Here's my 2nd MiG-23 (after the BN), based on Trumpy's 48 scale "M" kit (the "MF" kit would do the same job as there is only one different part, the canopy). The conversion set is from Neomega-Resin. The quality is high as usual, but it was not an easy build. Additionally I used Eduard (splitter plates, FOD cover, antennas) and Aires wheel wells as well as Quickboost scoops and pitot tube. I tried to correct some of Trumpy's well known mistakes like the front gear steering, front wheel hubs and the rudder damper. To correct the complete misshapen main gear was beyond my abilities...

The original served in the GDR airforce, 9th Fighter Squadron at Peenemuende AB in 1982. I left Peenemuende in April 1982, so I had no chance to see this bird. The gray painting was very soon replaced by the common camouflage, so there are only a few pictures.

Hope you like it. Next will be the MF....

DSC_0302_zps8ccba333.jpg

DSC_0307_zps55ca40ab.jpg

DSC_0304_zps1ea6ed4f.jpg

DSC_0305_zpsfb476d54.jpg

DSC_0308_zpsd89a4511.jpg

DSC_0309_zps6d2eb1aa.jpg

Edited by Floggerman

It looks quite good from where I'm standing :thumbsup:

Could you please come back shortly to the main gear issue? What is the problem there? Does the plane sit to low? I wouldn't say it shows from your pictures.

And all those years I thought there was only one shade that made up this grey scheme. But there's an upper and lower colour... :doh:

It looks quite good from where I'm standing :thumbsup:/>

Could you please come back shortly to the main gear issue? What is the problem there? Does the plane sit to low? I wouldn't say it shows from your pictures.

And all those years I thought there was only one shade that made up this grey scheme. But there's an upper and lower colour... :doh:/>

This is the only reference I found. The quality is poor but the different color on upper and lower surface can be seen.

109_Peenemuumlmde_zpsefa76528.jpg

The problem with the gear is that the suspension arm is far too long so the impression from the side is wrong. Second problem is that the main actuator is too long. If you just cut it, the whole geometry becomes wrong. Reason is that Trumpeter designed the gear for the ML for all variants (same on 32 scale). It's not easy to describe but I made measurements on the original and found a lot of inaccuracies. I had adjust the sit, but it was quite difficult and only a compromise...

I'd recomend some weathering. True the pic doesn't show much but its a fuzzy pic at a greater distance. Regardless of accuracy, a wash adds a lt of visual interest.

The window frames stick out. Try some decals on the next build?

Overall model airframe looks really good. Also the red ladder, intake & exhaust coverings add a lot of nice color contrast.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I'd recomend some weathering. True the pic doesn't show much but its a fuzzy pic at a greater distance. Regardless of accuracy, a wash adds a lt of visual interest.

The window frames stick out. Try some decals on the next build?

Thank you for your comments. I don't like the window frames too but somehow I want to become ready... :whistle:

Concerning weathering, I'm agree in general but this plane flow only a few month in this gray scheme, so I don't want push it too hard.

• 4 weeks later...