you perhaps know some details on the cockpit or which weapons will be included with the kit (like e.g. R-40TD or Aphids on dual launch rails)?

Confirmed, the kit will include R-33's, R-40's, R-60's and R-73's. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

^No.

As to updates;

Boxart is coming a long (a picture of BM) and i have noted a few things in the front view which will hopefully be corrected. They are very busy with CM 170. Appears rivets has been added atleast some places so it is coming along. No idea about the current timeline for release.

Nope. R-37 died together with MiG-31M, which was the only carrier of it.

R-37M (also known as RVV-BD) is slated to eventually be used on MiG-31BM's along with Su-35S and possibly Su-30SM, but when that will happen, no one knows.

Ok, so I guess this website is wrong then?

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Foxbat-Foxhound-92.html

Brad

Nope. R-37 died together with MiG-31M, which was the only carrier of it.

R-37M (also known as RVV-BD) is slated to eventually be used on MiG-31BM's along with Su-35S and possibly Su-30SM, but when that will happen, no one knows.