Inbox review: 1/72 Hasegawa F-15K Slam Eagle

Hello there!

Just got my hands on the new Hasegawa 1/72 F-15K “Slam Eagle” Mudhen kit.

Hase72_F-15K1_zps44cf0356.jpg

I pre-ordered the kit from HobbyLinkJapan with the intention of converting it to a Singaporean F-15SG because I’m a patriotic Singaporean Singapore-01-june.gif :lol:. But looking at the sprues of this kit, it looks like I may not have to do the conversion. Read on & you’ll soon see why.

First off, the kit contains the standard new mold F-15E Strike Eagle parts (kit E39) with the exception of sprue M of the F-15E kit ( sprue M contains the 2 x CFT forward-most outer pylons for the F-15E). The new sprues added to the F-15K kit are sprues S & Q.

S:Hase72_F-15K3_zpsfb9a4be3.jpg

Q: Hase72_F-15K4_zpsbef79e6b.jpg

Sprue S contains the GE F110 exhausts that the initial batch of F-15Ks were fitted with ( they have since switched back to the PW engines). Since the PW engines are also included in this particular kit, one could also build the PW fitted F-15Ks. Strangely though, Hasegawa instructions say the PW engines provided are “Parts Not For Use”. They clearly intended this kit to be the earlier batch of Korean Eagles. If you want to be rebellious & build a later Slam Eagle, you can ignore the instructions & use the PW engines.

As for the included GE exhausts they look quite nice but a bit too simplistic especially on the insides.

Hase72_F-15K7_zps0c5ad97a.jpg

Not much details there. In fact, Hase's F-14D Tomcats, which were released much earlier, had better looking GE engine petal exterior. A business opportunity for aftermarket companies, perhaps? (Oi, Aires/Quickboost, I’m looking at you!)

To be cont'd..

Cont'd...

Sprue Q contains the parts that are specific to the later export Mudhens, ie the longer outer pylons that are attached to the CFTs and a very nicely detailed TIGER EYE IRST sensor (see above post for the Tiger Eye parts).

Hase72_F-15K6_zps339e9d5d.jpg

Also included in this sprue are the 2 x tail antennas to be attached to the fin tops as the Korean & Singaporean Eagles have a different shaped bullet-antennas than the regular Mudhens. Some minor surgery is needed to attach these as the instructions call for cutting off the molded tailtop antennas and attaching these newer ones.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, my intention was to convert this kit to a Singaporean F-15SG by scratchbuilding the SG-specific parts (the triangular antennas next to the canopy, a couple of small antenna bumps on the top fuselage, a smaller scoop above the bigger auxiliary scoop along the CFT and the longer tail-end antennas on both sides of the exhaust area). Also I was going to use the excellent Miliverse decals :

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10235299/

http://www.miliverse.com/index.html

But upon examining F-15K-specific sprues from the kit, I was pleasantly surprised to see this printed on the sprue’s edge:

Hase72_F-15K5_zps170d0e19.jpg

That’s right folks, it looks as if Hasegawa has plans to release a Singaporean Strike Eagle ( Woo Hoo!). I just hope they get the SG-specific parts correct and not simply re-box the F-15K kit with RSAF decals. (That’s REPUBLIC of Singapore Air Force…not ROYAL Singapore Air Force as some folks have wrongly identified. We’re not a kingdom….even if some of the women here expect to be treated like Queens..heh!)

So I think I’ll just wait for the eventual release of the F-15SG kit. However, I’m still planning to use the Miliverse decals as I’m pretty sure they’re miles ahead of anything Hasegawa will provide in their kit.

Oh, almost forgot; here's what the Slam Eagle decal sheet looks like:

Hase72_F-15K2_zpsd7b8fcf3.jpg

One thing bugs me though: Looking at the CFT outer pylons on sprue Q, I’m wondering if Hasegawa got the frontmost pylons wrong in length & shape.

Hase72_F-15K8_zps71378a70.jpg

The pictures I’ve seen of the real thing appear to show it longer in length and appears to extend more towards the aft.

