Read this topic from another forum...

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=25979&p=260513&hilit=sheen#p260513

Now, do you see how he achieved the raptor sheen? I like it. So, I was going to purchase the Citadel paints at a better time when more money is available, and I was wondering what you guys would think about mixing Tamiya Medium Grey and Vallejo Chrome Silver and brushing that as the silver grey mix that Ben Montgomery was thinking about. If you don't think that'll work, can you give me another idea please? If you do, tell me.

Hi AC0,

Are Tamiya and Valejo paints compatible?

I'd experiment with them before you try to paint your model. I've got a sneaking suspicion that they will be difficult to mix.

The Citadel colours mix together beautifully although you'll need to buy the new colours as Boltgun metal has been replaced. (It's a similar shade with a different name.)

Also, the pigment in the Citadel paint is very fine which gives that realistic looking smooth sheen when mixed with a grey base. The Valejo metallics have larger particles in the paint medium and may result in a "sparkly" effect. Nicely festive but not all together realistic.

HTH

Cheers.

Do you think that Tamiya and citadel will mix

You are welcome AC0.

I'm not entirely sure but I believe Tamiya acrylics are not water soluble. I think they require a seperate solvent.(X-20A)

I'm guessing that attempting to mix Tamiya with Citadel might end in a mess but I have n't tried it.

Citadel and Valejo would mix as they are both soluble in water.

HTH

I spent a few months trying the various methods suggested on the Internet to duplicate the Raptor Sheen on a 1/48 Academy F-22.

In the end, I found that the best results were achieved using the paints and color proportions found on the instructions from the 1/48 Hasegawa F-22 kit. The paints are a little expensive, but worth it. The Hasegawa instructions aren't the clearest in identifying the specific paints, but once I figured them out they worked well.

Hello again AC0

Those citadels finish nice, right?

I've found the Citadel paint range to be very good whether brush or spray painted. Even the whizz can primers are lovely and smooth straight out of the can.

I don't think that the man described the grey base and silver that he used for the first coat. Do you think that he used citadel paints

One of the excellent properties of the Citadel range is they all mix well together.

If I were to attempt the "Raptor sheen" I think I'd mix the metallic shades with the greys.

I'd choose grey shades that looked the same as the cammo colours (in the old colours, Fortress grey was a good match for the light shade, Codex grey worked well for the darker shade) and add a tiny drop of a metallic colour before experimenting. It's possible that using the darkest metallic shade (I think it's called "Lead Belcher" in the current system) with the dark grey and lightest shade of silver (Runefang Steel) with the lighter grey might yield a reasonable look although I've never tried it personally.

In this exercise I'd take a "less is more" approach. I've found that the metallics go a long way so anything more than a drop in the mixture will just make the grey look silver.

However, if you get the balance right you'll be rewarded by a very convincing "Raptor sheen" effect.

Have a play around with all of the colours and see which you like best before commiting to your model though.

Cheers

Well, in my model I tried something different...acland and Gunze...and I am happy with the end result!

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/zark67/MODEL%20GALLERY/1-1.jpg

...in the sunlight you can really see the "gliter", while it looks "normal" in "shady" conditions!

Edited by zark