Italeri 1/48 Westland Wessex HAS.3

Hi all!

I’ve started a new project and thought I would share it here. At the moment I’m working on Italeri’s Wessex after

I felt I needed to take a break from my Phanthom build. The plan is to make an abandoned RAF rescue bird in all over yellow.

The reason I choose to model an abandoned chopper is partly because I enjoy weathering but also because I want to avoid painting

a gloss yellow scheme :P/> . So here are some pics, added some entirely fictional interior detail but I must say I enjoy the scratch building process,

wiring is styrene strips and tape. The next step is to add some leaves and a couple of beer bottles and close it all up.

h2q.JPG

7z1e.jpg

cy1j.jpg

gmvt.jpg

8mw2.jpg

hkpr.jpg

sdel.jpg

Hope you like it and please comment, cheers :wave:/> !

Jakob

Thanks!

The italeri kit really are awesome. I must admit i think the HU.5 looks better as the 4 exhaust pipes of the HAS.3 really looks

kind of stupid but my LHS only had the HAS.3 so. Good luck with your build and check in for more progress soon

Another little update! First of the kit is little of a mixed blessing the interior looks great with a little work and the fit of the interior in the fuselage halves are great. The fit of the two fuselage halves are however a different story and the panel lines and rivet detail is gone in some places but that’s nothing you can’t work around. I have just finished the interior and I added some more weathering, leaves and there are also some cigarettes in there if you look closely. So here are the pics for your enjoyment, please comment:

2x8u.jpg

jyni.jpg

pq1h.jpg

2ryd.jpg

ik5e.jpg

yep.JPG

ljxu.jpg

Cheers

Jakob

• 1 month later...

So, long time no speak!

I've made some progress on the Wessex that I thought I'd share. Since last time I’ve closed the fuselage halves and added all the exterior detail. I also puttied, sanded and all that. After that came the fun part. First I primed the whole thing and after that it was given 5 maybe 6 coats of Tamiya yellow. Decals followed and now I’m at the weathering stage. By the way try to find the misspelled decal :D.

ndxq.JPG

xtnn.jpg

i9cx.jpg

ubz4.jpg

2cvt.jpg

h96d.jpg

kf06.jpg

f1ie.jpg

avux.jpg

Comments are as always welcome!

Jakob

Great work so far Jakob, shes looking awesome. Not sure if you know already but XT257 was in fact an ex RN Wessex painted up as an RAF Rescue Wessex and now resides as a Museum piece - the RAF never operated the HAS.Mk3

Thanks all of you for the kind comments.

@Gary:

I'm aware of the fact that it is a museum piece, me and some guys over at IPMS Stockholm figured that out. The thought from the beginning was to put on some worn concrete depicting a forgotten part of an airfield. As this will no longer work I thought I would do it standing on a closed down museum rotting away with a rusty sign next to it. Wouldn’t that but be more accurate and look cool?

Jakob

Edited by J8kob_F