Here is a picture of the front CFT pylon placed next to the real thing on a F-15SG.

Hase72_F-15KvsRSAFF-15SG_zpsd36dc499.jpg

The F-15SG picture is by ARC member Qian on one of his posts:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=231950&st=0&p=2211728&hl=f-15sg&fromsearch=1entry2211728

I'm wondering if it's an optical illusion since the real thing is attached at an angle.

By the way guys, what’s a badass loadout for our Singaporean Eagles? My knowledge is pretty limited on loadouts. I’m planning to do some shopping at the local model shop and maybe I’ll get some of the Hasegawa weapons sets. Do we use AIM-9X? What else would look good on an F-15SG? I want it to look dark & menacing.

Also, who makes a good 1/72 pilot with the JHMCS Helmet for the front seater?

Thanks in advance.

Nice find about the K/SG sprues, Jackman. I picked up the Miliverse decals too and was checking around to see if one could do a SG from this kit with some scratch building. Guess I'll wait for Hasegawa's release.

Modern Hobbies does a set of 1/72 pilots with the new helmets: http://www.modern-hobbies.com/pilots-and-aircrew/modern-usaf-us-navy-pilots-1990-present

Thanks, WW. Those helmets/figures look great!

Another thing I just found out. Hasegawa's instruction sheets calls for the cockpit insides to be painted Gunze Aqueous H57 or Mr Color 73 ( Aircraft Grey). I believe this is wrong because the cockpit of the F-15K/SG should be painted matte black ( to enable the Night Vision Goggles of the crew). I'm also not sure if the intake insides should be painted Mr. Color 308 (FS36375/Light Ghost Gray) as per the instructions or Mr. Color 305 (FS36118/Gunship Gray) like the rest of the fuselage.

I'm having a hard time believing Hasegawa's instructions. I think I'd rather follow the Academy F-15K colour callouts here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10086729z3/70/3

Hey Jackman,

Thank you very much for the photos and the first look, this is something that I was really curious about. For the same reasons as you, I think I will hold off buying mine until the eventual F-15SG is released. Yes, the Miliverse decals are awesome, and I'll also be using them for my future SG build.

A few points:

You are correct, the cockpit should be black. The insides of the intakes should be Gunship Grey like the rest of the fuselage, not light ghost grey.

As far as weapons go, Singapore bought the AIM-9X and the AIM-120C (cropped fins), the entire series of JDAMs, and modern GBUs.

I do not think that they are planning on hanging Harpoons or SLAM-ER underneath the wings like the F-15K however. There is already Harpoon in the RSAF inventory, but I have not seen anything indicating that it will go on the F-15SG. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Hasegawa molded the "long" stub pylons too short. A plug of scrap styrene really needs to go in there to make it accurate. I'm at work so I don't have all of my reference images, but looking at the sprue shot, I think that the other ones are too short as well.

I think it is a fairly safe bet to say that Hasegawa will include another mini sprue with the SG specific parts, as they will also be applicable for the next round of SA as well. There's also space in the lettering of the new sprues for it:

J: New CFTs, rear and middle stub pylons, long pylon etc, the basic Strike Eagle update sprue.

K: New antennas, including the basic tail stinger antennas

L: Squared off (late type) front stub pylons

M: Angled (early type) front stub pylons

N: Full feathered P&W exhaust

O: ? not seen yet

P: ? not seen yet

Q: Tiger Eye, long stub pylons and mid size vert stab bullets

R: ? not seen yet

S: GE exhuast

So I could see the SG specific parts being on any of sprue O,P, or R. The question I have is what would be on the other two? Some other general F-15 updates no applicable to the Strike Eagle line perhaps? I am a bit more than idly curious.

Thanks again for the photos JackMan!

Hoops

One thing I will say though, I'm not super excited about the yellow color used by Miliverse for their formation lights. Too bright, I'll probably use the kits formation light decals if they're any good.

Hoops

..As far as weapons go, Singapore bought the AIM-9X and the AIM-120C (cropped fins), the entire series of JDAMs, and modern GBUs.

..Hasegawa molded the "long" stub pylons too short. A plug of scrap styrene really needs to go in there to make it accurate. I'm at work so I don't have all of my reference images, but looking at the sprue shot, I think that the other ones are too short as well.

..Thanks again for the photos JackMan!

Hoops

You're welcome Hoops :thumbsup:

And thanks for the info on the loadouts. Looks like I have to get the following:

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGX72-11/Air

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGX72-9/Air

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGX72-13/Air

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGX72-12/Air

Although I thought I saw some of them in the Academy 1/72 Hornets & Vipers. Will have a look-see.

Bummer about the pylon. Maybe your friend Dr.P can do something about it? B)

Maybe he could also re-engineer the exhausts for the F-16/F-14D to suit the F-15K/SG/SA too.

Coming soon....review of the new Platz Mitsubishi F-1 :D

Coming soon....review of the new Platz Mitsubishi F-1 :D/>/>/>/>

Actually, scratch that. I see that Hobby Search has put up some fantastic pictures of the sprues. You can see for yourself how nice the rivet details are.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10183968p/10/1

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10183968

I couldn't stop fondling mine when I first laid hands on it. In a word, it's outstanding!

You can start to offload your old 70s-80s era Hasegawa ones. The new Platz kit is exquisite :worship: It should be; Platz kept putting off the release date for so long.

Edited by JackMan
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You're welcome, Hoops :thumbsup:/>

F-15SG up on Hobby Search: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10266167

Looks like the new sprue 'R' includes the main stuff ( triangular antennas + tail antennas) but not the couple of small antenna bumps on the top fuselage + a smaller scoop above the bigger auxiliary scoop along the CFT. Shouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild.

Disappointed that they didn't correct the short forward stub CFT pylons. Does anyone have a good sideview of one so that I can scrathbuild? Esp, one that has been removed from the pylon & is resting on a loader or something? All the ones I have seen have already been mounted onto the CFT so it's difficult to see from that angle.

Edited by JackMan

The Eagle has landed! Fresh from Japan :D

HASE72-F-15SG1_zps5a1ad778.jpg

( No, that's not all you get in the box :lol: I only included whatever's different from the F-15K box )

The different between the F-15K boxing & the F-15SG is sprue R in the middle:

HASE72-F-15SG6_zps6d53e326.jpg

Closer look at sprue R:

HASE72-F-15SG3_zps86cfe106.jpg

Contains the twin tail antennas unique to Singaporean Eagles ( on the sprue, each tail antenna has been split in the middle into 2 separate pieces, ie 4 pieces in total) + the 2 triangular antennas to be glued along the cockpit side:

HASE72-F-15SG2_zpsfd8af51e.jpg

Sadly, Hase still didn't bother fixing the CFT pylon issue:

HASE72-F-15SG4_zps29977597.jpg

The frontmost one on Korean & Singaporean Eagles should be longer ( not sure if Saudi ones have this feature too)

And the GE engine petals still look too thick:

HASE72-F-15SG5_zps6e78f348.jpg

They (Hase) got it reasonably well on their 1/72 Tomcats & GE engined F-16s but not on these newer kits :bandhead2:

The nice decal sheet:

HASE72-F-15SG8_zps72247357.jpg

ps. How does one change the title of the thread to include both F-15K and F-15SG? Doesn't seem to have an editing feature for that.

And the GE engine petals still look too thick:

HASE72-F-15SG5_zps6e78f348.jpg

They (Hase) got it reasonably well on their 1/72 Tomcats & GE engined F-16s but not on these newer kits :bandhead2:/>/>/>

You can probably replace them with a pair of GE exhausts from Dr Pepper Resins, might do the trick.

How did you get your hands on the kit so quickly? D:

Wolf, I pre-ordered the kit from HLJ. And since I already had a bunch of stuff waiting for shipment in HLJ's Private Warehouse, I had it shipped together with these other items. The shipping calculator automatically calculated the most cost effective shipping method which turned out to be Express shipping. So I got it within days of the kit being released. :thumbsup: